Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 04:43 AM   #1
WishingMom
DIS Veteran
 
WishingMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,136

Tell me everything i need to know for the Princess Half Marathon

I've decided to push my WDW vacation back from this fall to next February so I can run the Princess Half. What do I need to know about that weekend? Are there specific hotels that you have to stay in? How do the different events work? Do people do both the half and the family events? This is all very new to me and I have to admit I have not done much in the way of research. I don't have my email added to Run Disney for notifications when the 2014 registration begins! Any other info would be a great help!

Thanks so much in advance!
__________________
1997 - 1st WDW trip, 2003 - WDW,
2009 - CBR,a nd 1st DCL cruise (our wedding cruise)
2011 - Pop Century, First MNSSHP
2013 - Pop Century, MNSSHP

Planning my "I'm 43 and just graduated from University" trip, August 2015

Me DH DD15 DD4
WishingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran
 
joan4mickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,855

First find a training program and start NOW. Life will get in the way and you can always do the program twice or 3 or 4 times to be ready. Next run a timed 10k event or longer and get a verified time so that you can get corral placement.

Most hotel are host hotel. You can do all the events or just the half. Soon there will be an "official" thread and just lurk and ask specific questions.
__________________
Joan


2009
2010
2011
2012
2013
2014
joan4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Southerngirl71
Mouseketeer
 
Southerngirl71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Metairie, LA
Posts: 123

I trained all year for this past race. The one thing I wish I had done differently was train outside (I live in Louisiana) to prepare myself for the heat and humidity. I trained on an indoor track at my gym. I also did not properly fuel. My friend that ran with me ate a power bar through the race and was fine. I did one gu shot but just did not feel like I needed anything else. Immediately after the race I ate a banana and thought that was enough but I started to black out waiting for the bus after the race. I have never experienced anything like that before. I was not dizzy at all but my vision kept getting darker and darker. I ate a luna bar and immediately felt better.
__________________
Lori
Southerngirl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
helloirishkitty
DIS Veteran
 
helloirishkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: WNY
Posts: 1,352

I agree with the above posters that say START TRAINING NOW! I started running in April of last year for the Tower of Terror 10 Miler with this years Princess Half being the end goal. I finished, but it took a LONG TIME because of the humidity and heat (I'm from Buffalo, I've been running in sub 32 degree temperatures for months). I also agree with PP and run a 10k or longer before the race so you can get a proof of time. I ran a 10 miler on February 9 and brought the proof of time to the race so I could move up, it worked well.

All of the hotesl were host hotels this year for the Princess. I stayed at POP and it was perfectly fine, the runDisney buses ran well and I never waited long for one (except at the end of the race, when I wanted the bus the most!).
__________________
Disney 02.12.11 *WP/LSS/UK* New RunDisney Addict! DVC Owner at BLT
helloirishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
flatlandcycle
Mouseketeer
 
flatlandcycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 307

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloirishkitty View Post
All of the hotesl were host hotels this year for the Princess. I stayed at POP and it was perfectly fine, the runDisney buses ran well and I never waited long for one (except at the end of the race, when I wanted the bus the most!).
The POP is a good choice for price and safety in numbers. Plan your vacation for after the run is over. If you have a week, spend days in the parks after the race. Room prices are increased just for this weekend.

Read the 2013 race reports.
flatlandcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
WishingMom
DIS Veteran
 
WishingMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,136

Thanks folks. I will certainly be keeping an eye for the "official 2014" thread. I have been running since September last year, did my first 5K back in December (I'm in Eastern Canada, it was cold) I will definitely be getting longer races in throughout this year, doing a 10K in July and hopefully more. I like POP and would prefer to stay there since the family will be with me. Thanks for the tip about extending the vacation after the race... My only obstacle would be winter storms in February, so it would be likely that I would have to travel a few days beforehand.

Cheers!
__________________
1997 - 1st WDW trip, 2003 - WDW,
2009 - CBR,a nd 1st DCL cruise (our wedding cruise)
2011 - Pop Century, First MNSSHP
2013 - Pop Century, MNSSHP

Planning my "I'm 43 and just graduated from University" trip, August 2015

Me DH DD15 DD4
WishingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
tmanaster
Mouseketeer
 
tmanaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 419

We loved it!

My daughter and I ran this and had an awesome time!

Following these boards helped me prepare a lot. Also, find a training program and stick with it.

Have fun!

I just wrote a race report at www.roadtriptheworld.com. Hopefully this helps.
__________________
Tricia 36 DH 35
Mom to 4 awesome kids
15 13 9 9
Visit us at www.roadtriptheworld.com

Many DW visits as a child First Family Trip POR 2005 AS Movies 2006
ASMu/Fort Wilderness Cabins 2008 Pop Century 2010
Disney Princess Half Marathon~ Mom and Daughter trip! POR February 2011
Disney Princess Half Marathon Mom and Daughter trip! All Star Sports 2013
tmanaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
LoveMyMoos
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 155

1. Train. Train and Train and TRAIN! Start now, you have plenty of time to ease in and then get down to business towards the end of this year. I started in July of last year, as a complete non-runner, someone who exercised once a week. I did great.
2. Don't let how complicated it all seems scare you. Stick to these boards, Disney maps things out so well, you'll be fine. I was very intimidated by the process but it all ran very smoothly when I arrived.
3. Give yourself lots of time down there. Time for the Expo(it can get very busy), time to get to the race, etc.

Yes, some ladies do it all. The 5k and the half, or the kids races and the half. This year I just did the half, no other events. Next year it will be a family trip and we'll do more of the family races with our kids. The 5k is early Saturday morning and the kids races are after that.
The Expo itself runs Friday and Saturday. This is where you bring in your signed waivers(which you get a few weeks before the race), where you pick up your bib and race goodies(t-shirt and stuff). There are also lots of vendors so you can do shopping. I recommend going very early if you can, it gets busy fast, and there are commemorative items that Disney sells(like shirts that say "I Did It!" with the race info) that sell out pretty quickly. I went when they opened on the first day, didn't fight lines and got the items I wanted, like the t-shirt.
Prepare for all kinds of weather. I've heard in the past it's been chilly and/or rainy. This year was very much not. It was very warm(70 degrees when we left at 3am) and extremely humid, humidity in the mid to upper 90s. It was rough on a lot of people, esp people coming from the cold north. Make sure you know how to fuel your body and properly hydrate. Training now helps with more than just getting ready to run, it helps you practice how to treat your body in different conditions, since you'll run in the spring, the heat of summer, the temps in fall and winter. Longer training runs will also help you tinker with the right ways to fuel your body. Everyone is different when it comes to that.
Disney has add ons all weekend, from breakfast after the 5k, a pasta party the evening before the race, race retreat(a special tent you pay to get in to before and after the race with extra amenities), ChEar packages if you have family coming to watch.
Lastly, my biggest piece of advice, besides training, is to relax and have fun! This year was my first year. I can't tell you how much I stressed in the months leading up to it. The idea of getting swept and not finishing, the idea of not being ready, just the weekend in general, because it was unknown to me. Turns out I had nothing to worry about and I probably just annoyed my travel buddy with my constant stream of questions and fretting lol. I trained plenty and was physically ready for the race. There was little pressure, Disney puts on a great race, I had a lot of fun, and it's so fulfilling.
__________________
May 2007 AS Sports May 2008 Coronado Springs
May 2009 Off Site Aug 2009 POR
Feb 2012 Caribbean Beach Feb 2013 POP/Coronado Springs Princess 1/2 Marathon
Nov 2013 POFQ Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon Jan 2014 Paradise Pier DL Tink 1/2 Marathon Feb 2014 Contemporary Glass Slipper Challenge
Feb 2015 POR Princess 1/2 Marathon
LoveMyMoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
WishingMom
DIS Veteran
 
WishingMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,136

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyMoos
1. Train. Train and Train and TRAIN! Start now, you have plenty of time to ease in and then get down to business towards the end of this year. I started in July of last year, as a complete non-runner, someone who exercised once a week. I did great.
2. Don't let how complicated it all seems scare you. Stick to these boards, Disney maps things out so well, you'll be fine. I was very intimidated by the process but it all ran very smoothly when I arrived.
3. Give yourself lots of time down there. Time for the Expo(it can get very busy), time to get to the race, etc.

Yes, some ladies do it all. The 5k and the half, or the kids races and the half. This year I just did the half, no other events. Next year it will be a family trip and we'll do more of the family races with our kids. The 5k is early Saturday morning and the kids races are after that.
The Expo itself runs Friday and Saturday. This is where you bring in your signed waivers(which you get a few weeks before the race), where you pick up your bib and race goodies(t-shirt and stuff). There are also lots of vendors so you can do shopping. I recommend going very early if you can, it gets busy fast, and there are commemorative items that Disney sells(like shirts that say "I Did It!" with the race info) that sell out pretty quickly. I went when they opened on the first day, didn't fight lines and got the items I wanted, like the t-shirt.
Prepare for all kinds of weather. I've heard in the past it's been chilly and/or rainy. This year was very much not. It was very warm(70 degrees when we left at 3am) and extremely humid, humidity in the mid to upper 90s. It was rough on a lot of people, esp people coming from the cold north. Make sure you know how to fuel your body and properly hydrate. Training now helps with more than just getting ready to run, it helps you practice how to treat your body in different conditions, since you'll run in the spring, the heat of summer, the temps in fall and winter. Longer training runs will also help you tinker with the right ways to fuel your body. Everyone is different when it comes to that.
Disney has add ons all weekend, from breakfast after the 5k, a pasta party the evening before the race, race retreat(a special tent you pay to get in to before and after the race with extra amenities), ChEar packages if you have family coming to watch.
Lastly, my biggest piece of advice, besides training, is to relax and have fun! This year was my first year. I can't tell you how much I stressed in the months leading up to it. The idea of getting swept and not finishing, the idea of not being ready, just the weekend in general, because it was unknown to me. Turns out I had nothing to worry about and I probably just annoyed my travel buddy with my constant stream of questions and fretting lol. I trained plenty and was physically ready for the race. There was little pressure, Disney puts on a great race, I had a lot of fun, and it's so fulfilling.
Thank you so much for your excellent advice! This is exactly the kind of info I've been looking for! Very excited to challenge myself for this race!

Cheers! And keep the rips coming!
__________________
1997 - 1st WDW trip, 2003 - WDW,
2009 - CBR,a nd 1st DCL cruise (our wedding cruise)
2011 - Pop Century, First MNSSHP
2013 - Pop Century, MNSSHP

Planning my "I'm 43 and just graduated from University" trip, August 2015

Me DH DD15 DD4
WishingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
TXAng
Mouseketeer
 
TXAng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandcycle View Post
The POP is a good choice for price and safety in numbers. Plan your vacation for after the run is over. If you have a week, spend days in the parks after the race. Room prices are increased just for this weekend.
THIS. This year's PHM was my first Disney event (though not my first half marathon), and I was so glad that we planned the main part of the vacation for after the race. I was too keyed up in the couple of days before the race to really relax and enjoy the parks - worried that I was walking around too much, not sleeping enough, and having to be cautious about what I ate. The days after the race were way more fun.

We stayed at Pop and it was great!

It was a really fun race, and even with the heat and humidity, the miles seemed to fly by. Have FUN!
__________________
~Ang~



TXAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran
 
MoonFaerie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Big Orange Country
Posts: 1,748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerngirl71 View Post
I trained all year for this past race. The one thing I wish I had done differently was train outside (I live in Louisiana) to prepare myself for the heat and humidity. I trained on an indoor track at my gym. I also did not properly fuel. My friend that ran with me ate a power bar through the race and was fine. I did one gu shot but just did not feel like I needed anything else. Immediately after the race I ate a banana and thought that was enough but I started to black out waiting for the bus after the race. I have never experienced anything like that before. I was not dizzy at all but my vision kept getting darker and darker. I ate a luna bar and immediately felt better.
On the flip side, I wish I'd trained inside more to prepare for the heat.

I'm in TN, so we have plenty of heat an humidity through at least mid-Oct, sometimes later. The PHM however is at the tail end of winter here, so all my outside miles meant my body was used to 40 degree weather.

I'm pretty sure when I decide to do the Goofy (either 2015 or 2018), I'm going to buy a treadmill. Then I'll plop it in front of the TV and crank up the heat.
__________________
Me DS (10) DD (9)
MoonFaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #12
longhorns2
DIS Veteran
 
longhorns2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin-ish, TX
Posts: 1,868

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyMoos View Post
1. Train. Train and Train and TRAIN! Start now, you have plenty of time to ease in and then get down to business towards the end of this year. I started in July of last year, as a complete non-runner, someone who exercised once a week. I did great.
2. Don't let how complicated it all seems scare you. Stick to these boards, Disney maps things out so well, you'll be fine. I was very intimidated by the process but it all ran very smoothly when I arrived.
3. Give yourself lots of time down there. Time for the Expo(it can get very busy), time to get to the race, etc.

Yes, some ladies do it all. The 5k and the half, or the kids races and the half. This year I just did the half, no other events. Next year it will be a family trip and we'll do more of the family races with our kids. The 5k is early Saturday morning and the kids races are after that.
The Expo itself runs Friday and Saturday. This is where you bring in your signed waivers(which you get a few weeks before the race), where you pick up your bib and race goodies(t-shirt and stuff). There are also lots of vendors so you can do shopping. I recommend going very early if you can, it gets busy fast, and there are commemorative items that Disney sells(like shirts that say "I Did It!" with the race info) that sell out pretty quickly. I went when they opened on the first day, didn't fight lines and got the items I wanted, like the t-shirt.
Prepare for all kinds of weather. I've heard in the past it's been chilly and/or rainy. This year was very much not. It was very warm(70 degrees when we left at 3am) and extremely humid, humidity in the mid to upper 90s. It was rough on a lot of people, esp people coming from the cold north. Make sure you know how to fuel your body and properly hydrate. Training now helps with more than just getting ready to run, it helps you practice how to treat your body in different conditions, since you'll run in the spring, the heat of summer, the temps in fall and winter. Longer training runs will also help you tinker with the right ways to fuel your body. Everyone is different when it comes to that.
Disney has add ons all weekend, from breakfast after the 5k, a pasta party the evening before the race, race retreat(a special tent you pay to get in to before and after the race with extra amenities), ChEar packages if you have family coming to watch.
Lastly, my biggest piece of advice, besides training, is to relax and have fun! This year was my first year. I can't tell you how much I stressed in the months leading up to it. The idea of getting swept and not finishing, the idea of not being ready, just the weekend in general, because it was unknown to me. Turns out I had nothing to worry about and I probably just annoyed my travel buddy with my constant stream of questions and fretting lol. I trained plenty and was physically ready for the race. There was little pressure, Disney puts on a great race, I had a lot of fun, and it's so fulfilling.
You were NOT annoying! You didn't see all my posts on the Princess thread in 2010-2011. Now that, that was annoying.

As long as you put in the effort and train- just do the work- anyone can do this race and not get swept! (barring injuries of course!)

I'd say make sure to get a 10K time, stay onsite at a host hotel if possible, and don't go into it thinking you are going to PR--- it happens, but it's really tough under the crowded conditions of the course. Try to go with the flow and don't sweat the small stuff!
__________________
Patty, aka Mommy to DS 1 DS 2 DD 1 DS 3 and DD 2

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran
 
MoonFaerie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Big Orange Country
Posts: 1,748

While yes, training is important, it's equally important not to over train. Follow the mileage increases in whatever plan you choice. Don't increase your mileage too fast. And if you miss a long run or two, which will probably happen at some point, don't worry about it and don't try to make up the mileage. Just pick up where you left off.
__________________
Me DS (10) DD (9)
MoonFaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
tmanaster
Mouseketeer
 
tmanaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie View Post
While yes, training is important, it's equally important not to over train. Follow the mileage increases in whatever plan you choice. Don't increase your mileage too fast. And if you miss a long run or two, which will probably happen at some point, don't worry about it and don't try to make up the mileage. Just pick up where you left off.
Yes!! Too much running can actually be counterproductive and cause injury!
__________________
Tricia 36 DH 35
Mom to 4 awesome kids
15 13 9 9
Visit us at www.roadtriptheworld.com

Many DW visits as a child First Family Trip POR 2005 AS Movies 2006
ASMu/Fort Wilderness Cabins 2008 Pop Century 2010
Disney Princess Half Marathon~ Mom and Daughter trip! POR February 2011
Disney Princess Half Marathon Mom and Daughter trip! All Star Sports 2013
tmanaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #15
dewingedpixie
Mouseketeer
 
dewingedpixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerngirl71 View Post
I trained all year for this past race. The one thing I wish I had done differently was train outside (I live in Louisiana) to prepare myself for the heat and humidity. I trained on an indoor track at my gym. I also did not properly fuel. My friend that ran with me ate a power bar through the race and was fine. I did one gu shot but just did not feel like I needed anything else. Immediately after the race I ate a banana and thought that was enough but I started to black out waiting for the bus after the race. I have never experienced anything like that before. I was not dizzy at all but my vision kept getting darker and darker. I ate a luna bar and immediately felt better.
This was a good thing to learn. Fuel is different for everyone. I cant handle power bars or gu. I eat a half pack of sports beans ever 2.5 miles for anything over 6 miles. In a hot race Salt Tabs are your friend, especially in longer distances like a 70.3 where the half marathon is the last portion after you've already spent yourself.
__________________
Pi}{ie

dewingedpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.