Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
JackieLand
Seasoned Disney Fan

First Solo Trip

This is my first solo trip ever. I have been to DW at least 15 times in the past 10 years with my husband and son or both. Now I am divorced (27 year marriage) and am learning to have adventures on my own. Any advice for a 49 year old female traveling alone on a 5 day trip? I decided to stay somewhere completely different, CBR. I have always stayed at POR, AKL, or WL. Is CBR a good place to stay for singles and what should be my room request be for the best quiet ambience? I am going March 4-9. Thanks!
JackieLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

You will have to walk at CBR - so be prepared.

if you did not get a preferred room - would suggest Martinique or Aruba

here a map
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/cbrmap.htm

for things to do - how much money are you talking?

here a start - tours that Disney offers for a price
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/tours.htm

while you are there the flower/garden will be going on at Epcot
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/guide...wer-garden.htm

sorry about your marriage ending - that would hurt

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
ariamac
Mouseketeer

My best advice would be to stop, and smell the roses and do you! Eat whatever you want, when you want... stay out all day or sleep in, whatever makes you happy! I just came back from my first solo trip and my break up of a longterm relationship (...though not nearly as long as yours) prompted my trip so the trip was about learning how to be happy alone, enjoying my own company, and doing everything I like.

Granted I've only been to Disney World 3 times but this was my best trip! (Even better than the first time I saw that castle and freaked out!)

Go have a blast!! You deserve it!!

"Never look back. If Cinderella went back to pick up her shoe, she wouldn't have become a princess."
ariamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
while you are there the flower/garden will be going on at Epcot
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/guide...wer-garden.htm

sorry about your marriage ending - that would hurt
I agree sorry about you marriage..On the other hand, FLOWER AND garden will give you an oppty to linger and look.. stop at the concerts, look for hidden Mickeys, have a BIG sundae at Beaches and Cream or Ghiradelli's ( DTD), Take pictures, talk to everyone, play the Soccer of the Magic Kingdom game for hours on end..have a Dole whip in MK and Dole Rum in Epcot, eat at Jiko, take it slow and enjoy each moment..

I found that after my solo trips I needed some time off and alone when I am with others.. i listen to the music, enjoy the street acts, watch the Dapper Dans..just soak in the magic..

geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
ludari
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear about your marriage but consider this a new chapter in your life. A time to spend on yourself and getting in touch yourself again. That being said I have never stayed at CBR some of my favorite places to stay are Beach Club, Boardwalk and Bay Lake Tower just because of their proximity to the parks. I think the Flower and Garden exhibit at Epcot is a wonderful idea. Sleep in, stay up late, eat wherever and whatever you want, take pictures with the characters and just be thankful for what you have and absorb the magic of WDW so you have enough to take home with you.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
villavic
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLand View Post
Is CBR a good place to stay for singles and what should be my room request be for the best quiet ambience? I am going March 4-9. Thanks!
I was in CBR with my father in dec.2009. Can't remember the zone but my room didn't face the lagoon nor any pool, just gardens. And it was very very quiet, peaceful.

I've been alone in WDW and really enjoy it, as much as in couple, a friend or in a group. Going alone gives you a lot of independence and you can schedule and re-schedule as yo want. The only complication I find is to ask somebody to take you the picture, not big deal of course.

ps: I'm a 46yo male.
villavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
JackieLand
Seasoned Disney Fan

Thanks for all your wonderful replies. I think it will be a little hard to get use to at first since my ex and I are/were mousejunkies! I guess that is why I at least want to stay some place new to me. I also thought about CSR but I think it is a little more than CBR. I don't mind walking since I am in good shape. Looking forward to meeting new people. Do you all of have any places you recommend on the boardwalk or Epcot that would be good place to meet people and just celebrate? Maybe the Pub in England? Never did the single rider lines before so I am looking forward to it. I guess fast pass management may be a little different. Not too worried about taking many pictures since I am keeping this trip a secret from everyone but my mother. My son (he is 12) would be a little bent with me for not taking him, but I just need to find my feet having adventures alone.

Last edited by JackieLand; 02-27-2013 at 11:12 PM.
JackieLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #8
JackieLand
Seasoned Disney Fan

One more question?

There is still availability for POP resort for almost $300 cheaper, but not sure the ambiance would be good. Used to POR. But they do have King beds. Should I change and save the money? I don't know since I have never been to CBR. I think I will spend a little time at the resort but really not sure, it may be a little lonely.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:59 AM   #9
catra121
DIS Veteran

I guess I would say it depends. Do you think you are more likely to spend time chilling by the pool/hot tub and walking around the resort...or could you have more fun with an extra $300 to burn? For me...it's the latter and is why I am staying at Pop for my first solo trip in April. BUT...if you plan to spend more time in the room, at the pool, or using a hot tub then maybe the first option is better for you. I really do love walking around the lake at Pop and am looking forward to checking out AoA at some point during my stay. But I am also looking forward to some splurge shopping since I will be by myself so the extra money definitely sounds good to me.

Stayed at: AOA Lion King Suite, Bonnet Creek , POP Century, Coronado Springs Resort, Port Orleans Riverside, and The Dolphin (when I was really young)

Next Stay: Caribbean Beach Resort September 2014
catra121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
JackieLand
Seasoned Disney Fan

I have never been to either resort and I am not sure how I will feel at either one. I did not know there was a nice lake at pop. Hmmm. I just want a place with nice surroundings as I come and go plus keep the cost down. When I use to go as a couple I hardly spent much time at the resort
Old 03-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
catra121
DIS Veteran

In that case...I would choose Pop. It was a very nice resort in my opinion. Bus service was excellent...I loved that there were lines for each location (though this is just a personal preference). The theme was fun and I enjoyed the late night walks around the resort. I requested a lake side room and we got that on the first floor...it was very quiet.

I don't think you can go wrong with either option though...so no worries. You're going to have an amazing time no matter where you stay...you'll be in Disney World! Have fun.

Stayed at: AOA Lion King Suite, Bonnet Creek , POP Century, Coronado Springs Resort, Port Orleans Riverside, and The Dolphin (when I was really young)

Next Stay: Caribbean Beach Resort September 2014
catra121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

LOVE POP!

first -at Pop either get up early to eat breakfast or eat in the parks. the food court can get bad for breakfast.

definitely walk around the place - it has so many cute things to do, see and read.

be sure you go visit the gift shop - it is part of the food court - and it has some stuff have not seem in the other resorts.

if not for DVC - would be staying in Pop on all my trips.

would go for building 3 - tramp - standard room - facing the lake.

you can see the Epcot fireworks from here like CBR

here is a map
http://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/PopCenturyMap.pdf

here a walking tour of Pop
http://www.mousesteps.com/index.php?...d=57&Itemid=95

click on the read more at the bottom (2012 and 2007)

Last edited by spiceycat; 03-01-2013 at 03:16 PM.
spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
lulubel88
Mouseketeer

I've booked my 3rd solo stay at Pop for April. WL would be my first choice all the time but Pop has perfect for me. I've stayed in the 70s and 90s buildings which are a quick walk across the parking lot to the bus stop and food court. Never stayed in a king room but having the extra bed was good to throw purchases when coming back to the room. If you're looking to save some money definitely consider the resort change.
lulubel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
jagfanjosh3252
#1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulubel88
I've booked my 3rd solo stay at Pop for April. WL would be my first choice all the time but Pop has perfect for me. I've stayed in the 70s and 90s buildings which are a quick walk across the parking lot to the bus stop and food court. Never stayed in a king room but having the extra bed was good to throw purchases when coming back to the room. If you're looking to save some money definitely consider the resort change.
When in April?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #15
lulubel88
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagfanjosh3252 View Post
When in April?
It'll be the week of the 21st. My first time for the Flower and Garden Festival.
lulubel88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: