Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #31
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Coronado Theme Night

Chicken Fajitas/Tacos can't remember which it was...served with margarita
JessicaKnits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #32
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Hercules Theme Night

Place Settings and food (purchased from a local gyro shop)

Gyro Meat (It was supposed to serve four, it served us for about a week)

Lettuce, onions, tomatoes, cilantro and tzatziki

Pita

Baklava
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #33
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Ratatouille/Chefs de France Theme Night

Crepes filled with mushroom and swiss w/ hollondaise sauce

Crepe with Nutella, bananas and strawberries

Apple crepes with homemade caramel sauce

French onion soup...not my finest hour
Old 02-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #34
MissSabrinaLee
Earning My Ears

It's really cool to see the "grown up" side of Disney Movie Nights!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #35
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSabrinaLee View Post
It's really cool to see the "grown up" side of Disney Movie Nights!
Thank you! That's SO what I'm going for! I mean, I love kids, don't get me wrong, but grown-ups can have theme nights too!!
Old 03-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #36
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

We Have A Plan!

Trust us! Don't worry! We HAVE a plan!

No, really, this time we do!

There comes a time in every trip report, where all the little thoughts and ideas you have been envisioning in your mind finally start to take shape and look like a real trip. This morning was that morning!

So when we last left off, we were tossing up multiple resort ideas and configurations of travel plans, dining plans, etc.

I am quite pleased to report that all of that has been resolved, including a date change.

So, originally we had planned to go September 21st-29th. I immediately started stressing out when I realized that our ADR window opened up on the last morning of my upcoming trip to New York. I had vowed (many times) that I was going to go laptop-less on this trip. Not wanting to get up at the crack of dawn and make ADRs by phone, we decided to push our trip back by one week. So with a quick dusting of Disney's pixie dust, we were easily able to change our reservation dates to be September 28th - October 6th, which is a great thing as it will maximize our Food & Wine festival time!

Airfare continues to be a bit of a pain point for us. I really am not a fan of the flight times out of Green Bay. I REALLY hate them. Flying out of Green Bay is a significantly cheaper option, but the flights don't arrive until 9PM and leave at 7 AM, essentially wasting two days of vacation. On the other hand, flying out of O'hare offers much better (and of course significantly more expensive) flight times. Not to mention flying out of O'hare for us is quite the production. There is the 3 hour drive (each way) and the added cost of having to park your car somewhere while you're gone. It makes no sense to me of course, since flying out of Green Bay, we have no choice but to connect through O'hare. You would think that a shorter flight = a lower price. You would think wrong. So, we're going to table the airfare for a while.

So, where or where have we decided to stay...?

After MUCH deliberation...seriously there were pie charts, graphs, pros and cons list. Ok, not really, just a lengthy pros v. cons list. We finally settled on...

Of course, as always, subject to change. There still aren't any fall discounts out yet (seriously, WHAT are they waiting for?), and if my bank account can swing it, I wouldn't mind upgrading to either the Contemporary (hands down my dream resort) or any of the Boardwalk area resorts for easy access to Epcot.

We are booked in a...

Little Mermaid room. Little Mermaid holds a special place in both mine and Megan's hearts, as it is the very first Disney movie either of us has a clear memory of watching.

In case you are wondering, Bambi was the 2nd one that I remember. My Dad is an avid deer hunter, and I remember tearfully asking my dad if he was going to kill Bambi's mom. He responded that of course he wasn't. He was after Bambi's Dad. Nice, Dad.

We are sticking with the deluxe dining plan, and I feel that this may be the very first time ever, that I use all my snack credits up, without having to use them to buy fudge to give as gifts for everyone on the last morning. Food & Wine booths, look out! We're headed for ya.

With the added savings by staying at a value resort, we are pretty sure that we are going to rent a car while we are there. My very first trip, we stayed at Pop Century and thought their buses were positively fantastic. Second trip at Coronado, was absolutely horrendous as far as buses were concerned. We have decided that we will take the Magical Express to the hotel, because I think that riding the Magical Express and seeing the movie is THE ONLY way to kick off a trip. We will most likely reserve through the WDW Car Care Center (National or Alamo) since they have a shuttle that will pick you up from any WDW resort.

Now that we have dates and a resort, we can FINALLY start laying our ADR and touring plans frame work!!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #37
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Oh my gosh I haven't been following up on this forever! I didn't even realize you got rid of your other PTR.

I absolutely love your movie theme nights. You must be an amazing cook because all of that food looks so good and is so clever!

You will love AoA. Although I have heard that the LM rooms aren't going to be part of the fall discounts.

I need to make sure to subscribe to this as I have always loved your Food reports and was following along to your other PTR.

You can fly out of Minneapolis and park your car at our apartment. Lol we only live about 15 min from the airport.

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #38
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Hi Jessica!
We're going to get along great. 1st my daughter is named Jessica. 2nd I live in NY (just outside NYC but I work in the Bronx). 3rd my youngest child is obsessed with Ariel. He wants to marry her!

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #39
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
Oh my gosh I haven't been following up on this forever! I didn't even realize you got rid of your other PTR.

I absolutely love your movie theme nights. You must be an amazing cook because all of that food looks so good and is so clever!

You will love AoA. Although I have heard that the LM rooms aren't going to be part of the fall discounts.

I need to make sure to subscribe to this as I have always loved your Food reports and was following along to your other PTR.

You can fly out of Minneapolis and park your car at our apartment. Lol we only live about 15 min from the airport.
Hey Rachel! So glad you stopped over, I have been catching up on your trip reports!

I am really working on starting a theme night blog! I have this whole week off work so it sounds like a good time to get started! My problem is that a lot of "recipes" I have are just in my head, so trying to organize and put them all on paper has been really challenging.

You are so sweet to offer to let us park by you guys! Unfortunately MSP is about an extra hour and a half further than Chicago is from us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
Hi Jessica!
We're going to get along great. 1st my daughter is named Jessica. 2nd I live in NY (just outside NYC but I work in the Bronx). 3rd my youngest child is obsessed with Ariel. He wants to marry her!

Amanda
Yay! I love New Yorkers! How's the weather by you guys? I heard it snowed a little yesterday. I'm hoping that it warms up soon since I will be there this Friday for a long weekend!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #40
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

We had a dusting of snow. It's cold today!!!!

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR
Disney Dream
Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #41
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We had a dusting of snow. It's cold today!!!!

Amanda
Booooo! I don't know about you guys, but I am so. sick. of. snow. We got another 2ish inches today which is currently blowing and whipping about. It's very depressing, and as a result I got very little on my "to do" list done today.

I was just in the city in January and when I arrived it was almost 50, I felt like I was in heaven. We were going to a Knicks game at The Garden, which was only about 10 short blocks from my hotel. It was so lovely out that I wanted to walk, everyone else did not share my enthusiasm. Then by Tuesday when I left it was about 19 with the wind blowing. I'm hoping for a pleasant weekend, although the cute sun dresses I bought for this trip will need to wait until next time I guess.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #42
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Airfare Issues Resolved

Today it was snowing in Green Bay. Again. Color me not surprised. Hello, mother nature. If you're out there, I would like spring. Now. Please!

Since it was a relatively crummy day, I got very little done on my errands list for New York, and instead spent majority of the morning sipping on some coffee with a little Rum Chata in it and playing the airfare puzzle game. Because that is socially acceptable when you are on vacation.

We are sort of held hostage to United with our tickets, since they were already booked for our original April trip before work changed our plans. I was willing to scrap United all together in the event that other airlines had either a) much better flight times OR b) much lower fares. They didn't.

Our original dates were a Saturday thru the following Sunday. United's lowest airfare (by about $100) was for a flight arriving late on Saturday night and leaving at Zero Dark Thirty on Sunday morning. Thus wasting two precious vacation days that we could be spending in the fun & sun.

"No problem!" I thought. We will take the identical flights on Friday and Monday instead, thus not wasting any precious vacation hours (or as I look at it, hours that you PAY to be in Disney). We will just do a room-only reservation on Friday and Sunday nights. Sure, it would mean about an extra eight hours of vacation time, but since my company gives me six weeks a year, I somehow never have a problem of running out of vacation time.

So, feeling quite pleased with my new idea, I run the search query on United's website, only to find out that those exact same flights are the MOST expensive flights on Friday and Monday. Really? Clearly the universe and I are not on speaking terms today. We're totally and completely in a fight.

To make a long ramble somewhat more condensed, we ended up doing what I didn't want to end up doing, which is fly out of Chicago. We were able to get a 630 am flight arriving into Orlando at around 1030am, and then leaving about 5 pm on Sunday. It cost about $50 more for the airfare out of O'hare than it would have out of Green Bay (a concept still completely lost on me) and we will need to do a park n' fly somewhere near O'hare, BUT at least we aren't going to waste Disney time!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #43
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Day Zero Plans!

So, before every trip starts, there must always be a day zero. You know, the day where your journey to Disney finallly begins, but you don't really actually do anything Disney related.

Thus begins our plans for Day Zero!

Our Day Zero will be Friday, September 27th. Megan and I will both work the whole day (boo!). I work in Green Bay and Megan works in Appleton, a suburb about 30 miles south of Green Bay. I will leave the office (hopefully no later than 4:30 PM and will head south to my house, which is about 15 minutes outside Green Bay. I will grab my suitcase and carry-on. I would like to say that I will be responsible and be completely packed before I leave for work on Friday. But I know me better. I will frantically scurry around the house for an undetermined, but hopefully brief, amount of time until I feel I have sufficiently crammed everything I could potentially need into my luggage. Then I will hit the road, and meet up with Megan in Appleton, since its on the way. We haven't decided who will drive the whole way to Chicago yet. We usually try to trade off driving long trips, so it will depend on how many mini-vacations we take between now and them.

Right now, our tentative plans include the following.

Stop for dinner at Joe's Crab Shack in Gurnee, if time allows. If we are running short on time, we will stop for some fast food at one of the Oasis' along the highway.

The following is subject to change, but has always been a trustworthy plan for me on trips out of Chicago.

Once we get close to the airport, we will drop off our vehicle at...

The always faithful and trustworthy Pride Parking. $7.50 a day for airport parkng (even less if you pay cash!). I love Pride, have used them for many many years (7 in total!) and they are always excellent. You drop the car off, they shuttle you over to the terminal and then they bring you back when you return.

They will then drop us off to our destination for the evening:

The Hilton Chicago O'hare. Last time I stayed here we had some bad luck with our room location (low floor, overlooking the runway, and next to the vending machines and elevator). We didn't get a great nights sleep, but having stayed many times in the past, I know this was just a fluke. For the convenience of being able to walk across the street in the morning to the terminal, it can't be beat!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #44
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Glad you figured out airfare!
We got more snow overnight, too. Blech.

Amanda

Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR
Disney Dream
Old 03-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #45
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Glad you figured out airfare!
We got more snow overnight, too. Blech.

Amanda
Uh! Bummer! Looks like 50s ish for the weekend, with no snow! Here's to hoping that ends up being true!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: