Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #511
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post
Looks like we are missing a QOTD for today, so here is a substitute! (Inspired by the teacher room lunchtime conversation!)

Substitute QOTD Thursday, March 28, 2013:

What is the BEST zoo you have ever been to (other than DAK, of course )? What makes it great?
Hey there, good afternoon!!!

Update on my foot issues. I went to podiatrist today. She gave me a cortisone shot for the nerve running along my toe. In addition she is getting me custom orthotics, gak. I have to get healthy and this is a part of the journey.

Still hanging in there with weight. I had a 1/2lb loss this week. We will see if it holds thru till tomorrow.

I credit the loss to my PT and my exercising.

Stay strong everyone!!!

____

QOTD? Well hands down it has to be my local St. Louis Zoo. It is free admission and the location is in a place that you want walk, bike, etc. to other free places. I do love Forest Park in St. Louis.

The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:19 AM   #512
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Best zoo, Roger Williams in RI and Cape May County Zoo in NJ.

Not a stellar day, hell, it hasn't been a stellar week. I need someone to circle the wagon back around and then sit on me until we reach our final destination!
Managed to ward off the chocolate temptations at Trader Joes ( even my most favorite chocolate covered potato chips). In fact, the 8th will be a month of no chocolate, but now I am craving carbs like you would not believe!!! The worst part is I'll eat something thinking that's what I want but then it's not so I go on the hunt for something else. It's been like this all week!! I hate days like this and I hate feeling out of control.
I need a reboot. I can feel it in my body (might be why I feel like I got hit by a truck, the soreness is horrible). I feel like I need to detox somehow.
I may try to go carb free for a few days or a week and see if I can kick the feeling.
I'm also not sleeping well, hence the 2am posting. I'm sure it's all related.
We have a 5k in 2 days, trying to decide if I should do it. DD is doing the 1/2 mile, DS16 and DS11 are doing the 5K. DS12 wants to but he has to pick his pieces to show at the art show so he won't make the start time for the race.
I dunno, I hate self doubt!!

Ok I'm rambling now so I'm going to try to get some sleep.
Night all!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 05:22 AM   #513
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

Good Friday morning.

I did the taxes yesterday while dh was working at his dad's house. I still need one more paper from ds's college. He sent me a copy of it but it included his grad school stuff which we didn't pay for. I have to figure out how to get the paper for only his undergrad stuff since he is on a full scholarship for grad school

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Best zoo, Roger Williams in RI and Cape May County Zoo in NJ.

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards
We love the Cape May Zoo. It such a sweet place. We visit it at least once a year.

I am asking my friends for PD for my sister. Her house was destroyed in Sandy. She got some money from the insurance but the first quote she got may not cover everything that needs to be done. Even at that she will not have any money for furniture. She is living with my parents but she would really like to get back to her house (It is only 2 blocks from my parents). I only wish that I had won that big lottery last week so I could give her the money to fix up her house.

Off to get some things done. Almost done with break

What is everyone doing for Easter? I have to make home made bread and a chocolate cake for my dad's birthday which is Monday.

Have a happy and healthy day.

We love the Cape May Zoo. It is so sweet
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:35 AM   #514
Lindaland
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post
Looks like we are missing a QOTD for today, so here is a substitute! (Inspired by the teacher room lunchtime conversation!)

Substitute QOTD Thursday, March 28, 2013:

What is the BEST zoo you have ever been to (other than DAK, of course )? What makes it great?
Well since I have only been to 3 Zoos, with 2 of them in WA and one in Canada. I would have to say the Woodland Park Zoo is it! I don't really go to zoos that often and I don't travel much so I have a limited pool to choose from. But the WPZ is pretty nice.

Today (well yesterday evening for all of you) was pretty good. I got through my workout and have stuck to my diet pretty good considering the vat of chocolate treats at every nursing station I pass by!!! Nurses do love their chocolate!! But I will have plenty of time to eat chocolate in WDW after I drop a few lbs!! Excited that I joined the exercise challenge for April, already thinking about reaching that goal!!

Hope everyone has a great day today!! Back to workfor me.... but since its my friday.....

Take care all!

Lindaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #515
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Morning all! I'm at work without computer access (I've snuck into the Kindergarten wing to hop on for a few minutes ), so I won't be able to visit much today. Hope you are all well and that the scale is kind to you today. My weigh-in was a bit of a but I shouldn't be shocked after my splurge(s) last weekend (although I didn't think I did THAT MUCH damage ).

I'll have to really watch what I eat over the Easter weekend, as I have NO wiggle room left on the scale to stay within my official WW maintenance range.

I'm gong to take 2 minutes to read here and hopefully have a minute to pop on maybe at lunchtime??? Fingers crossed. TTYL.............P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #516
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone! And sorry that I disappeared yesterday. I had a horrible headache and was barely functioning yesterday. Today is a holiday here in Germany and I am at home, still trying to get rid of the last rest of the headache.

Pam, thank you very much for jumping in with the question of the day yesterday!!

My scale issues continue. The new one arrived, and I compared the two. Yesterday the new one did show a weight that was 1.5 pounds less than the old one. Today I am heavier on both scales, but the difference is only 1 pound. I am really not sure what to believe. I also am constantly gaining weight. All very frustrating.

Anyway - here is a qotd for today:

How difficult will it be for you to withstand all the Easter goodies that the holiday weekend will bring with it? Do you have a strategy?

Mine is to avoid temptation. I already got a small portion of my absolute favourite Easter candy. I will get it out on Easter Sunday and will eat it over the next few days without counting it. The whole portion has about 400 calories, so it won't be a huge damage and it is only available at Easter. So it's a treat that I decided to splurge on!! But that's all I will eat - no further candy!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #517
araes2102
Mouseketeer

Sorry I have not been posting lately... been very busy at work and at home. I have been reading along though! Hope to get a few minutes later this am to do some replying

We are almost through March and I am still recruiting coaches for April
Please PM me or simply sign up below if interested!

April 1-4 (or March 29-April 4)
April 5-11
April 12-18
April 19-25
April 26-30 (or April 26-May 2)

Go team!

Could one of the previous hosts please send me the spreadsheets so I can get April's thread up and running this weekend? TY!!

Also, I lost another 2 lbs this week! I surpassed my original goal and have lost 9 lbs so far!

araes2102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #518
50sjayne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by araes2102 View Post
Sorry I have not been posting lately... been very busy at work and at home. I have been reading along though! Hope to get a few minutes later this am to do some replying

We are almost through March and I am still recruiting coaches for April
Please PM me or simply sign up below if interested!

April 1-4 (or March 29-April 4) 50sjayne (Susan)
April 5-11
April 12-18
April 19-25
April 26-30 (or April 26-May 2)

Go team!

Could one of the previous hosts please send me the spreadsheets so I can get April's thread up and running this weekend? TY!!

Also, I lost another 2 lbs this week! I surpassed my original goal and have lost 9 lbs so far!
For the month or since January?
Old 03-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #519
50sjayne
DIS Veteran

Well I'm down 2 pounds this week. 145. 5 pounds till my tattoo April 16th!
Went and had a consultation yesterday and really like the place and the people. I told them I couldn't have it done yesterday because I needed to lose 4 pounds, (such was the case yesterday) and the guy said if I lost 4 more pounds he wouldn't do it lol. Made me feel pretty good.
So I ate the same things I ate yesterday, drank the same amount of booze, and did an extra 350 calories on the elliptical and was up a pound. It is before my period and I know my water weight is up from the scale but still-- it's so frustrating. I think I get into the thing when I exercise where I just get hungrier and snack more. I did have some wheat thins and cheese late night...
Old 03-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #520
araes2102
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sjayne

For the month or since January?
For the month, down 27 since January

Old 03-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #521
araes2102
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sjayne
Went and had a consultation yesterday and really like the place and the people. I told them I couldn't have it done yesterday because I needed to lose 4 pounds, (such was the case yesterday) and the guy said if I lost 4 more pounds he wouldn't do it lol. Made me feel pretty good.
So I ate the same things I ate yesterday, drank the same amount of booze, and did an extra 350 calories on the elliptical and was up a pound. It is before my period and I know my water weight is up from the scale but still-- it's so frustrating. I think I get into the thing when I exercise where I just get hungrier and snack more. I did have some wheat thins and cheese late night...
Sorry its frustrating, just hang in there... Not too long and you'll be there!

Old 03-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #522
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post

Anyway - here is a qotd for today:

How difficult will it be for you to withstand all the Easter goodies that the holiday weekend will bring with it? Do you have a strategy?
It'll be hard to stay away from my favorite chocolate goodies. I'll try to have something small, then focus on cleaning the house and cooking Easter dinner.

QOTD Thursday~I love zoos. We have had a membership to Pittsburgh Zoo in the past. We now have a family membership to the NC Aquariums and we use it here in PA and Ohio zoos since it reciprocates at either 1/2 off or free admissions. We also frequent the Cleveland Zoo, Akron Zoo, and Columbus Zoo. Columbus is by far the best zoo. But, I'm pretty loyal to Pittsburgh

Ugh. My computer just informed me that it is shutting down in 5 minutes for updates. I'll be back!

Jill
Old 03-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #523
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Okay, I am back and the computer is all updated lol. So, I hate to do this, but I am going to vent for a moment to explain my absence. I have had a terrible 3 days at work this week. I had such a horrible day in my high school boys room that I almost just quit. The staff that are in the room let the kids do whatever they want. Then I walk in and have to get order established and barely have time for teaching. Then, the 2 staff left me (I have no idea why) and I almost had 2 students fight. I was so stressed. Now, this probably sounds like your typical high school for behavior problems, buuuuuut, this is an ongoing problem and no one in authority is doing anything about it. To top it off, I told my boss's assistant, and he could care less. Another teacher was so upset with everything that is going on that he went to talk to our boss, and he got no where. My boss avoided me all 3 days and I am so discouraged. I have worked at this school for 12 years and have done everything ever asked of me plus so much more. I feel like I am getting no support from the higher ups.

My DH wants me to quit, but I have me and my DSs on my insurance and it's stressful to think about. I updated my resume and cover letter, but there won't be any teaching opening around here. We don't have county schools, they are all local districts. One school told me they had an opening for an elementary teacher a couple years ago and they got over 200 applicants. We live in an area where we have an abundance of college with teaching programs, too. We have been toying with relocating, but it's even more stressful.

So, I haven't been posting, but I've been reading along. I didn't go to the gym this week. I did manage to squeeze in a few workouts at home, but my eating has been terrible. In fact, I'm chalking March up to a complete loss. I'm hoping to get it together for April, though!

Thanks for letting me complain

Jill
Old 03-30-2013, 02:31 AM   #524
Lindaland
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hi everyone! And sorry that I disappeared yesterday. I had a horrible headache and was barely functioning yesterday. Today is a holiday here in Germany and I am at home, still trying to get rid of the last rest of the headache.

Hope your feeling better soon!!

My scale issues continue. The new one arrived, and I compared the two. Yesterday the new one did show a weight that was 1.5 pounds less than the old one. Today I am heavier on both scales, but the difference is only 1 pound. I am really not sure what to believe. I also am constantly gaining weight. All very frustrating.

That is frustrating. It really makes you discouraged when you keep trying and your body just says.."no... I am not ready to go forward!" Sometimes you just gotta have faith that you WILL prevail and your body will follow suit! Sending you lots of patience....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sjayne View Post

Total awesomeness!!

I am sensing a pattern here.... Seems a frustrating time of year for some of us!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post
Okay, I am back and the computer is all updated lol. So, I hate to do this, but I am going to vent for a moment to explain my absence. I have had a terrible 3 days at work this week. I had such a horrible day in my high school boys room that I almost just quit. The staff that are in the room let the kids do whatever they want. Then I walk in and have to get order established and barely have time for teaching. Then, the 2 staff left me (I have no idea why) and I almost had 2 students fight. I was so stressed. Now, this probably sounds like your typical high school for behavior problems, buuuuuut, this is an ongoing problem and no one in authority is doing anything about it. To top it off, I told my boss's assistant, and he could care less. Another teacher was so upset with everything that is going on that he went to talk to our boss, and he got no where. My boss avoided me all 3 days and I am so discouraged. I have worked at this school for 12 years and have done everything ever asked of me plus so much more. I feel like I am getting no support from the higher ups.

My DH wants me to quit, but I have me and my DSs on my insurance and it's stressful to think about. I updated my resume and cover letter, but there won't be any teaching opening around here. We don't have county schools, they are all local districts. One school told me they had an opening for an elementary teacher a couple years ago and they got over 200 applicants. We live in an area where we have an abundance of college with teaching programs, too. We have been toying with relocating, but it's even more stressful.

So, I haven't been posting, but I've been reading along. I didn't go to the gym this week. I did manage to squeeze in a few workouts at home, but my eating has been terrible. In fact, I'm chalking March up to a complete loss. I'm hoping to get it together for April, though!

Thanks for letting me complain

Jill
You are an amazing person with one of the worlds hardest and most thankless jobs ever! I would be happy to spend my day covered in isolation gowns splattered with (shall we say... bodily secretions) rather than spend an hour teaching high school kids!!

Good luck and take lots of deep breaths!! You will make the right decision for you and your family. Everything works out the way it should, sometimes we just need to vent to get a new perspective.

Quote:

Mine is to avoid temptation. I already got a small portion of my absolute favourite Easter candy. I will get it out on Easter Sunday and will eat it over the next few days without counting it. The whole portion has about 400 calories, so it won't be a huge damage and it is only available at Easter. So it's a treat that I decided to splurge on!! But that's all I will eat - no further candy!
Great plan!! And it makes the holiday last longer!!

As for me, my plan for getting through the holiday is that I moved it to my Friday! I got a small box of Robins eggs & some Lindt chocolate for DD (her fav) that I can enjoy tonight and then get back into action tomorrow! This is of course much easier now that my DD is older. Also I am working this weekend so I just have to dodge the candy dishes at work!

Best of luck to everyone out there, and have a great weekend!!

Lindaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:40 AM   #525
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

Good Saturday morning everyone.

I will have a busy weekend. I need to make some homemade bread and a chocolate cake. I have opened just about every cookbook I own to find a recipe for chocolate cake. I will decide later which one to make. It will either have sour cream in it or buttermilk. I think it will be the one with buttermilk so I can use up the container I used last week.

I have been struggling this week with a stuffed nose and sinus problems. At least it cleared out of my ear so that doesn't hurt anymore.

I hope everyone has a happy and healthy Easter
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: