Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
JenaRuns
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 49

What's your feeling about getting a medal without finishing Princess?

I'm not judging--just wondering how most of you feel about this. I know somebody who got swept at Mile 5 of the Princess Half. The race officials loaded those who were behind pace at that point onto a bus, drove them to the finish line, and gave them the medal. So really, it's more of a participant's medal and not a finisher's medal. Are you okay with this?
JenaRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran
 
joan4mickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,855

NO
__________________
Joan


2009
2010
2011
2012
2013
2014
joan4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
flatlandcycle
Mouseketeer
 
flatlandcycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaRuns View Post
I'm not judging--just wondering how most of you feel about this. I know somebody who got swept at Mile 5 of the Princess Half. The race officials loaded those who were behind pace at that point onto a bus, drove them to the finish line, and gave them the medal. So really, it's more of a participant's medal and not a finisher's medal. Are you okay with this?
Disney is expensive. Take the unearned bling and sell it on ebay. Come back again and finish.

I like the finisher medals, but part of me still thinks medals should be for winners of categories. I do races because they have cool finisher medals.
flatlandcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
MasonDuo
Mouseketeer
 
MasonDuo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: AKV, BLT and too far from WDW
Posts: 152

I can go either way with this.

For me personally, I know I finished and that medal is priceless to me as it serves as a reminder of an accomplishment. If others are satisfied with not finishing and get a medal it may represent something different or they may be happy with that.

On the other side (don't hate me for this) I get a little irritated because the RunDisney events seem to be attracting quite a few people who are no where near ready to complete the races. I personally don't care how you complete them run / walk / run-walk but those who aren't ready for it are getting in the way of others trying to go around them during the ratce as well as eating up spots for sold out races.

If Disney starts cracking down on non-finishers (no medal), people may be a little deterred from signing up if they aren't ready or in training to complete the race. I'm all for everyone trying but it seems like there are quite a few people not finishing and with each year/race the number is growing.
__________________
Me DH
WDW: 1992 Disney Village Resort, 1996 Offsite, 1997 CR, 1998 WL, 1999 CBR, 2000 Offsite, 2003 ASMo, 2005 Pop, 2007 POFQ, 2008 POFQ, 2009 ASMu, 5/2010 POFQ, 9/2010 POFQ, 12/2010 POFQ, 5/2011 POFQ, 8/2011 POFQ, 5/2012 OKW, 7/2012 SSR, 9/2012 BWV, 11/2012 AKV, 12/2012 AoA, 1/2013 WL, 4/2013 ASSp, 5/2013 BLT, 6/2013 VWL, 9/2013 AKV , 11/2013 Pop, 12/2013 BCV, 3/2014 AKV
DL: 2012 GCH, 12/2013 DLH, 1/2014 VGC, 7/2014 VGC
ABD: 2014 Backstage Magic
MasonDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
cimrk01
Mouseketeer
 
cimrk01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 92

I'm thinking of participating in the Walt Disney World Marathon next year and I am mentally preparing myself for the realm of potentially getting swept somewhere after the 20th mile. Having said that no, I wouldn't feel right accepting a medal honoring a completion of something I didn't earn.

I would rather get some type of separate certificate, discount, coupon, mini award (you get the idea) honoring and recognizing the training and effort it took to achieve completion of "X" many miles. Otherwise, as it is now your essentially just paying $150+ for your bling.
__________________
"We are different, in essence, from other men. If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon.” – Emil Zatopek

cimrk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
VickiHD
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,268

It's a FINISHERS Medal not a participants.

You get the shirt for participating, along with other stuff in your bag. But lets leave getting the medal for those who actually cross the finish line.
__________________
VickiHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
EMHDad
DIS Veteran
 
EMHDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 962

I am torn on this. I am running my first marathon next Jan. I WANT that medal. To me it is going to be a constant reminder of reaching a lifelong goal. However, I am always one that likes to give more grace than not. Giving a medal to someone who got swept at mile 20 doesnt hurt me in the slightest.

That said...

A while back someone posted 2 links to blogs of women who didnt finish who got me pretty angry. One particular, the woman had not run(sounds like mostly walking) more than 2-3 miles EVER. And then, it was maybe a handful of times. She traveled to Disney, started the marathon and then got swept up for not keeping the 16 min pace before MILE 2!! Even more surprising, she blogged about it and celebrated getting her medal. Again, to each their own, but gah! Lost the link to that blog, sorry. Maybe someoneelse knows.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fgur...ature=youtu.be
Our 2012 Disney Family Vacation Montage.

Check it out. Leave A Comment. Hope it helps you to have a Magical Day!

*7/2009 - Offsite 7 Day Disney Vacation: First Family Disney Vacation (DS3yo, DW 8 months pregnant)
*9/2010 - Offsite 3 Day Disney Vacation (DS4yo, DS1yo)
*10/2011 - MNSSHP: One night of Disney (DS5yo, DS2yo)
*6/2012 - Offsite 8 Day Disney Vacation (DS5yo, DS2yo)

EMHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
helloirishkitty
DIS Veteran
 
helloirishkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: WNY
Posts: 1,352

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
It's a FINISHERS Medal not a participants.

You get the shirt for participating, along with other stuff in your bag. But lets leave getting the medal for those who actually cross the finish line.
100x this! It took me F-O-R-E-V-E-R (3:24) but I finished, and I refuse to take the medal off. It stings that people who didn't finish get one too, but Disney is in the business of selling out races, and I'm sure there are people that sign up, walk a mile, get swept and get the bling.
__________________
Disney 02.12.11 *WP/LSS/UK* New RunDisney Addict! DVC Owner at BLT
helloirishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
JCH
DIS Veteran
 
JCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Palm Beach County, FL
Posts: 801

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMHDad View Post
I am torn on this. I am running my first marathon next Jan. I WANT that medal. To me it is going to be a constant reminder of reaching a lifelong goal. However, I am always one that likes to give more grace than not. Giving a medal to someone who got swept at mile 20 doesnt hurt me in the slightest.

That said...

A while back someone posted 2 links to blogs of women who didnt finish who got me pretty angry. One particular, the woman had not run(sounds like mostly walking) more than 2-3 miles EVER. And then, it was maybe a handful of times. She traveled to Disney, started the marathon and then got swept up for not keeping the 16 min pace before MILE 2!! Even more surprising, she blogged about it and celebrated getting her medal. Again, to each their own, but gah! Lost the link to that blog, sorry. Maybe someoneelse knows.
Is it this one? http://shrinkingkrista.blogspot.com/...f-my-life.html

FYI, she made it to Mile 10 this year before being swept.
__________________
Jenn

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012/3 ToT 10 Miler 2012/3 WDW Half 2013 Dumbo Double Dare 2013!
WDW 10k/Enchanted 10K 2014
JCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
DISNEYFOS
DIS Veteran
 
DISNEYFOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 960

The Princess 1/2 was my first Disney race... I had done a couple of 5Ks and wanted to see if I could do this..I took it really seriously. I trained really hard... really went thru the training plans and made sure I could make it 13.1 miles in the pace required.

Before I left for Disney I was running 13.1 in 2:18. With the crowds I ended up a whole 30 mins off that. I know I could of done better if I had room to move.

I am really amazed at the amount of people that seemed to do this race on a whim? that don't run regularly or run/walk or speed walk or whatever..

I don't think you should get a finisher medal for not finishing.. It kinda makes the whole thing into a farce..
__________________
(DD 10) (DD 6)
DISNEYFOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
JCH
DIS Veteran
 
JCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Palm Beach County, FL
Posts: 801

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonDuo View Post
I can go either way with this.

For me personally, I know I finished and that medal is priceless to me as it serves as a reminder of an accomplishment. If others are satisfied with not finishing and get a medal it may represent something different or they may be happy with that.

On the other side (don't hate me for this) I get a little irritated because the RunDisney events seem to be attracting quite a few people who are no where near ready to complete the races. I personally don't care how you complete them run / walk / run-walk but those who aren't ready for it are getting in the way of others trying to go around them during the ratce as well as eating up spots for sold out races.

If Disney starts cracking down on non-finishers (no medal), people may be a little deterred from signing up if they aren't ready or in training to complete the race. I'm all for everyone trying but it seems like there are quite a few people not finishing and with each year/race the number is growing.
I agree with this, and this has been my argument about the finisher medals before. It is to the point where it is almost dangerous seeing the people attempting half marathons who really shouldn't! They are simply untrained, and will brag about it in the corrals! They have 0 race etiquette, on account of never running a race before, and are self absorbed enough that they feel they can stroll along with no intention of finishing while people who have trained for months are forced around. You can easily pick them out, as there is a big difference between "race" walking and strolling.

With the heat and humidity of the last few races, there is just no place for untrained people out there. I think I saw it worst at Tower of Terror, with the puking and passing out and constant calls for medics.

Now, I'm not saying people shouldn't try, and if Disney gets them off the couch, great. But at the same time, there is an untimed 5k the weekend that has all the bells and whistles. If you aren't going to train, but still want to experience a Disney race and get a medal, do us all a favor and do the 5k. Leave the 10miler, half marathon, and marathon spots for those who actually train!

Okay..off soap box...
__________________
Jenn

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012/3 ToT 10 Miler 2012/3 WDW Half 2013 Dumbo Double Dare 2013!
WDW 10k/Enchanted 10K 2014
JCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
VickiHD
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,268

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH View Post
I agree with this, and this has been my argument about the finisher medals before. It is to the point where it is almost dangerous seeing the people attempting half marathons who really shouldn't! They are simply untrained, and will brag about it in the corrals! They have 0 race etiquette, on account of never running a race before, and are self absorbed enough that they feel they can stroll along with no intention of finishing while people who have trained for months are forced around. You can easily pick them out, as there is a big difference between "race" walking and strolling.

.
I agree !!!
In my corral at Tink 1/2, a group of ladies were bragging about how they had not trained and look forward to getting on the bus and still get their medial. This was before we even started the race. People around me also looked horrified at what they were saying.
__________________
VickiHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #13
EMHDad
DIS Veteran
 
EMHDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 962

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH View Post
Is it this one? http://shrinkingkrista.blogspot.com/...f-my-life.html
*Edited

FYI, she made it to Mile 10 this year before being swept.
Yes, that is the one I was referring to exactly. I see she tried for the half this time instead of the full. Its good to see the improvement there.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fgur...ature=youtu.be
Our 2012 Disney Family Vacation Montage.

Check it out. Leave A Comment. Hope it helps you to have a Magical Day!

*7/2009 - Offsite 7 Day Disney Vacation: First Family Disney Vacation (DS3yo, DW 8 months pregnant)
*9/2010 - Offsite 3 Day Disney Vacation (DS4yo, DS1yo)
*10/2011 - MNSSHP: One night of Disney (DS5yo, DS2yo)
*6/2012 - Offsite 8 Day Disney Vacation (DS5yo, DS2yo)


Last edited by EMHDad; 02-28-2013 at 02:05 PM.
EMHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #14
Diskidatheart
Mouseketeer
 
Diskidatheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 497

I know personally, if I trained really hard for a half or full marathon and for some reason (such as overheated, muscle pull, etc), I couldn't finish the race and I got a finishers medal, I certainly wouldn't be bragging about the medal or showing it off anywhere. It would just sit in a shoebox somewhere so that I wouldn't be reminded that I wasn't able to make it. It certainly wouldn't be hanging anywhere near the medals I earned by finishing a race.

I know Disney would never consider this, but maybe they should have an "unfinished" medal, which would be less formal than the FINISHERS medal. That way, there would be even more incentive to FINISH the race.
Diskidatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
mare1203
Mouseketeer
 
mare1203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Arizona
Posts: 398

I agree about medals for finishers only, but I like the idea of giving something for all finishers at the end (getting it in your bag is great, but people would ignore that, I feel, and still want the medal). As others have said, there is a 5k option, so perhaps Disney could do more to make this the option for the less trained. I noticed the medal for the 5k seemed to be rubber (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here!), and with the number of people obsessed with the medals maybe changing the 5k medals to a smaller version of the 1/2 marathon medals will help??

I was in one of the middle corrals for PHM and it took a good while to find a pace due to running around so many people who just stopped or did nothing to indicate the walking or even worse, walked in groups of 4-5 across thus taking over the whole road. It becomes almost unsafe for someone to start in D or E and then walk the whole thing just because they want pictures. If you know full well you're going to finish in over 3 hours, but putting yourself in corral with 2:35-2:50 finishers it just becomes a cluster... Overall, it was a good experience, but definitely frustrating at times since I did take the time to really train for the race.
mare1203 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.