Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #31
MamaTTx2
can't freakin wait!!!!!

This makes me sick. How could trained and educated adults do this? And I don't understand how it went so far without even one of these teachers speaking up and saying 'maybe we should stop'.

June, 2013- Hub's work conference in Orlando-- we'll be scoping things out for our family trip in 4 months!
October, 2013- Art of Animation Nemo suite! First time to Disney for Big Daddy, Bubby, & Kakey!!
MamaTTx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #32
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

I think the teachers should get together and raise money to really take these kids to Disney. Either that or the parents. These kids deserve a trip.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #34
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

It is classless with a capital K. The very definition of bullying. This goes far beyond an error in judgement. This was just.....ugh, disgusting.

ThreeBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #35
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

This makes me so sad for those kids. I know that I would have been crushed. So awful and insensitive of those "teachers". How could they think that was appropriate or funny?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #36
Lizard Valley
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) I, also, agree with mesaboy2 that 8th Grade is not a graduation.
. . . Webster disagrees with your above definition
. . . Webster's says it is "the award or acceptance of an academic degree or diploma"
2) It is almost as bad as graduating from Kindergarten to 1st Grade!
3) As for a joke, then this would follow the Graduation theory "to a Tee".
4) The 8th Graders have learned a valuable lesson and had an experience.
I was born, raised, and educated in Windsor Ontario where this happened. I can tell you for a fact that grade 8 graduation is a big deal back home. We do kindergarten to grade 8 in one school, then graduate to high school for grades 9-12.

I've been invited back for my best friend's daughter's grade 8 graduation in June. She has already bought her fancy dress, and they'll have a ceremony and a dance afterwards. I will drive the 1000km to be there.

I'm happy she wasn't in that grade 8 class...that's just devastating to a 13 yr old kid.

If only someone would offer their class an actual trip to Disney...and not invite the teachers!
Lizard Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #37
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliezer View Post
I think the teachers should get together and raise money to really take these kids to Disney. Either that or the parents. These kids deserve a trip.
I don't think the parents should have to pay a dime for what the teachers did.

I could see Disney stepping up to do something...but if they did that the teachers would probably take credit for it as well.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #38
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I cannot fathom how people who are in positions of trust such as these teachers could have done such a cruel and heartless thing. I very much hope that they are suspended or fired for these actions.

I assume that the States are similar to Canada in that every teacher has to be licensed. I would think disciplinary reviews by their State boards would be in order. As for the student teachers- this would be the definition of an epic FAIL. Time to head for the career counsellor's office for plan B.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #39
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

I won't condone what these teachers did by any means.

But when I was in 10th grade (several decades ago, I'll add), my English Literature teacher simulated (fake radio announcement and all) the start of a global thermonuclear war. We had just finished reading Alas Babylon. I have never been the same since.

Oddly enough, the teacher was one of all-time favorite (non-music) teachers.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #40
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTTx2 View Post
This makes me sick. How could trained and educated adults do this? And I don't understand how it went so far without even one of these teachers speaking up and saying 'maybe we should stop'.
Pack mentality.

This is really sick and twisted. It reminds me of those parents that wrap Christmas gifts (and I use the term loosely) in the boxes of video game systems then post the videos on You Tube.

One mother was laughing hysterically while her son was crying and devastated. Not funny. And neither is this "prank."
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #41
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Wouldn't it be funny if the teachers had to pay to send all these kids to WDW? Maybe the school board pays and then docks the teachers pay checks for the next couple of years? It would never happen of course but it would be just.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #42
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Wow. That's just awful. And these are the people with these kids day in and day out. I'd have to question their ethics as educators if what they find funny is humiliating and disappointing a bunch of kids. I don't see how the teachers thought it was a good idea to begin with, let alone how they kept going with it
pigletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #43
ajasmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliezer View Post
I totally agree. They should be suspended and required to put money aside into a trip fund for the students. If students acted this way they would be suspended.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1452684

SSR 1/2013, 12/2013
Caribbean Beach 11/2007; 12/2010
Contemporary 12/2004
ajasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #44
andyman8
DIS Veteran

In my eyes, either those teachers get the funds together (dock it from their paychecks at the very least) to take the kids to WDW or they should be fired, because that is a completely senseless and cruel act that goes well beyond the "prank" status (and I'm fairly lenient in my differentiation between humor and bullying).

It's a shame though that only the stories about "cruel" teacher get attention. There's so many great teachers in our country, and I'd love to see at least some of them be given recognition for the job that they do.

Walt Disney World Resort

March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop, AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort
October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)
Disneyland Resort
August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)
Upcoming
Walt Disney World June 2014 (GF for 5 Nights/5 Days)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #45
thornton0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
Wouldn't it be funny if the teachers had to pay to send all these kids to WDW? Maybe the school board pays and then docks the teachers pay checks for the next couple of years? It would never happen of course but it would be just.
I was just thinking this
thornton0511 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: