Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #91
Kidlette
DIS Veteran

Heather - she's BEAUTIFUL! You have a beautiful family, too!

Steve - we are sooooooo not doing FE's this time, but we'll put out our FE JUST to get goodies from you Can't wait to see you guys next week! I'll email you about that tonight.

Hey - I'm subscribed to this thread but not getting the daily notice...or any notices at all. Anyone else having the same problem?

Coming Soon - January 2013 Animal Kingdom Villas!
October 2012: Disney Wonder (Mexican Riviera)
January 2011: Disney Wonder (Mexican Riviera)
January 2011: Disney Wonder (Cruise to Nowhere)
January 2010: Animal Kingdom Villas
January 2009: Animal Kingdom Villas
January 2009: Coronado Springs Resort
January 2009: Disney Wonder (Bahamas)
October 2008: Port Orleans French Quarter
xxxxMay 2008: Saratoga Springs Resort
January 2008: Port Orleans French Quarter

Kidlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #92
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidlette View Post
Heather - she's BEAUTIFUL! You have a beautiful family, too!

Steve - we are sooooooo not doing FE's this time, but we'll put out our FE JUST to get goodies from you Can't wait to see you guys next week! I'll email you about that tonight.

Hey - I'm subscribed to this thread but not getting the daily notice...or any notices at all. Anyone else having the same problem?
And I find that I get notices and there is nothing new. So, it must not be working properly.
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #93
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huney View Post
Here's a pic from today...she's 4 months old . Her name is Lina.

Oh my goodness, she's precious!! And tall! My DD2 is 11 months and she looks about the same height lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
I forgot to mention that my son and his wife just moved back home after living in Orange County for about 3 years. They were in Rancho Santa Margarita, and they loved it there, but thank heavens they missed family even more.
Rwethereyet---We've booked, but we're still only 80% going since it's just DD and I. My husband can't come. (I guess, don't add me to the roster yet. ) I hope there's an organized meet or something! I don't want to do the adult stuff all alone If we do this cruise we'll definitely do the FE.

BTW, I love RSM! For a while that was our closest Walmart so I had to drive all the way down there just to do our Walmart runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaren View Post
Hi lilpooh! Yep, I got a new job in January here in the East Bay area and just moved into my house last week. DH & DS will be following in another month or so (DH wanted him to finish up the school year on Maui). So glad to leave Hawaii for California. Its a great place to visit, and we'll consider retiring there, but we really missed Cali.
Yay! Another DVC-er on board!
Taaren---I lived in SF for a few years for school. I miss the food in NorCal!

Is Maui boring to live in? I guess its much different than visiting. I've always wanted to retire on Oahu. My dream home would be one of the houses with a backyard leading to a dock at the bottom of Hawaii Kai near the Hawaii Kai Costco. I've always wanted to take a small boat to that Costco to load up on groceries. That's like, my dream retirement. Boating to Costco.

Last edited by lilpooh108; 03-28-2013 at 09:47 PM.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #94
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Taaren---I lived in SF for a few years for school. I miss the food in NorCal!

Is Maui boring to live in? I guess its much different than visiting. I've always wanted to retire on Oahu. My dream home would be one of the houses with a backyard leading to a dock at the bottom of Hawaii Kai near the Hawaii Kai Costco. I've always wanted to take a small boat to that Costco to load up on groceries. That's like, my dream retirement. Boating to Costco.
It is very different from visiting, though when friends come to town you occasionally do tourist stuff, and when the kids are out of school taking them to the beach is nice. I don't remember it being boring when I was growing up ... but back then I enjoyed things like hiking and having guava fights. Once I got used to the mainland where I have access to great museums, nightlife, major concerts, theatre productions, all within driving distance it was hard to go back. The nature is still there but the more refined cultural activities associated with metropolitan life are MIA, which I do take advantage of regularly here. Even on Oahu, its pretty lacking: to give you an idea, Wicked just came to Honolulu for the first time in late 2012.

We left because of a few factors. The money factor was a big one - paradise isn't cheap, with milk at $5/gallon and small fixer-upper homes in marginal neighborhoods starting at half a million, and comparable jobs pay about 1/3 less salary than here in California ... we didn't love Maui enough to make the sacrifices necessary to continue living there. The other factor was that while my family was on Maui, my husband's folks are in Arizona and his extended family is still in California, and the vast majority of our friends and adopted families that we spent our twenties with are here. All of our friends on Maui in their 20's and 30's kept leaving because of the high cost of living combined with fewer opportunities for good jobs unrelated to tourism. We realized about a year after we left that California really was home, but with the economy the way it was and my son being so young, we made a plan to return right before he started kindergarten since the schools are so much better here. Unfortunately the jobs didn't come through until he was halfway through kindergarten, but better late than never.

Anyhow, those are my reasons California is a much better place to spend your middle-life years. We did like some things about it, and I do think its a great place to retire ... I may not have a choice about that given my family's situation, but being able to boat to Costco is a nice dream.

Sorry about the novel.

I'm jealous that you live so close to my home resort! Even though I prefer NorCal for a variety of reasons, I would love love love to be closer to DLR and have weekends at the VGC be able to be a once every month or two sort of thing instead of a couple of times a year since only a long weekend will make that drive worthwhile.
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #95
Huney
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the compliments on dd. She's pretty much the twin of ODD lol.

How funny that some of you have connections to Hawaii and NorCal. We do too...dh and I grew up on the north shore of Oahu and we lived in the Bay Area for 8.5 years before we moved to San Diego about a year ago.

Huney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:35 AM   #96
airtime247
Certified Coaster Junkie

I'm loving all the cute pictures! I'd try to take and post one of mine but she won't stand still long enough for me to take one! She will be 8 at the time of the cruise so it will be nice having other kids close to her age to play with.

My daughter insists on the FE so we have little choice. This was her big disappointment with not sailing with Disney. I asked her if she was interested in sailing on Disney again with our friends and she said, "Wait, is this the boat with the presents in the fish?" I said yes and she started dancing with excitement. The kids clubs, food, shows, pools and characters are a distant second to her fish presents so it's a must for us.

We're another NorCal DVC family. I lived most of my life in the Bay Area but now live about 5 hours north so what most people call northern California, we now call central! We are still down there to visit often as we have family in Martinez and Mountain View and friends scattered about the east and south bay.

It seems like we already have a good sized group for being this far out from the cruise. This should be a lot of fun!

-steve
airtime247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #97
Huney
Mouseketeer

I think we'll do the FE too, but I need to figure it all out

Steve, we used to live in Mountain View and Sunnyvale. We really miss it. We're going back in 6 weeks for a weekend visit, can't wait

Huney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #98
RweTHEREyet

I think I am caught up on the roster. If I have missed anyone, my apologies, and please let me know so I can get you on there.

Taaren, just let me know when/if you are ready for me to add you.

Kew423, I am not sure how you want to keep track of the FE folks, but I will be glad to indicate who is participating on the roster, either by just putting FE by their name, or an asterisk or something. If I need to put a link to anything regarding the FE for folks to find it easily, let me know.

I agree, it is nice that our group is growing so early, so far in advance of the cruise.

Last edited by RweTHEREyet; 03-29-2013 at 08:21 AM.
RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #99
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaren View Post
It is very different from visiting, though when friends come to town you occasionally do tourist stuff, and when the kids are out of school taking them to the beach is nice. I don't remember it being boring when I was growing up ... but back then I enjoyed things like hiking and having guava fights. Once I got used to the mainland where I have access to great museums, nightlife, major concerts, theatre productions, all within driving distance it was hard to go back. The nature is still there but the more refined cultural activities associated with metropolitan life are MIA, which I do take advantage of regularly here. Even on Oahu, its pretty lacking: to give you an idea, Wicked just came to Honolulu for the first time in late 2012.

We left because of a few factors. The money factor was a big one - paradise isn't cheap, with milk at $5/gallon and small fixer-upper homes in marginal neighborhoods starting at half a million, and comparable jobs pay about 1/3 less salary than here in California ... we didn't love Maui enough to make the sacrifices necessary to continue living there. The other factor was that while my family was on Maui, my husband's folks are in Arizona and his extended family is still in California, and the vast majority of our friends and adopted families that we spent our twenties with are here. All of our friends on Maui in their 20's and 30's kept leaving because of the high cost of living combined with fewer opportunities for good jobs unrelated to tourism. We realized about a year after we left that California really was home, but with the economy the way it was and my son being so young, we made a plan to return right before he started kindergarten since the schools are so much better here. Unfortunately the jobs didn't come through until he was halfway through kindergarten, but better late than never.

Anyhow, those are my reasons California is a much better place to spend your middle-life years. We did like some things about it, and I do think its a great place to retire ... I may not have a choice about that given my family's situation, but being able to boat to Costco is a nice dream.

Sorry about the novel.

I'm jealous that you live so close to my home resort! Even though I prefer NorCal for a variety of reasons, I would love love love to be closer to DLR and have weekends at the VGC be able to be a once every month or two sort of thing instead of a couple of times a year since only a long weekend will make that drive worthwhile.
I understand about the cost of living v. expenses thing. While in graduate school, I interviewed with companies from downtown Honolulu, LA, SF and the OC. It was surprising the work-hour requirements for the Honolulu company, since their salary scale was about 60% of what OC companies were offering (not to even mention LA or SF). I have a good friend that moved to Oahu for her boyfriend, but she moved back after a few years because she couldn't see herself living there longterm (same issues you mentioned re cultural experiences, nightlife, salary scale).

I love Orange County, but I would like to move further south in the OC (like San Clemente). It's getting way too crowded where I live, but it is so nice to be close to Disneyland. I'm taking a few years off from work to raise my babies and its been amazing to spend time with my kids at Disneyland as an AP holder. We also LOVE VGC (I just posted on the VGC lovers thread). What a great resort!

Huney, Airtime & Rwethereyet-- its so interesting that alot of DIS'ers on this cruise have so many things in common! This will be a fun group
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:56 AM   #100
purplepaula
Earning My Ears

I am so excited about this cruise and this group seems great.

I experienced my first Disney cruise on the Magic in Feb with my family and was in love. I have done other cruises and was so excited to go on Disney. I was a little worried it might not live up to my expectations but it was even better. I still look at my pictures and brings me instant happiness. I was very surprised I was able to convince my husband so quickly to book another (but we all realized it was our best vacation ever).

This cruise is pretty affordable for family of 6 and I love the 3 sea days. Plus I plan to visit Disneyland while I am in California (love California and very excited to visit again). I live in Alberta, Canada so Victoria is a quick flight home.

I wish I was more crafty but still so excited for the FE. I discovered the DISboards and FE, six weeks before my last cruise. It was so much fun to participate in the FE, my son and I had fun dropping off the gifts while trying not to get caught and really added to the Magic getting gifts left when we returned to the cabin.

Paula
-and taking DH (Jason), DS-18 (Quintin), DS-15 (Tristan), DS-9 (Hayden), DD-3 (Jaida) (ages during cruise-and it seems crazy that I have to type "18")
purplepaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #101
RweTHEREyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepaula View Post
I am so excited about this cruise and this group seems great.

I experienced my first Disney cruise on the Magic in Feb with my family and was in love. I have done other cruises and was so excited to go on Disney. I was a little worried it might not live up to my expectations but it was even better. I still look at my pictures and brings me instant happiness. I was very surprised I was able to convince my husband so quickly to book another (but we all realized it was our best vacation ever).

This cruise is pretty affordable for family of 6 and I love the 3 sea days. Plus I plan to visit Disneyland while I am in California (love California and very excited to visit again). I live in Alberta, Canada so Victoria is a quick flight home.

I wish I was more crafty but still so excited for the FE. I discovered the DISboards and FE, six weeks before my last cruise. It was so much fun to participate in the FE, my son and I had fun dropping off the gifts while trying not to get caught and really added to the Magic getting gifts left when we returned to the cabin.

Paula
-and taking DH (Jason), DS-18 (Quintin), DS-15 (Tristan), DS-9 (Hayden), DD-3 (Jaida) (ages during cruise-and it seems crazy that I have to type "18")
Welcome, Paula and family, so it seems you have caught the Disney cruise bug, welcome to the club, so glad you found us. I will get you added to the roster on the first page.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #102
Kidlette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Kew423, I am not sure how you want to keep track of the FE folks, but I will be glad to indicate who is participating on the roster, either by just putting FE by their name, or an asterisk or something. If I need to put a link to anything regarding the FE for folks to find it easily, let me know.
You will have to list the cabin number of each participant too, otherwise people won't know where to go to deliver their gifts. You also need to set up a method where people with GTY cabins or those who upgrade cabins at the pier can advise everyone of their last minute cabin assignment or cabin change. In the past I've seen people exchange this info at a big group meet, and I've also seen the group just require that those people walk around the ship and drop a note into each and every FE telling them of the change. The only problem with the latter is that it gets confusing when multiple people change and person "A" goes to leave a note for person "B" who is also no longer there. In that situation people get skipped because there is confusion or a lack of cross over between leaving notes (each party finds that there's no where to leave a note, so nothing is left for that family). It's up to the organizer, but getting a list of everyone's cabin numbers is a must!

Just to comment on all of the Cali / Hawaii talk - I'm jealous of where everyone lives or has lived! We were both born and raised in San Diego. We've never lived in Hawaii, but I have lived in other areas around the country. I've only been to Hawaii once and it was beautiful, but I COMPLETELY understand the lack of activities for residents. To those who live in Orange County, I'm curious - how is that? We won't have any info for 6 to 8 weeks, but my husband is being considered for a position out in that area. If he takes it we will have to leave our house (probably rent it out as we couldn't sell right now) and rent an apartment. Although I don't know how I feel about moving back to an apartment - especially now that we have a 1 year old - I must admit that the draw of living by the beach and Disneyland are both VERY appealing! Not to mention where I live now is WAY WORSE than Hawaii as far as activities go, lol. (We live in the hills in Riverside where all of the dairy farms are, and there's not much else...except a senior community, lol). Anyway, we'd either move to an apartment on/near Huntington) or Newport Beach, or to Garden Grove (about 3 miles from Disneyland). The job is in Irvine, so we could live anywhere from Huntington Beach down to Anaheim, these are just the locations I've considered and looked into. Really, I think if I have to leave my house for an apartment I would demand an apartment within a mile of the beach! Anyway - what's it like and how is it living in OC? How are the schools and things? Thanks for the input!

Old 03-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #103
Kidlette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just thought I'd also mention that the organizer is going to need to come up with a "close" date for FE participation, probably at least a month out, if not a little longer. Closing the FE list allows people to have a final count of how many people/cabins they must buy for and to get all of their goodies made and/or bought. It is also good to have some personalized info such as ages of children, genders, and favorite characters. A lot of people like to personalize their gifts, and these details help them to figure out appropriate gifts for everyone!

Old 03-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #104
RweTHEREyet

Thanks, Kidlette, I guess my question must have sounded as if I was heading this up and wasn't sure what to do, but Kew423 will be organizing and I just wanted to put a link to the listing that she creates. I am not sure if she has headed one up before or not, but I think she has participated in at least one. Thanks for the tips, I am sure she will find them helpful when she sets this up.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #105
airtime247
Certified Coaster Junkie

On past cruises, I edited a deck map of the ship and colored in the cabins of people participating in the FE. This made it easy for me to see where the cabins were in relation to each other so we didn't have do do any backtracking or having to walk forward to aft on every deck. I will be doing this again and will be happy to share it with anyone who might find it useful. Maybe we can put a link to it on the "Official" FE list?

I agree that it is very helpful to have at the very least ages and genders of the kids in each cabin on the FE list as some people like to gear their gifts to the kids. Twin teenage boys may not get much excitement from a roll of Tinkerbell stickers!

-steve
airtime247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: