facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #481
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Things are quiet here today!

Did my workout (half strength, half cardio), finishing up folding 2 loads of wash with another ready to fold soon, beds are made. Lunch is soon (I'm hungry!), pick up the kids at 3pm, home to feed them and then out the door at 5:45 for the drive to swim practice. I'll be doing some shopping (Easter and grocery) while she swims, since I already did my workout.... but may leave my sneakers handy in case I have time to walk a lap or two.

BB in a bit to chatter if anyone is around.............P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #482
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post
I PRESUME you mean 14 Points for a full uncooked cup??? I'm proud of you for tackling a cooking challenge! I HATE cooking, I'm terrible at it.... I have no natural knack for it.... but I am forced to do it EVERY DAY! So I feel your pain. Try making the steel cut oats in a slowcooker overnight. It works great!

Yep, 14 points according to the old points tracker!

Morning all and a VERY HAPPY TUESDAY to everyone here! Sun is shining, but it is a cold day in the 30's and snow was flying around a bit earlier. Winter needs to say BYE-BYE!!

We're having a cold spell down here too. It's actually supposed to get down into the 40's tonight!

Any EASTER BASKET ideas? I'm just tapped out after 17 years of filling baskets! Usually there are a few practical things like toothpaste, hair elastics... plus one book or DVD, maybe some cash and a bit of candy (less candy of higher quality now that they are older)... plus something fun or silly (like a small stuffed animal or a cute flash drive)... but I just cannot think of anything to put in the baskets this year. I hate spending $$ on DVDs because unless it is a CLASSIC, we can always get it from Redbox. No need to OWN movies any more. No one has any books on their request list. Candy is bought already. School supplies are dull.

What about gift cards? Either in hand or online? My nieces and nephews love them!

Here is also ANOTHER reminder to VOTE FOR LAURA!! THanks............P
Oops! Missed a couple of days, but right on it today!

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #483
pjlla
<><

Just an FYI that the totals on page ONE are updated!! If you haven't sent in Friday's weight and still want to, I'd be happy to adjust your numbers! If your name is NOT bolded (either black or colored) that means I don't have any numbers for you. Please let me know if I've made any mistakes!.........P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #484
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post
Oops! Missed a couple of days, but right on it today!
Thanks for doing it! I really appreciate it!

BTW, don't forget, a serving of UNCOOKED steel cut oats is only about a 1/4 C.... not a full cup. I usually make it in my mini crockpot with 1 C of steel cut oats and 4 C of water (overnight) and I end up with either 3 really BIG servings (depending on how hungry we are) or 4 smaller servings (the usual). And it is plenty.... especially with a bit of fruit.

I'll give the gift card idea some thought. THanks for the idea..................P

Old 03-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #485
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Kittens are adorable!!! The grey is my fave!!

Pics will come soon, taking pics of yourself is sooo blech! It was weird and so unnatural.

Easter basket ideas - iTunes cards, amazon cards, Chocolate bunny, candy, lip gloss, hair bands, lotion

Got an appt with my MD for Monday. He'll probably send me to ortho though. But even though I haven't run in a few days it still hurts to do stairs.

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards
Old 03-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #486
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Unhappy

Quote:
Thanks for doing it! I really appreciate it!

BTW, don't forget, a serving of UNCOOKED steel cut oats is only about a 1/4 C.... not a full cup. I usually make it in my mini crockpot with 1 C of steel cut oats and 4 C of water (overnight) and I end up with either 3 really BIG servings (depending on how hungry we are) or 4 smaller servings (the usual). And it is plenty.... especially with a bit of fruit.

I'll give the gift card idea some thought. Thanks for the idea..................P
I get SO confused with this stuff! I wish labels would specify cooked or uncooked. WW doesn't, it just came up 14 points for one cup! I've been eating 1/4 cup and it hardly seems like anything and I'm still hungry after, so I've just been eating extra apple and a hard-boiled egg white.

I love getting gift cards. It makes the inevitable "what do you want for Christmas" go a whole lot easier!

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #487
pjlla
<><

Quote:
I get SO confused with this stuff! I wish labels would specify cooked or uncooked. WW doesn't, it just came up 14 points for one cup! I've been eating 1/4 cup and it hardly seems like anything and I'm still hungry after, so I've just been eating extra apple and a hard-boiled egg white.

I love getting gift cards. It makes the inevitable "what do you want for Christmas" go a whole lot easier!

As far as the oatmeal goes, here is the breakdown on the two brands I currently have in the house.......

Bob's Red Mill Organic steel cut oats

Serving size: 1/4 C dry (44 g)

Calories: 170

Total Fat: 3g

Total Carbs: 29g

Dietary Fiber: 5g

Country Choice organic Irish style steel cut oats

Serving Size: 1/4 C dry (40g)

Calories: 150 c

Total Fat: 3g

Total Carbs: 27g

Dietary Fiber: 4g

Either way it is a 1/4 DRY.... which could potentially yield a full cup after cooking. I sometimes add apple and raisins or pumpkin to my oatmeal to fill it up a bit more.

I don't have current PointsPlus info in front of me, but my old "Points" system week 1 book lists 1 cup of oatmeal as 2 Points... but it doesn't specify the TYPE of oatmeal. Steel cut has more fiber and is definitely more dense than quick cooking or instant oatmeal. Any brand of instant oatmeal I have EVER bought (most contain sugar) has AT LEAST 3 Points per serving and sometimes 4 Points! HTH.........P

Old 03-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #488
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

I just realised that I never answered my own QOTDs... So I better get that done!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
QOTD:
What are the warning signs for you that you are maybe starting to lose your way on this lifelong journey? Is is eating more? Not journaling your food? Skipping workouts? Avoiding the scale? And the more important part of this.... HOW DO YOU GET BACK ON TRACK?
My first warning sign is when I stop tracking my food. I will still be ok for a few days as I do have certain "standard meals" which I know that if I just keep to these, I will stay within my calory range. But then things start to creep in there... And the longer I am not tracking, the worse things get...

I always had problems to get back on track. And I found these threads here a huge help with that. If I read about other people's efforts and success it motivates me to work more for myself!

Quote:
QOTD:

Do you have an exercise routine or do you just do whatever you fancy whenever you have time?
I always try to develop a routine, but do have trouble sticking to it over a long time. So it might work for a few weeks and then there are plenty of reasons to miss a workout here and there and suddenly two weeks go by without... But generally I think I am a combination of both: have a general schedule, but be flexible to change it when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
QOTD? Exercise

Right now I have a minimal routine that I am following from my PT. It is a work in progress.

I would say PT is a routine - it is just what your body needs right now!

I am staying on track with maintenance, which is good, but I am going to try and push a bit for a at least a 1lb loss, despite my medical issues.

Hope you will be successful!!

I am calling my PCP today to see if I can get some blood work done. My PT thinks I have anemia. We will see.

Have a great DAY!!!!
Hope your tests go well!

Quote:
Depends on the day. I found I do better when I stick to my schedule: is it running day, yoga, day, elliptical time, walking time, etc. My favorite though, when nothing else is planned, is to just take the Wonder Mutt and run her around for awhile until she gets "broke tongue". You know, hanging out the side of her mouth about 10 times bigger than normal, panting her little heart out, and smiling about as much as she can.
Sounds like a fantastic form of exercise for both of you!!

Quote:
Pretty much the second thing. Sometimes I plan on cardio, but I'm just not in the mood so I do strength... and sometimes the other way around. Sometimes I head out for a walk but end up running. I've GOT TO GO WITH what I feel like or else I just give up!

Considering how little you enjoy exercise, I am impressed on how diligent you are in doing it!

Morning all and a VERY HAPPY TUESDAY to everyone here! Sun is shining, but it is a cold day in the 30's and snow was flying around a bit earlier. Winter needs to say BYE-BYE!!

Skipped Bible Study today as they were doing a "March Thaw" day with crafts and such (a departure from our regular classes) and it wasn't interesting enough for me to drive the 40 minutes each way to attend. I'm sure it will be a fun day and I would have had a great time (lots of nice ladies), but I have enough to keep me busy here!

Vertigo is still an issue today. I'm going to take a decongestant this morning to see if that helps.

Any EASTER BASKET ideas? I'm just tapped out after 17 years of filling baskets! Usually there are a few practical things like toothpaste, hair elastics... plus one book or DVD, maybe some cash and a bit of candy (less candy of higher quality now that they are older)... plus something fun or silly (like a small stuffed animal or a cute flash drive)... but I just cannot think of anything to put in the baskets this year. I hate spending $$ on DVDs because unless it is a CLASSIC, we can always get it from Redbox. No need to OWN movies any more. No one has any books on their request list. Candy is bought already. School supplies are dull.

Well.... breakfast is eaten, dishwasher is emptied.... time to make the beds and hit the TM (after taking some decongestant to help with the dizziness!).

BBL to chat some more. Planning to update page one at lunchtime, so here is your LAST reminder to send in your weight from Friday!

Here is also ANOTHER reminder to VOTE FOR LAURA!! THanks............P
Hope you got rid of the vertigo - sounds very unpleasant and certainly not good for exercising!!

Thanks for updating the weight page!!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #489
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Things are quiet here today!

The thread has been very quiet over the last few days - I hope it isn't due to my coaching!!!

Did my workout (half strength, half cardio), finishing up folding 2 loads of wash with another ready to fold soon, beds are made. Lunch is soon (I'm hungry!), pick up the kids at 3pm, home to feed them and then out the door at 5:45 for the drive to swim practice. I'll be doing some shopping (Easter and grocery) while she swims, since I already did my workout.... but may leave my sneakers handy in case I have time to walk a lap or two.

BB in a bit to chatter if anyone is around.............P
Hope your shopping went successfully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Kittens are adorable!!! The grey is my fave!!

Pics will come soon, taking pics of yourself is sooo blech! It was weird and so unnatural.

I agree! But then having these before and after pictures to look at gives you a great kick in motivation!!

Easter basket ideas - iTunes cards, amazon cards, Chocolate bunny, candy, lip gloss, hair bands, lotion

Got an appt with my MD for Monday. He'll probably send me to ortho though. But even though I haven't run in a few days it still hurts to do stairs.

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards
Hope you will feel better soon!

Quote:

Here in Germany all labels are uncooked and I hate it when I can only find the nutrition for something cooked. How am I going to know how much to cook of something if I have no idea of its nutritional value. For example I always weigh my pasta on my kitchen scale before cooking it (and I have reduced portion size tremendously: used to eat a 125g portion easily, am now down to a regular portion of 65g, if I did not have much to eat that day yet, I might even go for a larger portion - up to 80g and then I feel like I had soo much too eat...)

-------------

Hope you all had a great Tuesday! I finally decided to take a rest day from my Ripped in 30 program. Meant to do that on Sunday, but then was much to motivated to get it started. So decided to splurge today and get my rest day in as I was sore all over for the whole day.

But I did have a non scale victory today: My belt jumped into its last hole today when I was closing it without me having to tuck and I could wear it like that comfortably!!!

Unfortunately my new scale from Amazon appears to not want to come to me. The order is still in the status of "will be despatched soon". And has been for a few days now. I don't really know how they measure soon... Hope I can get it before Easter! Am a bit scared that the new scale will show a higher weight than my current one, but I guess then I just need to accept that and readjust my start weight to a higher weight as well!!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007

Old 03-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #490
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Oh - and one question for advice: How do you determine your goal weight? Looking at the BMI there is quite a scale of weights which are considered healthy, so which weight in that scale do you pick as the one?

I am still away from that - and I know that I want to get below 70kg (154 pounds) finally as it is such a magical number. But that only gets me to a BMI of 24.2 - So right at the top. I find it difficult to figure out where my goal ought to be. You have seen pictures of me, I do have a rather boxy shape with small hips, but a wide rib cage.

I really would like to be able to pick a realistic goal and reach that instead of one day just decide to give up on losing weight.

So any tips would be appreciated!!

Last edited by Flossbolna; 03-26-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #491
pix13dust
DIS Veteran

Quote:
QOTD:

Do you have an exercise routine or do you just do whatever you fancy whenever you have time?
I have a strict exercise routine. I walk 60 minutes a day Mon- Fri. I do yoga Weds and Saturday. I do a Pinterst workout Tues and Sun. I'm absolutely terrified to deviate from my routine but I always think miss one day, then two, then three.... So I just don't miss day!

Healthy food news:
Raw chocolate tofu pie - delish!
Homemade hummus- super yummy
Homemade cashew milk - good in my morning tea, I couldn't seem to strain it fully to drink it plain.

Made the kids " chili cheese dogs " last night. Tofu dogs, Amy's ( fake ) chili , a sprinkling of cheese on a whole wheat bun. They never knew it was meatless! Victory

Melinda

Floss- I'm no help, I'd love a 24 BMI! I thought you looked great!
pix13dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:25 AM   #492
Lindaland
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I sometimes think that the mud is part of the fun of hiking - if it isn't so much that you get wet feet. Whenever do you get to play in the mud anymore as an adult?

So true!!

I would love to experience Epcot during Christmas time - mainly because of the storytellers, it sounds like a wonderful experience!
There is nothing more magical than Christmas in WDW!!! All the decorations throughout the parks and resorts and AMAZING!! And all the countries in Epcot are the best!! I highly recommend to anyone going at that time of year.

Quote:
Depends on the day. I found I do better when I stick to my schedule: is it running day, yoga, day, elliptical time, walking time, etc. My favorite though, when nothing else is planned, is to just take the Wonder Mutt and run her around for awhile until she gets "broke tongue". You know, hanging out the side of her mouth about 10 times bigger than normal, panting her little heart out, and smiling about as much as she can.
I love that look!!! Puck has one ear up and one down so he looks even more goofy & adorable!!

Quote:
I would have to agree about the gift cards, Amazon is always a fav since there is so much stuff for everyone! Another idea is giving movie theater gift certificates. Then they can go with one of their friends!

Quote:
I did have a non scale victory today: My belt jumped into its last hole today when I was closing it without me having to tuck and I could wear it like that comfortably!!!
YAY!!! I love finding those unexpected non scale victories!!

Quote:
How do you determine your goal weight? Looking at the BMI there is quite a scale of weights which are considered healthy, so which weight in that scale do you pick as the one?

I really would like to be able to pick a realistic goal and reach that instead of one day just decide to give up on losing weight.

So any tips would be appreciated!!
I always say I want to get down to my drivers license weight!!
But seriously, I feel that once you reach your "goal weight"(however you pick one)..... stop looking!!! There are so many tables and charts to look at and they seem to constantly be changing!! I would go by how you feel about yourself. I try to make healthy choices with what I eat and then get in exercise frequently. My goal is to be healthy and fit, no matter what number that is.

When I first had a excessive weight loss (100lbs) I was a mess!! I was so freaked out about eating carbs and then got neurotic about my workouts, sometimes spending 2 hours a day, then hating myself if I was tired! It led to some pretty stupid life choices, just trying to reach a number!! Finally it got to where I would get so hypoglycemic that I be on the floor, nearly unconscious, while my DD was trying to feed me some sort of fruit/juice. And I would still resist having the carbs!! After a couple of those (no I did not learn after the first time! lol) I got seriously depressed and eventually ended up gaining most of my weight back.

Thats why now I just focus on being healthy and making good choices. I am much happier now and I dont look at it like a "diet" that I will one day stop. I have made a lifestyle change that I can still see myself doing when I finally do reach my "goal weight" Its like they say..... Don't worry, be happy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix13dust View Post
I have a strict exercise routine. I walk 60 minutes a day Mon- Fri. I do yoga Weds and Saturday. I do a Pinterst workout Tues and Sun. I'm absolutely terrified to deviate from my routine but I always think miss one day, then two, then three.... So I just don't miss day!

That is true! When I was working out daily and never missed a day, once that stopped, it was so incredibly hard to get back into any kind of routine, which I still struggle with today. I am better at it, but O.M.G. was it hard!

Healthy food news:
Homemade cashew milk - good in my morning tea, I couldn't seem to strain it fully to drink it plain.
Sounds soooooo yummy!! Glad it turned out!

Quote:
QOTD:

I would have to say both! lol When I am working, i do a modified bike & floor work combo before work. On my week off, I love to get out for hikes, or take Puck out for some practice/training. Although sometimes I do my bike & floor work, just a little longer. It really just depends on what week it is. As long as its movement, I am happy!

==========================================

As for today, I am home again tonight. Woke up this afternoon and could not get rid of the pain, so I had to take my actual pain meds. Although I was going to be charge nurse tonight and not work with patients, they still make me tired and irritable. No one wants to work for a grumpy boss!! But thats why I have sick time!! Tomorrow will be better, I am just sure of it!!!

However, the medication could have something to do with my ramblings tonight, lol Hope you all have a great day!!

Lindaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:35 AM   #493
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix13dust View Post

Wow, I am impressed!! I am also amazed as to what people use pinterest. Never thought one could use it for a workout!!

Healthy food news:

Made the kids " chili cheese dogs " last night. Tofu dogs, Amy's ( fake ) chili , a sprinkling of cheese on a whole wheat bun. They never knew it was meatless! Victory

I love homemade hummus - which also means that I tend to eat too much of it... But well done for tricking the kids into meatless hotdogs!!

Melinda

Floss- I'm no help, I'd love a 24 BMI! I thought you looked great!
Thanks! And I am still not at the 24 BMI, still hovering slightly above 25... And for a long time I would have thought the same, but now I am thinking there needs to be some magic number somewhere. And I certainly have no interest in getting down to a size 0 shape!

Old 03-27-2013, 02:46 AM   #494
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Good morning everyone!

I read an interesting article this weekend which has inspired today's question of the day. It was about a study they did with regard to fats - as in the fat you eat with your food.

Supposedly there has been studies that if you feed rats with fat free yoghurt they actually gain weigh because it does not trigger them enough to be full. This study now gave humans (makes more sense to me...) a fixed amount of fat free yoghurt, but they also had to mix some fat into the yoghurt before they had to eat it. From what I understand these were people with a healthy weight to begin with.

It turns out that the people who had to mix in olive oil as well as the people who had to mix in lard did not gain any weight while the people who used other sources of fat (canola oil or milk fat) did gain weight. Actually, the people who used olive oil had the best results.

The explanation to this appears to be the taste. Animal fat and olive oil both contain high level of certain substances which make the food taste better. This causes the body to produce a hormone called serotonin which makes you happy. Chocolate also causes the production of this hormone.

I found this fascinating as I actually use a lot of olive oil(relatively speaking) - and do happily sacrifice the calories for it, because I always felt that it was good for me. And this leads me to my QOTD:

Do you specifically watch how much fat you have in your diet and where it comes from?

Old 03-27-2013, 04:35 AM   #495
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

Good Wed morning everyone.

This has been a crazy month. We finished Grease on the 17th and then a friend's husband died so I had to deal with a wake and a funeral all on the last week of school before spring break. ALl I wanted was warm weather during spring break but all I have gotten is cold and cloudy weather with some snow on Monday. I so busy this past weekend that I could only count Monday as my first day of vacation.

I have been busy sewing and quilting on my break. Today dh is going on the computer to put in for his retirement and later this week I need to do the taxes.

Monday I had a great victory. I made chili with all soy protein and no one questioned it. My ds was asking about calorie count and when I told him it was all veggie he couldn't believe it.

Do you specifically watch how much fat you have in your diet and where it comes from?

I have been making sure that I have some fat in my diet. I had read something similar a couple of months ago about fat free yogurt. I found it very interesting.

Off to get things done.

Have a happy and healthy day.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: