Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #91
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Ok, so on Monday the initial plan was to sleep in (thinking we were going to be at the MK EMH til 3am), grab breakfast/lunch at Landscape of Flavors and then head to Wide World of Sports for the Braves/Mets spring training game. We had decided the day before that we wanted to spend more time in the Parks and that we would not be going to the game.

We still slept in a bit and got to EPCOT 10:30, 11. Barb texted me to let me know that they were there as well and we set a time to meet up for a slushie!

While Andrew got his morning coffee, I stopped to meet this guy …

Yes, I was the sad adult all alone in line for Duffy. I absolutely love him and hadn’t been able to “meet” him any of our previous trips.

Then we wandered towards France, stopping at

For a breakfast snack .

The pineapple upside down cake. This was tasty, but small. The cake was nice and moist and the pineapple nice and sweet. A nice snack before our Dismeet!

We took our time enjoying the weather wandering thru Canada and the UK before ultimately meeting up with Barb & family in France for some slushies!

Grey Goose for me, Grand Marnier for Barb. Yum! I think these slushies are my favorite drink anywhere. Good thing they are a bit pricey because they go down way too easy!

We chatted a bit before parting ways. On our way to lunch at Via Napoli, Andrew and I stopped at the one booth I really wanted to try.

We enjoyed the Brisket, jalapeno cornbread and collard greens …

This was absolutely delicious. Possibly my favorite bit of food for the whole trip. The meat was lean with great flavor and oh my, the collard greens! I just loved them. Since Andrew didn’t care for them, he had the whole piece of cornbread so I didn’t try that. He liked it though. This was a really good plate of food!

Loved the back of the Woody topiary …

We took our time wandering over to Italy for our lunch …

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Take on the Land! - July 2010 Trip Report
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #92
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Via Napoli was a late addition to our plan. I made the ADR on Sunday once we realized that we would not be going to the ballgame. The only time available was 2pm which was fine with us. Weird though because the restaurant was fairly empty and they were taking walkups.

First the menu …

We ordered iced teas and decided to split the Arancini - Fried saffron risotto balls filled with mozzarella and meat ragu - $11.00

And the inside …

These are really good. Nice melty cheese, firm rice. I didn’t really taste any meat . Very good.

We both had pizza …

Wood Fired Authentic Pizza Napoletana - Piccante. Italian Spicy Sausage, tomato, mozzarella. Individual 18.00.

Wood Fired Authentic Pizza Napoletana - Pepperoni. Spicy pepperoni, Tomato Mozzarella. Individual 18.00

I dream of this pizza at home. Nice light sauce, gooey cheese, smokey crust. I love the char on the bottm. We didn’t expect to but each ate just about our whole pizza.

We were stuffed but couldn’t leave without sharing the Zeppole Di Catarina - Ricotta Cheese Fritters, served with whipped cream, chocolate sauce - $10.00

This is one of our favorite Disney desserts. I could just drink the chocolate. The zeppole are nice and light. The chocolate is more of a dark chocolate than milk and the whipped cream isn’t too sweet. We ended up eating them all!

Via Napoli is certainly pricey for a pizza lunch. With the dining plan it doesn’t matter. Paying out of pocket we would probably share an individual pizza and leave much less stuffed!

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #93
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Dinner was Andrew’s only request for the trip … La Hacienda de San Angel. I made a 7:30 ADR hoping to maybe get a table with a view of Illuminations.

The menu was different than the ones I had seen online prior to the trip … mostly the appetizers.

Of course, I had to have an Avocado Margarita along with an iced tea …

Oh, and our table had the perfect view!

We were so excited! And our waiter was perfect about pacing the meal so we would be there for Illuminations.

We decided to share two appetizers – Queso Fundido – melted cheese with poblano peppers, chorizo and flour tortiallas $12,75 and the Gorditas – Corn cakes stuffed with chorizo, potatos and arugula, topped with chipotle sauce and sour cream $10.50

If I dream about the Via Napoli pizza, Andrew dreams about this queso. He absolutely loves it and I agree that it is very tasty especially with the chorizo.
The Gordita was Ok. I felt that it needed something. It was a bit bland.

For dinner we knew we would share the La Hacienda - Mixed grill offering New York strip, chicken al pastor, chorizo and vegetables, served with beans and fresh salsas $49.95

Its an absolute ton of food for two people and even with a 17 year old boy we could not eat it all. He prefers the steak and rice, I prefer the chicken and black beans and I love the chorizo. Neither of us ate many of the veggies because everything else was so good.

Neither of us were hungry for dessert but since we had the dining plan and we wanted to see Illuminations, we ordered. The waiter did tell us that we did not have to and that we were welcome to just stay and enjoy the show as the restaurant was not seating any longer. I thought it was nice of him to let us know that.

Andrew surprised me by trying the Empanada de Manzana - puff pastry filled with sauteed caramel apples, served with dulce de leche ice cream and cajeta (caramel sauce) $7.95

I don’t think I have ever seen him eat a fruit dessert. He said he just felt like something different. He said it was fine but we were just full so he didn’t eat much.

I tried the Helado de Maiz – corn ice cream served with candied popcorn

The ice cream was very tasty … it tasted like kettle corn to me. The popcorn was not candied, but the saltiness was good with the creamy ice cream so it did not matter. I really enjoyed this but couldn’t even put a dent in it.

And of course, the best part of our experience – Illuminations!

This was just amazing. When the storyteller blows out the “torches”, the restaurant turned off the lights. Very cool. We did the Cruise last year and I actually think this view was better.

This ended up being one of our favorite Disney meals ever. The waiter was very good. The food was delicious and the view was the icing on the cake. This is Andrew’s only “must do” in August. We don’t expect to get as lucky with our table but even without the view, this is one of our favorite spots.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #94
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

I dream of the pizza at Via Nappoli too! It is so good!!

I can get a lot of mexican food where I live so I don't go for it in WDW but your dinner looks really good and your view is spectacular!!
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #95
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps View Post
I dream of the pizza at Via Nappoli too! It is so good!!

I can get a lot of mexican food where I live so I don't go for it in WDW but your dinner looks really good and your view is spectacular!!
We don't have a "great" mexican place near us so we do really look forward to it in WDW. I get what you are saying because we have a really good family owned hibachi place in our town so I don't even consider Teppen Edo even though it generally gets good reviews.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #96
happy2012
♫ ♪There's a great big beautiful tomorrow Shinin' at the end of ev'ry day♫ ♪

Loved the review of Hacienda! It looks delicious!!! Glad to know we could share the portion as well. How cute is the pop corn ice cream!?!
happy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #97
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

That view is amazing and that queso looks awesome! Andrew has good taste!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #98
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

All caught up with your reviews and I really enjoyed reading about your dining adventures! La Hacienda is one of our absolute favourites too. We always get the La Hacienda platter, it's absolutely delicious! Hubby and I both had the chocolate mousse the last time we were there, but I'm very intrigued by that popcorn ice cream, I might just have to try that if it's still on the menu during our fall trip.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Sept/Oct 2013 Dining Report: The Incredible Expanding Women - 14 Days On The DxDP - COMPLETE!
Sept/Oct 2012 Dining Report: 14 Days of Gluttony AKA Doing Free Dining Again! COMPLETE!
My first Dining Report: It's Time To Eat Again?!? 10 days of free dining with pics! COMPLETE!

1985-2004-Many, many offsite visits; March '05-POP; Dec '06-POFQ; Aug/Sept '07-POFQ; Sept '10-POFQ; Sept/Oct '11-POFQ; Sept/Oct '12-POFQ, Sept/Oct '13-POFQ; Sept/Oct '14-POFQ
MrsB1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #99
VikingInMouseEars
DIS Veteran

Enjoying your reviews! Looking forward to more.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:15 AM   #100
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad that you had such an awesome meal at La Hacienda! What a great view. Oh darn! No more Botana appetizer. What time was your dinner reservation? We have an 8:15pm on August 27th.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #101
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2012 View Post
Loved the review of Hacienda! It looks delicious!!! Glad to know we could share the portion as well. How cute is the pop corn ice cream!?!
The platter is meant for two but I think 3 or even 4 could share it especially with appetizers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
That view is amazing and that queso looks awesome! Andrew has good taste!
Yes, we were so lucky to get that table! And yes, he does ... the queso is really good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsB1228 View Post
All caught up with your reviews and I really enjoyed reading about your dining adventures! La Hacienda is one of our absolute favourites too. We always get the La Hacienda platter, it's absolutely delicious! Hubby and I both had the chocolate mousse the last time we were there, but I'm very intrigued by that popcorn ice cream, I might just have to try that if it's still on the menu during our fall trip.

Thanks so much for sharing!
I had planned on the mousse but couldn't resist trying the ice cream. It was definitely an interesting dessert. I may try the mousse in August. Hacienda is one of the few repeat restaurants we will be going to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingInMouseEars View Post
Enjoying your reviews! Looking forward to more.
Thank you! Unfortunately we are almost done! But more will be coming in August!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
I'm so glad that you had such an awesome meal at La Hacienda! What a great view. Oh darn! No more Botana appetizer. What time was your dinner reservation? We have an 8:15pm on August 27th.
Our ADR time was at 7:10 but we were late because of an enourmous FP line at Test Track (which broke down just as we were leaving the building! People were actually slanted in the cars on the outside track!). I think we got there about 7:20 and were seated about 7:30. I would try to get your ADR a bit earlier because the window tables were pretty full when we were seated and no one left. The restaurant was probably about 2/3 full when Illuminations started.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #102
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

The last day of a Disney trip is always sad. We got up early Tuesday morning, sat & looked at each other for a few minutes. Discussed whether to go spend a couple of hours in the MK or to just go back to sleep. We didn't want to break our "sleep in" tradition this trip so back to sleep we went!

I woke up a bit before Andrew and began reading the bounceback offer. Not having a job, I knew that I should have just put it down. But I didn't. Nope, I called to get price quotes for the 30% room only discountj for the moderate resorts. Woke Andrew and we decided to give Caribbean Beach a try. We will be checking in on August 11th and staying thru the 20th. I know I will make that trip happen.

We left thru room about 11, went to RAC to get our boarding passes and then went to Landscape of Flavors to use our last two credits.

I had the World Flavors Breakfast Platter - scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, Portuguese sausage, bacon and mini naan bread $7.59

Andrew had the Breakfast Sandwich - Naan bread with scrambled egg, slab bacon and cheese sauce $5.99

The platter was something I really wanted to try and I ended up disappointed. The sausage had some type of spice in it that I didn't care for. The potatoes were undercooked. I ended up eating the eggs with the naan.

The only part of Andrew's sandwich I tried was the bacon. It was very thick, smokey and delicious. Much different from the thin bacon I was given. He enjoyed the sandwich very much.

I did some last minute shopping and we hung out waiting for the ME (which was over an hour late! I was freaking out!)

The trip was over. But the usual sadness didn't really settle in as I knew we would be back in August. There will be some serious sadness at the end of that trip!

Up next, a preview of the next, and possibly last, Mom & Son trip...

Old 04-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #103
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

As I said in the first post, DH wants me to have Mom & Son trip with Andrew in August. It is definitely going to be a bittersweet trip for me. First, I am not sure when we will get back to Disney as Andrew will be going to college in the Fall of 2014. Second and most "upsetting" is that I am fairly sure this will be the last "Mom & Son" trip. I believe that Andrew and I will go to Disney together in the future but at some point he will have a girlfriend and then a family. And although I look forward to those days, I am definitely sad that I will be "losing" my baby. (Dramatic, I know). So I know the trip will be a rough one for me and that there will be many tears upon leaving.

Ok, enough melancholy. As those of you that have followed along know, we love Deluxe Dining both for the prepaid factor and the food factor. That said, this past trip we had a day that we only ate QS so there was no schedule to follow. It was nice to not be racing the clock. Also with DxDDP, we are always fulll so there are many snacks that we have never gotten a chance to try. This will be the trip to fix that!

The plan will be to share most meals ... and probably more appetizers than entrees. I would much rather share 3 or even 4 appetizers than have an entree anyway.

Also, in the past we went to Disney for a long trip in August. Only going once a year, we couldn't resist eating at old favorites. Having the past two long weekend trips allowed us to eat at some of those favorites so in August the plan is to try many new places.

Finally, we all know that I am Queen of dining changes. I really do not want to do that this time. I want to say that my current plan is 90% complete. I am allowing myself one dinner change if something comes up between now & the trip that I cannot resist.

So, where will we being eating? See the next post for the list and my reasoning ...

Last edited by GoofySon'sMom; 04-08-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #104
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Ok, here we go ... any and all opinions are welcome & wanted!

We will leaving Saturday, August the 10th but are taking the train (FREE!) so all meals will be on Board!

Scheduled arrival is about 10:30am on Sunday the 11th. Our departure flight is at 7pm on the 20th so we will have most of that day.

Here are my planned restaurants -

Port Royale at Caribbean Beach - upon arrival as I know we will be hungry

Tony's - yes, I know, I know. The food is so-so at best but I really love te restaurant. Plan as of now is to share appetizers and desserts avoiding entrees all together.

Coral Reef - ditto the above. I really like this restaurant and DS and I had a special meal here in 2008. I credit this restaurant with his opening his food palate to trying new things. It is a must for me if this is our last M&S trip.

Restaurant Marrakesh - new for us. Some place I really want to try that I have been afraid of. Andrew isn't thrilled. I assume he will enjoy the belly dancer!

La Hacienda - Andrew's #1 request.

Turf Club at Saratoga Springs - new for us. I grew up in Saratoga and we have never been to the resort. I am curious to try it. Again, the plan is appetizers only (mostly for the buffalo pulled chicken)

Fultons - new for us. This will be for lunch. Since we are learning to like more types of seafood I want to give it a go. Plus I want to eat on the boat!

Yak & Yeti - another Andrew request. Booking the last seating so we can leave AK when the park is closed. Love the wontons!

Nine Dragons - new for us. Another that I have been afraid of. Time to give it a try.

T-REX - new for us. Dinosaurs - enough said.

Kimonos - new for us. Our new found love of sushi makes this one a must.

Trails End - new for us. I really want to take a look around Fort Wilderness. Plus I may just wander over to the Chip & Dale Singalong!

Beaches & Cream - new for us. I cannot believe we have never made it to B&C. Not sure if this will be a meal or just ice cream!

50's Prime Time - Andrew is really anti this one. Something is drawing me to it. I s'pose this may change.

Narcoossee's - I initially said no signatures as I don't want to deal with having to go back & change. But again, this one is calling me. I booked it mid week so that we may actually want to head to the room for a rest.

The Plaza - mostly because there isn't anything of real interest to me around the MK. We do enjoy it here but it isn't a must do and we could change our mind and just do QS.

Speaking of QS, there are a few places I want to try: WPE for Breakfast, the sandwiches at Starring Rolls, the new Quinoa Salad and pulled beef sandwich at Tamu Tamu in AK as well as several items around EPCOT. I am not making any ADRS for the 20th and we won't have to catch the ME until about 4pm so this day will be open for QS dining. My feeling is that we will end up in EPCOT as we will be spending the night before in the MK.

So there you have it. I also hope to actually get to do the Characters in Flight balloon ride, go to Splitsville, meet up with Brenda & Em and check out some rides and attractions we have never done - mainly Astro Orbiter, Splash Mountain (we have been chicken) and Tom Sawyer Island.

Thoughts, Comments, Opinions?

Old 04-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #105
TeresaNJ

Knows the tricks to get the Tag Fairies' attention! Likes all pretty colors Gets teary when she hears Garth sing "The Dance"

Aww, sad that your report is over! I really enjoyed it. I guess I will just have to read your other reports until your next trip! I love all the restaurants you have chosen for your August trip. Trust me, your son will love the belly dancer, LOL!

I know how you feel about your next trip possibly being you & your son's last trip alone together. My younger son (he is 17 months younger than my oldest son, LOL) absolutely adores WDW, and he and one of his good friends went on many trips with DH & I, apart from his younger sister and older brother. While the other two like WDW a lot, middle son loves it! I was leery as to whether things would change when he got married. As it turns out, his wife is now more of a Disney nut than all of us!

We've had some awesome trips together. The bonus is that now we get to bring the grandbabies with us in October, a first trip for all four of them! So while you might be sad now, look to the future! Besides, he'll still probably be able to squeeze in a trip or two during his college years. Heck, my nephew managed to come visit me with two of his roommates, squeezing into my Boardwalk Villa room, when I was doing a solo trip back in April of 2011!

Sisters, Sisters...December 2012 TR...BWV & VWL
TeresaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: