Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #46
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishingMom View Post
Why would you assume it was a glitch? If it was live on the system, regardless of whether or not it was accidental, why wouldn't the OP think it was actually live for the general public?
Agreed. It's Disney that was at fault for having the test go live to the public for that short time. It's not guests' responsibility to assume what they're seeing with their own eyes on the app is erroneous information, or to spend vacation time checking out disboards to see if there's supposed to be a rollout of FP+ or not.

I think the OP was wise, though, to go to guest services and make sure that those FP+'s were valid, only to find out they were not.

But I think the IT CM did well to give the OP traditional FPs to make up for that time spent in guest services and to alleviate any possible dashed expectations, which I think would have been valid on the OP's part, though the OP showed no indication of it.

Even though it was a faux pas by Disney to allow the testing to go live and public like that for a short time, it's still interesting to read this glimpse into what FP+ may well look like, once bugs are fixed. Just because Disney's IT staff has shown incompetence at times does not mean FP+ won't eventually work well (though some may not like the idea that much). They've had IT issues for a long time, but I think the traditional FP system has worked well, and it was groundbreaking stuff when it first came out.

I really don't understand why anyone needs to question the motive of the OP. OP did not indicate any undue expectations of having those FP+'s honored after it was revealed the public test was a mistake, nor did OP indicate any expectations of any kind of traditional FP remuneration for the trouble. OP only indicated that it was given. I have no way of knowing the OP's motives or actions while actually there; I can only read the OP's post, and in no way did that post read as expecting something that wasn't due.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #47
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968 View Post
Agreed. It's Disney that was at fault for having the test go live to the public for that short time. It's not guests' responsibility to assume what they're seeing with their own eyes on the app is erroneous information, or to spend vacation time checking out disboards to see if there's supposed to be a rollout of FP+ or not.

I think the OP was wise, though, to go to guest services and make sure that those FP+'s were valid, only to find out they were not.

But I think the IT CM did well to give the OP traditional FPs to make up for that time spent in guest services and to alleviate any possible dashed expectations, which I think would have been valid on the OP's part, though the OP showed no indication of it.

Even though it was a faux pas by Disney to allow the testing to go live and public like that for a short time, it's still interesting to read this glimpse into what FP+ may well look like, once bugs are fixed. Just because Disney's IT staff has shown incompetence at times does not mean FP+ won't eventually work well (though some may not like the idea that much). They've had IT issues for a long time, but I think the traditional FP system has worked well, and it was groundbreaking stuff when it first came out.

I really don't understand why anyone needs to question the motive of the OP. OP did not indicate any undue expectations of having those FP+'s honored after it was revealed the public test was a mistake, nor did OP indicate any expectations of any kind of traditional FP remuneration for the trouble. OP only indicated that it was given. I have no way of knowing the OP's motives or actions while actually there; I can only read the OP's post, and in no way did that post read as expecting something that wasn't due.

Thanks OP for relaying your experience!

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #48
DAZY3BYZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Exactly!!
Thank you OP for sharing your experience with the mysterious FP+

1999-ALL Star-sports; 2003- POR; 2004- POR; 2006 POR-POLY; 2007 POLY; 2009 POR-BC; 2010 POR-AKL
Old 02-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #49
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCFanatik View Post

Do you really think they are just going to roll this thing out unannounced?
That is the very definition of a soft opening.

And someone has to be first.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #50
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

If you go through and read the entire patent information that is linked to a DIS blog post (at the top of the page), all of this makes sense.

The patent reads like Disney is trying to create an optimized touring plan for everyone, one that reduces congestion in high traffic walkways, and evenly distributes guests around the park. The patent wording made it sound like you wouldn't be able to choose your own times (or you would be discouraged from doing so, and it would be more difficult), because Disney wants to control where you are, and at what times.

The patent does specifically mention tiers though, so who knows!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #51
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Honestly, if you, yourself had the same thing happen to you would you really believe that the FP+ system was fully operational or would you suspect there was some sort of testing going on?
Of course I would, just like the OP did. MM+/FP+ has been announced. They stated that it's going to go live soon. Why wouldn't the ability to preschedule FPs be a signal that it was live for some group that the company has me in?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #52
UNCFanatik
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
That is the very definition of a soft opening.

And someone has to be first.
I agree someone has to be first. But it makes zero sense that anyone would think they would just randomly make the app fully functional and roll the dice on any users actually stumbling upon this.

This isnt like a soft opening for a ride or restaurant. Apples and oranges.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #53
UNCFanatik
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
Of course I would, just like the OP did. MM+/FP+ has been announced. They stated that it's going to go live soon. Why wouldn't the ability to preschedule FPs be a signal that it was live for some group that the company has me in?
So you would equate to them stating it would go live soon to some random unannounced turning up of the system?

And if one were put into some kind of beta test group, Disney would reach out to you and notify you because they need feedback.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #54
Mad Hattered
I had a stick of CareFree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality.

UNC is just upset that someone got a handful of FP's because they didn't have to work for them. Just do a search of this poster here on the DIS and you will see it's not worth your time to debate anything with them. Apparently both the OP and the IT CM were wrong. Leave it at that folks. Trust me.

I like escalators, because an escalator can never break; it can only become stairs. There would never be an “Escalator Temporarily Out of Order” sign. Only an “Escalator Temporarily Stairs… Sorry for the Convenience.”
Old 02-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #55
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So you would equate to them stating it would go live soon to some random unannounced turning up of the system?
The combination of the knowledge that it will 'go live soon' and the app allowing FPs to be prescheduled would send the signal that the future is now.

Quote:
And if one were put into some kind of beta test group, Disney would reach out to you and notify you because they need feedback.
I never mentioned beta testing. That was you.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #56
Mad Hattered
I had a stick of CareFree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality.

Quote:

As a lifelong Kentucky basketball fan (whose heart was crushed by the Laettner "miracle" shot in 1992), I can relate!
I bleed Kentucky Blue here, too!! And yes, Christian was/is the anti-christ!
I like escalators, because an escalator can never break; it can only become stairs. There would never be an “Escalator Temporarily Out of Order” sign. Only an “Escalator Temporarily Stairs… Sorry for the Convenience.”
Old 02-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #57
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Enough!

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: