Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
ReturnToOz
Earning My Ears

Magic Hours & Booking your Dining

I was wondering does the Park Hours & Calendars (extra magic hours) come out 180 days from visit? If so how do people plan restaurant bookings that also can be booked 180 days out.

For example if a certain park opens early (magic hours) do you book a character breakfast for the magic hour morning or a regular morning opening? How about dinner? What is logistically better?

I understand that if you can get magic hours you should plan on going to that park that day.

Out of curiosity is there better magic hours for certain parks in the evening or morning?
ReturnToOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
ReturnToOz
Earning My Ears

Anyone?

No thoughts ......?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
Iloveeliot
DIS Veteran

You should know the park hours before your 180 day window. We don't go to extra magic hours because the park with EMH tends to be the busies park. I have read that if you have a park hopper you might want to go to the morning EMHs and later in the afternoon when the park gets busy you should hop to a less busy park. I have also heard evening EMHs tend to be busier than morning EMHs. People tend to not want to get up early on their vacation so that will be the time when you can get the most rides done. I would definitely NOT eat during morning EMHs that would be a total waste of an empty park when lines are short. I would schedule your breakfasts for a day that there aren't morning EMHs and make them as early as possible. It is cool to walk into a park before it opens when no one is there. Eat your breakfast and get to the park as early as possible. On the days you go to morning EMHs do a late lunch or a dinner when the park will be the most crowded and the lines are the longest. Good luck and have a great trip!
Old 02-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Svhadden
Mouseketeer

Park hours are out before 180 days, and you should be able to see what parks have EMH. We'll be 180 days out on Sunday, but I've already planned out our ADR's based on park hours that have been posted for several days now.

And it really depends on when you go as to the crowd levels in parks that have EMH. We go the week of Labor Day, and we take advantage of EMH's every chance we get because crowd levels are so low during that time .

Always dreaming about our yearly September trip .
Svhadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

I have to disagree with PP EMH in the evening can be great. The park is pretty much bare. We love MK hours that are till 1 or 2 in the morning because you can walk on to all the rides. We did this last fall and two weeks ago and it was kind of spokey because there was hardly a sole in the park. It was like having the park all to ourselves.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
ReturnToOz
Earning My Ears

This will be my first trip in over ten years. So when or how do you figure out when the park is most crowded?

"On the days you go to morning EMHs do a late lunch or a dinner when the park will be the most crowded and the lines are the longest. Good luck and have a great trip"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloveeliot View Post
You should know the park hours before your 180 day window. We don't go to extra magic hours because the park with EMH tends to be the busies park. I have read that if you have a park hopper you might want to go to the morning EMHs and later in the afternoon when the park gets busy you should hop to a less busy park. I have also heard evening EMHs tend to be busier than morning EMHs. People tend to not want to get up early on their vacation so that will be the time when you can get the most rides done. I would definitely NOT eat during morning EMHs that would be a total waste of an empty park when lines are short. I would schedule your breakfasts for a day that there aren't morning EMHs and make them as early as possible. It is cool to walk into a park before it opens when no one is there. Eat your breakfast and get to the park as early as possible. On the days you go to morning EMHs do a late lunch or a dinner when the park will be the most crowded and the lines are the longest. Good luck and have a great trip!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
krichie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly F - Ohio View Post
I have to disagree with PP EMH in the evening can be great. The park is pretty much bare. We love MK hours that are till 1 or 2 in the morning because you can walk on to all the rides. We did this last fall and two weeks ago and it was kind of spokey because there was hardly a sole in the park. It was like having the park all to ourselves.
I'm wondering if EMH park crowds also have to do with time of year? I hear so many different opinions, my only guess is that when EMH crowd levels are high, it is peak season and when EMH crowd levels are low, it is "slow" season.

I am taking my first DW Vacation Sept. 9th-14th ("slow" season) and I am trying to decide whether to do EMH (morning or evening). I'm not getting park hopper tix since it is my first trip.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
bkmommy12
Earning My Ears

New here!! We are going the last week in March for first time. Crazy, I know, but it's the only date that worked for us. Is magic kingdom really open until 1am? If so, I will have my kids take a later nap and get up and go back about 8 or 9.
bkmommy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:24 AM   #9
BeccaDoingDisney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnToOz
I was wondering does the Park Hours & Calendars (extra magic hours) come out 180 days from visit? If so how do people plan restaurant bookings that also can be booked 180 days out.

For example if a certain park opens early (magic hours) do you book a character breakfast for the magic hour morning or a regular morning opening? How about dinner? What is logistically better?

I understand that if you can get magic hours you should plan on going to that park that day.

Out of curiosity is there better magic hours for certain parks in the evening or morning?
As a former Cast Member that has worked Extra Magic Hours in the evening, it is completely dead. My family and I would always go during the evening EMH because you literally could walk onto one of the most popular rides at Disney World and ride it 6 times in a row. However, one down side to the evening EMH is that not as many characters are out.
BeccaDoingDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:27 AM   #10
BeccaDoingDisney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmommy12
New here!! We are going the last week in March for first time. Crazy, I know, but it's the only date that worked for us. Is magic kingdom really open until 1am? If so, I will have my kids take a later nap and get up and go back about 8 or 9.
If you're staying at a Disney hotel then you're able to take advantage of the Extra Magic Hours! Magic Kingdom is usually open to 1 AM on the Extra Magic Hours, sometimes a little earlier.
BeccaDoingDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
amandajune
Earning My Ears

Another question to add to this- I just called reservations and the CM told me that on April 30,2013 when we will be at MK that it will be open at 8 with EMH at 7am- so I booked my character breakfast for 10:00am - now I'm looking more and I don't see anywhere about EMH for that day- do they sometimes change EMH or add some and not update their site? My reservations/plans for that morning may have just been ruined!!!
amandajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #12
Clan Oz
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly F - Ohio View Post
1 or 2 am, in the morning - that could work for my family.
Rides all still operate etc?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #13
LoveToTravel2001
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmommy12 View Post
We just got back and on Sunday night MK was open until 1:00, add on EMH and it was open until 3:00am. This was the weekend of March 9th.
WDW - CBR 5/14 The Summit
LoveToTravel2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #14
LoveToTravel2001
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan Oz View Post

1 or 2 am, in the morning - that could work for my family.
Rides all still operate etc?
Many rides operate but not necessarily ALL. There is a list of which rides a open during morning and evening EMH.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #15
LoveToTravel2001
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmommy12 View Post
Oh, and welcome!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: