Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
momtoleasawav
Mouseketeer

tables in wonder versus dining plan

Dining plan is so expensive for 5 people. But I have the thought of spending $100.00 to save money on dining. Any thoughts on which is the better deal?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoleasawav View Post
Dining plan is so expensive for 5 people. But I have the thought of spending $100.00 to save money on dining. Any thoughts on which is the better deal?
For us, TiW is a huge benefit. We go to DW several times a year so the card has more than paid for itself. I believe the break even point is around $500 .. then you're saving 20% on all your meals (and booze).. Some people don't like that the tip is automatically added in (18%), but I don't mind it at all. And with TiW, you order what you want -- you don't have to order the most expensive thing on the menu to try to maximize your value (like on the DPP)..
davedmaine is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

As long as you will spend enough to save on the TIW, it is still a discount. And it is harder and harder to work a discount into the dining plan these days.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

I am super analytical and have run the numbers comparing DDP and TIW for several of our trips. (I've calculated exactly what we would order at the restaurants with DDP and without including tax and tip.) TIW always comes out as a better deal for us. I've finally stopped calculating each trip and just trust it now.
As for the automatic 18% tip, we usually tip 20%, so that saves us money too. I only go out of my way to tip extra if the service is extraordinary; otherwise I leave it.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
2girlsR2good
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr&momto2boys View Post
As for the automatic 18% tip, we usually tip 20%, so that saves us money too. I only go out of my way to tip extra if the service is extraordinary; otherwise I leave it.

For us too. We can't always have TIW with the way our trips work out, but when we do, it's great.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
ElizabethG
When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me!

I love TIW. We can use it for two trips even though we go once per year. When we switched, we ate differently. We can split a QS meal or eat at as many TS meals as we like. I enjoy dessert, but I don't need it at each and every meal. We also eat breakfast in our rooms. It is so much more flexible.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #7
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

If you already have or are planning to get an AP, or are a DVC member or FL resident, I definitely think it's worth exploring. We've used the DDP several times (both free and paid-for) and thought it was a good deal in years past when we had children 3-9 and did several character meals. Now that my oldest has turned into a Disney adult, I'm leaning towards getting a TIW card so that we have more flexibility about what and where we eat.

Coming up: Long weekend at CSR for Veterans' Day

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: