Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
Gracefulskinny
DIS Veteran

Signature Dining... IS It really Worth it on the Dining Plan?

My Husband and I are taking an adult only anniversary trip in October at POR. We are trying to decide whether or not to go for Yachtsman's on our actual anniversary and use the two credits or save the extra credits for other restaurants and go for one of the lesser known off the beaten path restaurants like the Turf Club.

Haven't been to Disney in 10 years and this is actually the first time I am the one planing the trip (I was a kid in the past so my parents always did the planing). Advice and opinions would be helpful!
Old 02-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
WDWFANCBIIIME
DIS Veteran

It really depends where you go and what you order... I personally do not like Yachtsman at all, however I LOVE Flying Fish and if you order higher priced items like the Strip (which is amazing) and an expensive dessert you may get a value out of the dining plan However if you are looking for a restaurant off the beaten path and 1 table credit Sanaa is fabulous especially if you get a window table when you can see the animals!!!
WDWFANCBIIIME is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

For most restaurants and dishes, you will get better monetary value by skipping the signatures on dining plan credits.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracefulskinny View Post
My Husband and I are taking an adult only anniversary trip in October at POR. We are trying to decide whether or not to go for Yachtsman's on our actual anniversary and use the two credits or save the extra credits for other restaurants and go for one of the lesser known off the beaten path restaurants like the Turf Club.

Haven't been to Disney in 10 years and this is actually the first time I am the one planing the trip (I was a kid in the past so my parents always did the planing). Advice and opinions would be helpful!
If you're on the regular DDP, it is difficult to get your daily value out of a signature. One TS credit is "worth" approx $35, so with a signature, you need to "spend" about $70. That's hard to do with just an entree, dessert and non-alcoholic drink.

If you have the DxDDP, it's a little easier because you get the app which will put you over that price point, and the value of each TS credit is closer to $30 on this plan.
sharonabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
Gracefulskinny
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWFANCBIIIME View Post
It really depends where you go and what you order... I personally do not like Yachtsman at all, however I LOVE Flying Fish and if you order higher priced items like the Strip (which is amazing) and an expensive dessert you may get a value out of the dining plan However if you are looking for a restaurant off the beaten path and 1 table credit Sanaa is fabulous especially if you get a window table when you can see the animals!!!
I thought about Sanaa But while DH enjoys Indian food I find that even being around it makes me sick for some reason. I have weird Stomach issues that can flair up without notice. The description of the cuisine there makes me nervous enough that its a no go. Shame though...cause from the pictures it really seems like a special place.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Gracefulskinny
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post
If you're on the regular DDP, it is difficult to get your daily value out of a signature. One TS credit is "worth" approx $35, so with a signature, you need to "spend" about $70. That's hard to do with just an entree, dessert and non-alcoholic drink.

If you have the DxDDP, it's a little easier because you get the app which will put you over that price point, and the value of each TS credit is closer to $30 on this plan.
Thats kind of what I have started to think. With so many restaurants to chose from surely there are good options for a nice romantic diner on one credit. Any Suggestions besides the Turf Club? Keep in Mind that I have trouble with the spices in the Indian cuisine so have ruled out the AKL restaurants.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
TiggerTrigger
The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers Is Tiggers Are Wonderful Things!!!

I don't think it's worth it on the regular ddp. We usually pay OOP in those situations. DxDP is a little bit different since the appetizer is included for those 2 credits...and in that case we wouldn't pay OOP.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracefulskinny View Post
Thats kind of what I have started to think. With so many restaurants to chose from surely there are good options for a nice romantic diner on one credit. Any Suggestions besides the Turf Club? Keep in Mind that I have trouble with the spices in the Indian cuisine so have ruled out the AKL restaurants.
What about Captain's Grill at The Yachtsman?

Some other possibilities for me would be Grand Floridian Cafe, Kouzzina, Kona Cafe.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:42 AM   #9
shortchef
Mouseketeer

We really enjoy The Turf Club and if you are looking for a steak house restaurant, it's a great pick. Food and service are excellent, prices for Disney are reasonable. The outdoor seating area is spacious and beautiful, one of our favorite spots for a romantic meal. Captains Grille is very nice too but I prefer Turf Club on all counts.
shortchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

On a straight monetary analysis, if you're on the regular dining plan, no, signatures are not worth the 2 credits.

If you're on the deluxe, it can be worth it if you stick to a 1 TS breakfast or early lunch and a signature dinner per day.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
Gracefulskinny
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortchef View Post
We really enjoy The Turf Club and if you are looking for a steak house restaurant, it's a great pick. Food and service are excellent, prices for Disney are reasonable. The outdoor seating area is spacious and beautiful, one of our favorite spots for a romantic meal. Captains Grille is very nice too but I prefer Turf Club on all counts.
That's what I was gathering but glad to hear that straight from someone who has actually been there. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
mb_uh
DIS Veteran

For us it was but it depends on what you would order.

Apps 9-17
Entree 29-52
Dessert 9-14
Drink 3-5

plus tax You could easily save if you like more expensive options- DH got the porter house and took his leftovers for the next day's breakfast. We love Yachtsman, we have been 2-3 times and would to go back.
mb_uh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #13
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_uh View Post
For us it was but it depends on what you would order.

Apps 9-17
Entree 29-52
Dessert 9-14
Drink 3-5

plus tax You could easily save if you like more expensive options- DH got the porter house and took his leftovers for the next day's breakfast. We love Yachtsman, we have been 2-3 times and would to go back.
Regular DDP doesn't include the apps. So just taking the high end of the other three, you're at $69 which is right at break even for the $35 value of a TS credit on the regular DDP. Order anything less than the most expensive and you lose value.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #14
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

We did both Turf Club and Narccoossee in our last trip (see my reviee in my sig).

Narcoossee was wonderful but for the price, we enjoyed Turf Club nearly as much.

Turf Club was a delightful surprise. Wonderful atmosphere. I honestly didn't think I would be as impressed as I grew up in country clubs where my parents had memberships. But it was just delightful. We sat on the patio and had a very relaxing low key dinner.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: