Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

Sat behind someone giving possible bad Disney info today...

Sitting at Potbelly for lunch, i overheard two women talking -- sounded like one was going to Disney and asking the other for advice. "Should we get there when the park opens?" "Well, will your family be all ready to go? It's not really that important to get there that early." "I heard you have to make reservations for meals." "No, you can usually just walk up." "How do I know which parks I want to go to every day?" "Just decide how you feel that morning! It's the experience you want, you don't need to plan everything out." "I heard about Photopass - is that worth it?" "No, last time I did it, I had four pictures worth printing, so I paid more than $100 for 4 pictures."

Now, depending on when the visitor is going, all of this is possibly correct, I realize. But it took an awful lot of self control to not jump into this conversation - I'm not quite that big of a busybody to jump into strangers' conversation -- but I was cringing inside! Especially as I'm in the middle of helping our high school's band and choir group plan for their trip next month, so all of this is on my mind right now!

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
DVCBELLE
Princess at Heart

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

When could what she be saying possibly be correct ?!!?!?!?

Okay - so I know some people aren't planners and I have friends who go to Disney and come home and tell us about their trip and had a great time and I am cringing at all the stupid things they did - like getting to the parks 3 hours after opening, etc....but it works for them.

If they only know how awesome Disney could be if they only knew. My sister learned all my tips and tricks from me and told me she had no idea how great it could be!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
jdcthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erincon23
Sitting at Potbelly for lunch, i overheard two women talking -- sounded like one was going to Disney and asking the other for advice. "Should we get there when the park opens?" "Well, will your family be all ready to go? It's not really that important to get there that early." "I heard you have to make reservations for meals." "No, you can usually just walk up." "How do I know which parks I want to go to every day?" "Just decide how you feel that morning! It's the experience you want, you don't need to plan everything out." "I heard about Photopass - is that worth it?" "No, last time I did it, I had four pictures worth printing, so I paid more than $100 for 4 pictures."

Now, depending on when the visitor is going, all of this is possibly correct, I realize. But it took an awful lot of self control to not jump into this conversation - I'm not quite that big of a busybody to jump into strangers' conversation -- but I was cringing inside! Especially as I'm in the middle of helping our high school's band and choir group plan for their trip next month, so all of this is on my mind right now!
I hope the woman planning the trip does a little more research. Maybe she will even find this board.
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06
jdcthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
MaxsDad
DIS Veteran

To be fair I think the only thing really incorrect is the reservations. All the rest could change depending on the family

Posted from Disboards.com App for Android
MaxsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

It really depends on what kind of vacation you want to have.
Some people are perfectly happy sleeping in, eating at whatever restaurant they can walk up to, and taking their own photos.

I prefer to minimize my time waiting in line (even during the slowest times of year some attractions have waits of longer than an hour during peak times) eating at the restaurants I want at the times I want them, and having a few more opportunities to get a few good photos.

I just hope the person giving the advice and the person receiving it have similar expectations.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
erincon23

Yeah, I wanted to drop a little note on top of her sandwich that just said "disboards.com." Don't know how I'd take that though if someone did that to me!
But if I checked it out, I might be really grateful.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
Vickyrowe
Only 4 Months Until My Birthday Trip !!!!!

I had a similar situation here in the UK , but from a travel agent , the guests were travelling this year 2013 , and the guy was telling them that the new park !!!!! :O ( meaning FLE ) was open with a beauty and the beast area and a new rollercoaster!

My Husband actually pulled me away before I could jump in , but I felt bad that this guy was mis- informing them
Vickyrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

My MIL tried to convince me that we should sleep in AND take a midday break. Luckily I found out about the Dis and dragged her butt out of bed for rope drop each and every morning.

-------------
firecracker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
Mike2023
DIS Veteran

While I don't agree with all the advice the person gave, that does not make it "bad advice".

People vacation different ways. Some, really like to plan, surf the web, and end up on sites like this. Most, don't.

Objectively we could argue both sides of every peice of advice that person gave.

Everyone will always have different opinions and thats cool. I think you made the right choice by not "jumping in'.

Edited to add,

I think it would have been cool if you had of said something like "overheard you're going to disney, check out disboards.com" or something like that..

Truthfully, we might have scared her away. lol

{1997 - July - CBR (First Trip)}{1999 - July - Off site}{2005 - June - Off site (Honeymoon)}{2006 - May - Off site (1 Year Anniversary)}
{2008 - April - AKL (3 Year Anniversary)}{2009 - May - AKL,POLY,POR (4 Year Anniversary/DD first Trip)}{2010 - Jan - BLT,AKV,POLY}
{2010 - Oct - BLT,BCV,AKL}{2011 - Aug - AKL}{2012 - Jun - PCC3.0,AKL,BCV}{2013 - May - AKL,DCL}{2013 - Oct - POP}{2014 - Mar - AOA,BLT,DCL}
{2015 - Feb - BWV (Daytonay500)}{2015 - Oct - Offsite,DCL,US (10th Anniversary)}
Mike2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
erincon23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2023 View Post
While I don't agree with all the advice the person gave, that does not make it "bad advice".

People vacation different ways. Some, really like to plan, surf the web, and end up on sites like this. Most, don't.

Objectively we could argue both sides of every peice of advice that person gave.

Everyone will always have different opinions and thats cool. I think you made the right choice by not "jumping in'.
That's why I said "possible" bad advice- I presume she knows something about her friend's family, and the traveler knows how knowledgeable the friend is about Disney. And of course, depending on when you go, you can easily manage without ADRs (when I went in both June and October, we were able to walk up and get seated quickly, but I'm sure that won't be the case when we go Easter week). Or rope drop. So maybe the traveler was going on an off-time, and the advice-giver knew that! But it still made me cringe. And I'm enough of a "know it all" that I had to stuff my sandwich in my mouth to keep quiet.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
Mike2023
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erincon23 View Post
That's why I said "possible" bad advice- I presume she knows something about her friend's family, and the traveler knows how knowledgeable the friend is about Disney. And of course, depending on when you go, you can easily manage without ADRs (when I went in both June and October, we were able to walk up and get seated quickly, but I'm sure that won't be the case when we go Easter week). Or rope drop. So maybe the traveler was going on an off-time, and the advice-giver knew that! But it still made me cringe. And I'm enough of a "know it all" that I had to stuff my sandwich in my mouth to keep quiet.

I edited my post, but your quick and missed it. lol

Quote:
I think it would have been cool if you had of said something like "overheard you're going to disney, check out disboards.com" or something like that..

Truthfully, we might have scared her away. lol
You have more restraint them me. I once corrected someone in line for Haunted Mansion who was going on and on about how when you're in the stretching room you're actually in an elevator going down and if you pay attention you can feel it. She didn't believe me when I told her she was thinking about Disneyland.

{1997 - July - CBR (First Trip)}{1999 - July - Off site}{2005 - June - Off site (Honeymoon)}{2006 - May - Off site (1 Year Anniversary)}
{2008 - April - AKL (3 Year Anniversary)}{2009 - May - AKL,POLY,POR (4 Year Anniversary/DD first Trip)}{2010 - Jan - BLT,AKV,POLY}
{2010 - Oct - BLT,BCV,AKL}{2011 - Aug - AKL}{2012 - Jun - PCC3.0,AKL,BCV}{2013 - May - AKL,DCL}{2013 - Oct - POP}{2014 - Mar - AOA,BLT,DCL}
{2015 - Feb - BWV (Daytonay500)}{2015 - Oct - Offsite,DCL,US (10th Anniversary)}
Mike2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
PKT531
Mouseketeer

That's kind of how we roll at Disney and we have been 6 times in the last 3 years and only during peak times....Christmas, spring break and summer.

We have never been to rope drop. Usually don't make ADR's and we always have the best time.

We also wake up and decide which park to hit or sometimes decide the night before.

Too much planning is not me. I love having the insider knowledge but I prefer to fly by the seat of my pants.
March 2010...POFQ
June 2010...POP and Animal Kingdom Lodge
June 2011...POR
PKT531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
GordonD
Earning My Ears

Each to his own, and congratulations on such self control. I for one would have been overwhelmed by her "unique" advice. So much is subject to time of year and individual preferences.

The only good point is that person wont be at rope drop, which gives me fewer people to have to outrun
GordonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #14
anniemck
DIS Veteran

Never go at rope drop, haven't missed a ride or show we have wanted yet. Don't make reservations for dinner either, even Mothers Day walked up to 50's Prime Time and only waited 20 minutes for a table for 5.
If someone was to attempt to get me up to be at the park just for rope drop I would NOT be traveling with them any longer.
We like to wing it and not feel pressured.

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
anniemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #15
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by erincon23

Are you sure it was WDW and not DL?

I only ask b/c at DL
Park opening is not as important ( smaller parks and can get them done faster)
ADR are not needed in most cases
The two parks at DL Are next to each other, so hopping is VERY easily done..
Photopass was a bit of a let down at DL only b/c photo pass was not everywhere like in WDW.. Other then the Main Street and cars land they are very hard to find..
We got some great pics, and enough to make it worth our while, but I know at WDW we would have had at least 2/3 more!

Lorilais_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: