Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
100AcreWood
DIS Veteran

How to use ebags packing cubes

I have been a ziploc bag packer for years after reading that tip on the disboards. I recently heard about ebags packing cubes. How do you use them and do they really maximize your luggage? We always drive to Orlando so my dh would love for me to decrease the number of suitcases we bring for the 5 of us.
2012 Windsor Hills 2011 Buena Vista Suites
2010 Doubletree DTD, then CSR
2008 Doubletree DTD 2006 Doubletree DTD
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2005 Doubletree DTD 2005 Swan 2001 Dolphin
2000 All Star Movies 1999 Carribean Beach
100AcreWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
::danielle::
Mouseketeer

I am a former ziplock bag, now packing cube user. The overall concept is the same but they work a little different. Packing cubes are sized to fit perfectly in a carry on or in a regular suitcase. They all work together to fit, even the toiletry bag.

I started making the switch when DS's clothes became too big to fit into the 2 gallon bags.

With ziplock's I would but an entire outfit in one bag. Packing cubes are bigger and hold more so that doesn't work as well. Now I organize differently. I either put all of our daily outfits together into one cube, or all of the bottoms in one cube, etc. I sort all the other things into their own cube as well (technology cords, socks, belts, etc). The best thing about using cubes is that you suitcase doesn't become a jumbled mess when you go searching for one thing.

The downside is that packing cubes are a bit of an upfront investment.

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever." ~Walt Disney.

Disneyland 2009 (Candy Cane Inn)

Disney World March 2-11 2012 (POP, WBC, POR split stay)

Disney World Dec 14-21 (BLT)
::danielle:: is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
::danielle::
Mouseketeer

I forgot to mention that they will make your packing more space efficient but I'm not sure that it's going to eliminate an entire suitcase unless you're a particularly inefficient packer (I.e. - not packing to maximize space use, just tossing things into bags).

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever." ~Walt Disney.

Disneyland 2009 (Candy Cane Inn)

Disney World March 2-11 2012 (POP, WBC, POR split stay)

Disney World Dec 14-21 (BLT)
::danielle:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100AcreWood View Post
I have been a ziploc bag packer for years after reading that tip on the disboards. I recently heard about ebags packing cubes. How do you use them and do they really maximize your luggage? We always drive to Orlando so my dh would love for me to decrease the number of suitcases we bring for the 5 of us.
They're not going to reduce the number of bags that you take. Packing cubes are not like those Spacesaver bags that you suck every bit of air out and compress the clothing to the size of a golf ball. They organize your packing and keep the packed items from shifting during transport.

Like danielle said, they fit together in your bag, sort of like a puzzle, and the utilize the space to the best advantage. There are a lot of packing methods that will allow you to get more into a suitcase than using the packing cubes will. But, the packing cubes make it easier to remove a few items without having to totally unpack. And that can be a big advantage if you are staying at more than one hotel during your trip.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran

I am a bigger fan of packing folders and mesh bags than packing cubes. I find the packing folders keep things neater than cubes. They work well for packing a complete change of clothes for several people.

For bigger items, I feel like I have to torture them to get them to fall into a packing cube.

I use the mesh bags meant to wash your delicates to collect like items, such as socks, etc. I buy them at the Dollar store. -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

We prefer to roll the clothes. We use 2 gallon Ziploc bags for socks, underwear and bras. Nothing shifts and it is easy to remove items.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO View Post
I am a bigger fan of packing folders and mesh bags than packing cubes. I find the packing folders keep things neater than cubes. They work well for packing a complete change of clothes for several people.

For bigger items, I feel like I have to torture them to get them to fall into a packing cube.

I use the mesh bags meant to wash your delicates to collect like items, such as socks, etc. I buy them at the Dollar store. -- Suzanne
I can see what you mean. My suitcases (even the weekender) are "suiters", meaning that they have a built-in garment bag in the upper part of the bag. Anything too big to fit into the large packing cubes ends up being hung in the garment bag section. The packing cubes work best for underwear, socks, t-shirts, shorts, capris, jeans, sweaters, sweatshirts and accessories.

I'm going to have to take a look at the packing folders. Are they on ebags, too or did you find them someplace else?

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
taymaesmom
DIS Veteran

I just recently traveled with both packing cubes and a packit folder. I was able to use one less large rolling duffel bag! I have 6 cubes and 1 folder. I love the cubes because I was able to pack most of our clothes directly into them and then slide them empty spaces in my luggage. But I found the folder to be the best purchase. I am a plus sized gal and my clothes take up the most space, usually a whole large rolling duffel on my own just for clothes! So this time I was able to get 8 shirts, 3 tank tops, and 2 hoodies into one folder and it took up less space than the 2 hoodies would have in my luggage plus they were alot less wrinkled!

Here's a link to the folder
http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Tr...=packit+folder
Old 02-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
tzeitel
Toadi Acceleratio Semper Absurda

I have one big and one little cube for each of us. In the big ones I can put DD's outfits then use a small one for her undies, socks, swimsuit and accessories. DH gets his shirts, swimsuit and pajamas into a big one (his cargo shorts are too bulky) and "delicates" in the small. I can fit my outfits (except jeans or other bulky items) into a big one and then use the smaller one like DD.

Then I have a couple of small ones for chargers, meds and anything else that might get lost in the suitcase (unless I put them in a cube or ziplock). Our closest airport is 2 hours away and we usually have early flights so I pack a big cube with everything we might need at the hotel near the airport. It is awesome since that is all I need to take out of the car.

It is also handy when flying, if your suitcase ends up being overweight () - just take a cube out!

I don't have the eBags cubes, I bought the Rick Steve's mesh ones a long time ago and they are still going strong
tzeitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
MommaluvsDis
DIS Veteran

I use the clear heavy plastic zippered bags that sheets, drapes etc come in. Work great and you get them for free.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: