Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #16
Dorisk3
DIS Veteran

I hate to say this, but Keurigs are garbage. We went through 4 in one year, always sent by the company. We did the descaling, the pin silliness their customer service will tell you about. Bottom line, the machine is just not well made, particularly for its high price point. It actually amazes me that they are still in business.

Our family
Dorisk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #17
pooh4evr
Mouseketeer
In STL we drink soda and eat barbecue, use realators, eat sherbert, and drive on rout farty far

We have had ours for just over a year, never a problem. I did find a video on pinterest about how to take it apart and clean it , have done it once, but other than that it gets used about once a day, usually for hot chocolate, tea or cafe mocha.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #18
robsmom
loved it so much we might go back

I love my keurig and just got a second one for upstairs. Have had the first one for 3-4 years. I use a Britta pitcher to fill the container so the water is filtered first. I also have the keurig filter add-on that I change periodically (not as often as I am suppossed to). Finally, I flush the machine with white vinegar and clean all the parts I can about twice a year. This seems to be working.
Wilderness Lodge 7/05
Vistana 6/07
DCL 8/07
DCL, Wilderness Lodge, AKL 11/08
Yacht Club 11/09
robsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #19
LoveBWVVBR
DIS Veteran

Well, ours quit on us and Keurig replaced it. They told us to throw the old one away, so we did what pretty much any other engineers would do and we took the thing apart before discarding it We were both somewhat surprised by the "guts". IMHO Keurig needs to design these such that the case can be removed and then put back on without destroying the appearance of the machine. There are a bunch of different ways that these machines can fail, and yet there is no way to access what should be an easy repair. The insides are not as robust as I would have guessed, and I can see why so many fail and are then just tossed into a landfill. I can also see why so many leak. That said, I still have one lol.
LoveBWVVBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #20
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judique View Post
I've had the Keurig platinum for 2 years plus now.

It is used once a day.

It has never been descaled.

I use regular tap water.

So far - no problems.

Now - watch it stop working after I post this.

I also have Tassimo which I don't use regularly. (I used it for 2 years before the Keurig so it is 4 years old.) I use it maybe once a week to make a latte or espresso or something special.

It's probably your water - with maybe a high mineral content. Buildup of minerals will kill many types of coffee makers.
Same here...mine works great and I almost never clean it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorisk3 View Post
I hate to say this, but Keurigs are garbage. We went through 4 in one year, always sent by the company. We did the descaling, the pin silliness their customer service will tell you about. Bottom line, the machine is just not well made, particularly for its high price point. It actually amazes me that they are still in business.
Lol, I've had the same one for 4 years, works great, use it every day and hardly ever clean it. Not sure why yours didn't hold up.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #21
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorisk3 View Post
Because when they work, they are great, and when they don't, they get replaced. Our first one quit after about 9 months, they just sent us a new one, and it's been great for the past 3 years or so. It this one goes, I'd get another in a heartbeat.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #22
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjw View Post
Thanks all - I do use filtered water with the Keurig. My refrigerator makes filtered water - I guess that counts? Maybe I will just run some water thru it on the days that I don't use it for coffee.
Some water, like we have where I live, is so full of minerals that even filtering doesn't get it all out. I only use bottled water with my Keurig.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #23
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

I'll agree that Keurigs are poorly made, and frequently fail, but their customer service is second to none. Call the company and they'll replace it, no receipt needed, and basically no questions asked. There is no way I would still own one if their customer service wasn't so great, but I do feel bad about the two Keurigs that ended up in a landfill.
CandleontheWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #24
poohguys
DIS Veteran

We have them at work and when the water starts coming out slow we just poke a paper clip in the hole where the water comes out to clean out the clogged coffee grounds.

Off Site '74
Husband too many times to remember starting in 1979
Poly '90
Dixie Landings '95
SOG '96 (honeymoon trip 15 wonderful days!)
Dixie (POR)'97
Dixie (POR) 2003 (First trip for our son)
Dixie (POR)Oct 2005
Dixie (POR) August 2006
Dixie (POR) August 2007
Dixie (POR) August 2012

poohguys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: