Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #76
smidgy
dimples

anyone else remeber the Brady Bunch episode where Peter is snooping on everyone. the other kids decide to teach him a lesson and make sure he overheard them that there was to be a big surprise party for him.

the parents thought the lesson was mean, so they surprised the other kids by realy having a surprise party.

boy am I showing my age!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #77
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

I had a 8th grade graduation. My son had a kindergarten graduation. One was on the west coast and one was in the Midwest.

The teachers were bullies. They became that when they shared it was another class so that class could laugh too. Zero tolerance should apply to teachers too.

The teachers were cruel. It was not a zoo trip but rather they taunted with a trip that is usually a child's dream trip, a once in a lifetime vacation for many.

We are fighting in my area against this method of punishing the whole class because of one bad student. Good students learn that being good means nothing and that they will still get in trouble and the trouble making student doesn't care or worse doesn't change. This way of reprimanding for unwanted behavior doesn't work with adults either.

The group of them needs to take a ethics refresher course or two. Ask themselves "if this was reported in the Sunday paper would it still be a good idea??".

It is disgusting to play with someone's emotions to prove or make a point.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 1/9-1/15/15 Disney Wonder.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11)
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #78
mommyoftwo85
Mouseketeer

This story is so sad . I hope some how, some way those kids get to go to disney
mommyoftwo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #79
ConvenientTruth
Mouseketeer

Why is everyone so mad....I hear the Windsor Bowling Ally is Pretty sweet...
Old 05-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #80
hawkeyesparks
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
I'm not sure which is worse--lying to 8th graders that they're going to Disney World or telling them they're "graduating".
2011: Boardwalk Villas
2013: Boardwalk Villas
2014: WL
hawkeyesparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #81
Cynt
DIS Veteran

IT WAS A JOKE! And I hate to say it but kids pull worse jokes on each other.

I could see if they built the trip up over two or three weeks or days and they started collecting deposits and sent the info home. However it was in one setting probably w/in 30-60 minutes and it was over. Kids now a days are just drama kings and queens.

I'm sure the 80-20 rule applies to this. 80% of the kids probably never believed it anyway and shrugged it off and walked out cracking up. While the other 20% went crying home to mom and dad w/ disappointment. Instead of mom and dad shrugging it off and telling the kids it's no big deal, get over it, they made it a big deal and kept feeding into the kids disappointment. My dad would have said girl you know the school can't afford to pay for that. Use your brain and think thru what they're saying - if it sounds to good to be true then it probably isn't true.
April 2011 - POP - Girl's Getway
May 2013 - WBC - FAMILY TRIP!!
Cynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #82
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

This reminds me of "Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy" from Saturday Night Live.

"One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh no,' I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' "He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. 'I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late."
Reddog1134 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #83
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
This reminds me of "Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy" from Saturday Night Live.

"One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh no,' I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' "He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. 'I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late."
Old 05-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #84
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinormal View Post
I hate jokes that are based on laughing at someone for having a normal reaction to a situation. It's cruel and makes no sense.
Bingo! I totally agree.

An appropriate "teachable moment" in the case of the one student who peeked at the teacher's desk would have been to pull that one student aside and explain that that is not appropriate behavior. If that student spread rumors based on misinformation from peeking, then stop the rumors with an announcement. There was no need to pull this stunt on other students who did nothing wrong.

Getting the kids worked up with a slide show about going to WDW (saying the flights were "super-cheap" perpetuated the prank when one of the students expressed skepticism) and then pulling the rug out from under them is cruel, IMO.

I have a girl getting ready to enter 8th grade in the fall. She and her peers may act "too cool for school" and dismissively talk about how they're not interested in WDW, but she's pretty gleeful about our upcoming trip in the fall. I can't imagine how hurt those kids must have been.

Any teacher in on this prank should be fired, IMO. Not only was this single act cruel, but I wouldn't trust my kids to be under their care each day from here on. If you can't trust a teacher's judgment in such a simple matter as this, it's hard to imagine trusting that teacher in other situations. I wouldn't be all that happy with the principal either, if my kids were going to that school. Sure, the principal can't stop their teachers from doing a single stupid thing, but I'd be curious as to how much other garbage goes on with those teachers that the principal DID know about.

Unfortunately, all those students learned was how cruel and insensitive people they had trusted could be. Shame on those teachers who were in on the prank.

Editing to add: I was promised a car for my 16th birthday. I got a toy Porsche. I don't believe that was cruel in the way this prank was cruel because I had no reason to truly believe I was getting a car (my two older siblings also did not get cars on their 16th birthdays, we weren't exactly a rich family and I was 16 not 13-14), but lots of schools do take kids to Disney for year-end trips (though around here it's more likely to be a trip to King's Island). It was not unreasonable for those kids to get their hopes up, IMO.

Last edited by grimley1968; 05-15-2013 at 11:07 AM.
grimley1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #85
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

I am willing to bet the teachers involved were probably rather new.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #86
Maleficent Dragon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboo800 View Post
ha ha thats hilarious.wish I could have been a fly on the wall to see this

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Maybe you don't have a be a fly. Maybe somebody will play the same joke on you some day.

Maleficent Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #87
Maleficent Dragon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
anyone else remeber the Brady Bunch episode where Peter is snooping on everyone. the other kids decide to teach him a lesson and make sure he overheard them that there was to be a big surprise party for him.

the parents thought the lesson was mean, so they surprised the other kids by realy having a surprise party.

boy am I showing my age!
This episode was on a few weeks ago during a Brady Bunch marathon.

Maleficent Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #88
superdisneydork
Mouseketeer

I think this is hilarious.

It's a joke, I'm sure the kids are over it, except the ones being hyped up by over coddling parents. I would have thought this was hilarious if my teachers did it to me, and I would still be laughing about it a decade later. I am sure the kids got over this disappointment in the time it took to tweet it to everyone, and I'm sure many of them are never going to forgot the time their teachers pranked them.

I mean, really, it's not cruel, they didn't tell them something horrible, they didn't scare them, they teased them, and I think this whole thing is getting blown wildly out of proportion. My teachers had done much worse to us in the past, and we were no angels in return!

This is the same generation that is taught they need to have their cell phone on 24/7 in case of emergencies, that can't watch violent cartoons or ever say anything that might offend someone somewhere. Every little thing is celebrated and every little disappointment is cushioned, which is why, shockingly enough, kids take these things hard at all. It's silly.

When I was going in to 7th grade my parents surprised me with a trip to Disney World, only they hid the envelope with the tickets well out of my reach and told me I couldn't go because I wasn't tall enough to get it. Took hours before I finally managed to clamber up enough pieces of furniture to reach it, and they cracked up. Was it embarrassing? Yeah a little. Did I really care? Nope, I laughed, and I laughed about it when telling my younger cousins the story last week, and I'll laugh about it again later. It's fun, when did everyone get to be so afraid of fun?

People need to be cry less and laugh more in general.

Matt
superdisneydork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #89
kymom99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynt View Post
IT WAS A JOKE! And I hate to say it but kids pull worse jokes on each other.

I could see if they built the trip up over two or three weeks or days and they started collecting deposits and sent the info home. However it was in one setting probably w/in 30-60 minutes and it was over. Kids now a days are just drama kings and queens.

I'm sure the 80-20 rule applies to this. 80% of the kids probably never believed it anyway and shrugged it off and walked out cracking up. While the other 20% went crying home to mom and dad w/ disappointment. Instead of mom and dad shrugging it off and telling the kids it's no big deal, get over it, they made it a big deal and kept feeding into the kids disappointment. My dad would have said girl you know the school can't afford to pay for that. Use your brain and think thru what they're saying - if it sounds to good to be true then it probably isn't true.
Schools don't pay for field trips, parents do. At least that is the case where I come from. My son is going on a pretty nice trip this week with his 8th grade class. they raised all the money themselves and had some left over. Had they come up short, the parents would have paid the difference.

Also, I have to throw this in: my son graduates from 8th grade in 2 weeks. He has received a scholarship to help pay for high school. He had to take an entrance exam as well as a test to get into honors algebra. The transition from a K-8 catholic school to high school is a VERY big deal. No reason why it should not be celebrated as such.
June 2008: POFQ
June 2009: Cape Cod
June 2010: CBR The whole gang!
July 2011: Holiday World
July 2012: 1st trip to Disneyland!
June 2013: Siesta Key and RCCL Bahamas
June 2014: Pittsburgh, PA
kymom99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #90
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Does anybody seriously think that the fact that it was a joke somehow magically makes any behavior OK?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: