Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #31
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danhockey04 View Post
Donate them to that medal organization. Much better cause than giving to those that did not earn the medal, no matter how much you trained, you only earn the medal if you finish.
We don't take donated medals that have not been earned at Medals4Mettle. It makes absolutely no sense to give a medal to someone, telling them to continue pushing on when the medal you have in your hand isn't from someone that pushed on.

I can say that Disney doesn't give you an option when giving medals for being swept. Those volunteers are the best around and it makes them feel better to give the medals. Most people took them off immediately after receiving them. Of course there are going to be those few that parade around with an unearned medal. Disney isn't the only race series that does this. I agree that no one has any business wearing a medal they didn't earn from crossing a finish line.

On that note, if you do want to donate your earned medals, this is a local news story about our visit with these medals on Wednesday and proof of why earned medals are only accepted by Medals4Mettle:
http://www.11alive.com/news/article/...for-sick-kids-
Old 03-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #32
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

I think IF they are going to give them out, they should at least take them off the lanyards. Honestly, I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. It does bother me that so many people are showing up undertrained. Only by putting in the miles do you learn to listen to your body and respect the miles, the heat, and the humidity.
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #33
timmac
DIS Veteran

Been a while since I've frequented this board, but stopped by as a result of a discussion I was having on facebook, where I pointed out that the runDisney races have gotten pretty bad regarding untrained individuals. To the original point, I would say that if you don't finish, you don't get a medal.

A statistic to consider, make of it what you will: 19% of finishers of the princess didn't meet the 3:30 pace requirement, at least 1500 of whom were over the 3:45 mark. I realize some stuff can happen with regards to crowd, weather, injury, etc, but that's an awful lot of people substantially slower than the requirement. Of course, it's up to each individual's personal recognizance to decide what issues may have been present or whatever. That said, I look at that as a pretty strong indicator that a lot of people don't take it seriously and don't train properly. That so many successfully finished anyway suggests things like corral jumping were taking place as well. All in all, it feels like something of a disservice to the sport.
timmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #34
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmac View Post
Been a while since I've frequented this board, but stopped by as a result of a discussion I was having on facebook, where I pointed out that the runDisney races have gotten pretty bad regarding untrained individuals. To the original point, I would say that if you don't finish, you don't get a medal.

A statistic to consider, make of it what you will: 19% of finishers of the princess didn't meet the 3:30 pace requirement, at least 1500 of whom were over the 3:45 mark. I realize some stuff can happen with regards to crowd, weather, injury, etc, but that's an awful lot of people substantially slower than the requirement. Of course, it's up to each individual's personal recognizance to decide what issues may have been present or whatever. That said, I look at that as a pretty strong indicator that a lot of people don't take it seriously and don't train properly. That so many successfully finished anyway suggests things like corral jumping were taking place as well. All in all, it feels like something of a disservice to the sport.
I think part of it is all the stops. I talked to a few people who can run a half in 2:30 but it took them 3:30 because of stopping for character pics. I only stopped a few times with characters but I also stepped off course a few time to take photos and I was 20 minutes slower than my last half. That said worked hard to come in at 3:11. I did not want to be over the 3:30 limit even though I was far from the sweepers.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #35
timmac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
I think part of it is all the stops. I talked to a few people who can run a half in 2:30 but it took them 3:30 because of stopping for character pics. I only stopped a few times with characters but I also stepped off course a few time to take photos and I was 20 minutes slower than my last half. That said worked hard to come in at 3:11. I did not want to be over the 3:30 limit even though I was far from the sweepers.
I don't doubt that's part of it. And certainly the general crowding doesn't help either. But again, it still ties into the overall preparation. At risk of sounding a bit hard-nosed, I lean towards thinking that one should plan for the time they may lose stopping for pictures and the like.

Either way, it still remains that a lot of people simply aren't trained. Though it's hard to judge accurately from numbers alone, I'm sure many of us know the anecdotal references of those who've pointed out that "wow, I have only done three miles at a time, and it was like 17 minutes a mile, but I'm still doing this race" or something similar.
timmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #36
JCH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmac View Post

I am one of those, because I stopped for 8 pictures. I only stop at Disney races. MANY of the people with higher times are 2:30-3 hour halfers who spent 30 minutes or more in picture lines, and ended up with times above 3:30.

Edit: And yes, we do account for time. We know what corral we are in, and therefore how much extra time we have for pictures. I know I run a 3 hourish half on a normal day, so a 3:15 on a day that hot and humid, so in Corral E, I can spend no more than 45 minutes on pictures and bathroom stops in order to finish. It's highly calculated.

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012/3 ToT 10 Miler 2012/3 WDW Half 2013 Dumbo Double Dare 2013!
WDW 10k/Enchanted 10K 2014

Last edited by JCH; 03-01-2013 at 01:14 PM.
JCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #37
kanadar
Mouseketeer

This was my first half marathon and I wasn't sure how I felt about this topic UNTIL I finished the race. I worked my butt off to finish, had to walk more than I wanted to but I made sure I was keeping a fast walking pace, passing people who were slow jogging. When I finished I was proud of myself. I see the medal and think to myself you EARNED that you did it!

If I had been swept I can't say with 100% certainty but I think I would turn down the medal. I wouldn't want it knowing that I didn't finish the race. I agree, I don't know if making the 5k medals smaller, similar versions would help but I know I ran passed several people who did not look like they should have been there. Its dangerous.
kanadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #38
andrea9873
Mouseketeer

It truly did bother me to find out that they were going to hand over a medal to me if I would have been picked up by the sweeper vans.

Before mile 6 (Frontierland bathrooms to be exact) I started feeling sick, dizzy, nauseous, short of breath. As a relative newbie runner I began training for Princess Half in mid-November never missed a run and stuck to my schedule in sub30 temps and did NOT prepare to meet the villainous humidity. I was on track to finish PHM at or right under 3:00.
However, my already slowed down 13-14mm pace fell to a ridiculous walking pace of 18mm + by mile 7. I continued to pull off at each medic tent to get checked out. I ended up at the tail end of runners and watched many people get picked up as I made it up the over pass over World Drive. I hadn't planned to stop for many photos but after realizing that I was completely missing my normal 3 hour finish time along with the medic stops I also stopped for Genie and the mile markers.

When I heard they were still being given a medal I felt so angry but even more determined to finish the 13.1. Here I was almost passing out from heat exhaustion, dehydration, basically crawling to the finish, but damn it I was going to EARN that medal.

Handing a medal over to someone who didn't complete the 13.1 miles in its entirety cheapens it for those of us that DID finish and it really pisses me off. So my question to runDisney is, did the pain sweat and tears I had to endure to EARN my medal doing the entire 13.1 miles was for nothing? Really?

I would NOT have accepted any medal if I had come in on the van.

First Trip to WDW with our DD (10) and DS (7) All Star Sports - April 2002.**Blessed with DVC, Beach Club Villas - March 2003, Villas at Wilderness Lodge - July 16 - 24, 2005, Vero Beach Resort July 24 - 27, 2005, Animal Kingdom Lodge July 27 - 30, 2005, Beach Club Villas & Coronado Springs - March 2006, Sheraton Vistana Villas / Beach Club Villas / Disney's Hilton Head Island, SC - July 2006, Disney Cruise 3 nights - Jan 17 - 20, 2008, Saratoga Springs Resort Feb 27 - March 3 2009, Animal Kingdom Villas / Old Key West Villas August 13 - 19 2009, Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort June 13 - 19, 2010, Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort / Disney's Boardwalk Villas December 23 - 28, 2010 The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge Feb 10 - 12, 2011 (Romantic getaway with DH) / BLT Oct 2011

Last edited by andrea9873; 03-01-2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: more info
andrea9873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #39
cimrk01
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
I think part of it is all the stops. I talked to a few people who can run a half in 2:30 but it took them 3:30 because of stopping for character pics.
Quote:
I don't doubt that's part of it. And certainly the general crowding doesn't help either. But again, it still ties into the overall preparation. At risk of sounding a bit hard-nosed, I lean towards thinking that one should plan for the time they may lose stopping for pictures and the like.

Either way, it still remains that a lot of people simply aren't trained. - See more at: http://www.disboards.com/newreply.ph....N0x6I6Zv.dpuf
Me and my running partner were trained to run a half between 2:15-2:25. We were able to land in "B" corral. Weeks leading up to the race we knew we weren't going to finish in the expected 2:30 mark for our corral due to her IT band flaring up. Being her pacing leader I introduced running intervals to accommodate her and estimated during our final long run a week before the race we could finish in 2:53 easily.

Having said that, this was to be our first half running together and decided days before the race to stop for only three photos along the course. The Pirates, Mickey and Minnie at the Castle, and the Villains. We expected a 5-10 minute wait per photo.

Each line ended up taking roughly 20minutes. You can guess as to when we finished.

Every time we resumed running after each photo we attempted to gain back some of the time we had lost while waiting by weaving between crowds and running mostly on the grass after mile 8+ trying to avoid walkers but the lines for the photos killed our final time. It is what it is. But knew going into our first half this wasn't the race to do photos and expect to PR. We enjoyed it and we were certainly not under trained. Just didn't expect the lines to have been as long as they were.

Last edited by cimrk01; 03-01-2013 at 07:24 PM.
cimrk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #40
Stitch_lover_Sith
So I want to weigh in on this discussion

I think at the end of the day what this debate comes down to is how you feel about a medal. I have personal experience, I did not have an official finish time for Hawaii 70.3 three years ago. They were nice enough to give me my medal and finisher shirt. I did finish and quite frankly I would be pissed if anyone had said I did not deserve the medal they gave me. People are getting out of bed at 3am and doing a Disney race. If they started then they deserve something to show for that.

What the question really is when you are in that situation will you take the medal or not. No one else has the right to decide for you or look down on your decision.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #41
ghoulishgirl
I love Halloween and am afraid of butterflies

I have recently heard about some people who cheat at Disney races. People who jump in at Epcot and look fresh as a daisy, cross the line and collect a medal.

That is far worse to me than doing the best you can on that particular day and not being able to finish. The heat got the best of my mom at the Princess this year (who is almost 70). She made the choice for health and yeah, they gave her a medal. She tells everyone she wasn't able to finish and a trip to the hospital would take away from her Disney time, so she opted for the bus when she was told she was behind pace.

What I really don't understand is why people care so much about whether other people collect a medal or not. Do your own thing, it's really none of our business what other people are doing. The Princess this year was my first half marathon in over 4 years due to auto-immune issues and I didn't race for over two and a half years. People have their own struggles to deal with. And for the record, I did finish the race and that medal has a lot of meaning for me, and other people taking a medal when they didn't finish has absolutely no bearing on how I feel about my race and my experience and my accomplishment.

Last edited by ghoulishgirl; 03-01-2013 at 09:33 PM.
ghoulishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #42
JCH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch_lover_Sith
I think at the end of the day what this debate comes down to is how you feel about a medal. I have personal experience, I did not have an official finish time for Hawaii 70.3 three years ago. They were nice enough to give me my medal and finisher shirt. I did finish and quite frankly I would be pissed if anyone had said I did not deserve the medal they gave me. People are getting out of bed at 3am and doing a Disney race. If they started then they deserve something to show for that.

What the question really is when you are in that situation will you take the medal or not. No one else has the right to decide for you or look down on your decision.
I'm sorry, they don't "deserve" anything. You got a shirt for showing up, the medal should be reserved for the finishers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoulishgirl
I have recently heard about some people who cheat at Disney races. People who jump in at Epcot and look fresh as a daisy, cross the line and collect a medal.

That is far worse to me than doing the best you can on that particular day and not being able to finish. The heat got the best of my mom at the Princess this year (who is almost 70). She made the choice for health and yeah, they gave her a medal. She tells everyone she wasn't able to finish and a trip to the hospital would take away from her Disney time, so she opted for the bus when she was told she was behind pace.

What I really don't understand is why people care so much about whether other people collect a medal or not. Do your own thing, it's really none of our business what other people are doing. The Princess this year was my first half marathon in over 4 years due to auto-immune issues and I didn't race for over two and a half years. People have their own struggles to deal with. And for the record, I did finish the race and that medal has a lot of meaning for me, and other people taking a medal when they didn't finish has absolutely no bearing on how I feel about my race and my experience and my accomplishment.
I hadn't heard that, but that's just sad.

And we care because the practice is starting to affect others, as many have posted before. It the only people were those who trained their butts off, but tripped and twisted their ankle, I don't think we'd care at all. But knowing you get a medal is attracting people who, quite frankly, are a danger to themselves and others on the course.

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012/3 ToT 10 Miler 2012/3 WDW Half 2013 Dumbo Double Dare 2013!
WDW 10k/Enchanted 10K 2014
JCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #43
Jubilee
<3 my kids

I'm guess I'm in the minority.....

If they get it and they didn't finish, they still tried. Doesn't bother me. It's a personal walk for me.. I wear it because it's my accomplishment, but if someone wears it and didn't complete, what do I care? They know they didn't, but they may be proud of what they did do. That's all that matters.

FTR, I also don't care about clothing labels or have the other nonsense appearance things most ppl do, so this is a big eyeroll subject to me and I feel like people can get very snarky over nothing. I also read the blogs of those people and I feel they are way more positive than most of the people getting an attitude about this. Let's practice what we preach, people. Disney is supposed to be about positivity and uplifting others/feeling good about ourselves, no?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #44
ghoulishgirl
I love Halloween and am afraid of butterflies

Quote:
And we care because the practice is starting to affect others, as many have posted before. It the only people were those who trained their butts off, but tripped and twisted their ankle, I don't think we'd care at all. But knowing you get a medal is attracting people who, quite frankly, are a danger to themselves and others on the course.
I certainly get that and I agree that some people shouldn't be out there. What I was talking about is people who say that non-finishers diminish other peoples' accomplishments. Which I think is absurd. Suddenly your medal means nothing because someone else didn't finish?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #45
Stitch_lover_Sith
So I want to weigh in on this discussion

[QUOTE="JCH"]

I'm sorry, they don't "deserve" anything. You got a shirt for showing up, the medal should be reserved for the finishers!/QUOTE]

Oh so I am to believe that should you ever be in a spot where you don't finish the race as an official finisher that you are not going to take the medal. You will just walk by and say no.

You seem to have a very strong opinion on what YOU think us right and wrong. Well guess what I don't agree and do not like to think of my self as undeserving for something that the RACE director gave me.

Now you have some points about possibly not doing the race if you don't train for it but quite frankly that is another topic all together.

These races are something that you have to plan out well over 6 months in advance. You pay good money to be there. I will never tell you that you do not deserve something because you did not finish. That is not the RunDisney way or quite frankly the WISH way.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: