Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
Dawn557
Earning My Ears

DC wheelchair accessibility

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and love it as most of my questions have been answered by reading previous posts. We are planning on a trip to DC in November, but my brother is in a wheelchair (paraplegic). He is able to swim in my pool here at home. We plan on renting a beach wheelchair for the day, but are there ramps going down into the water areas or would we have to carry him down into the water (which I could not do myself and my parents are elderly)? If we could get the chair just in the water a little bit, he would just be able to get right into the water. I did call DC and she said the only ramp is at the dolphin lagoon. I just don't want to get there and him be disappointed that he is unable to do anything. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Dawn557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
Disneyqueendenmark
Mouseketeer

I really can't help much, but I thought I would share my expirience with the accessibility at DC - although your situation is a lot different from mine.
I went with my 81-year old grandmother, who is also in a wheelchair. Due to her age and health she did not want to swim... But she still had a wonderful time! And I thought the wheelchair was great! At first, it is hard to manage, but it works so great on the beaches! just be sure to call and reserve the chair. It is free, and they will have it ready when you arrive.
Generally it was pretty easy to get around with the chair. Have you seen a picture of it? It has massive wheels, which made it a little hard to fit it next to a table and getting thru the doors and into the birds. But it wasn't a big problem, and people are really helpful! And I don't think you can get around without it!
As said, my grandmother did not want to swim, so I don't know much about the ramps. But I am sure that I saw a wheelchair ramp by the waterfall and grotto - can't remember what that area is called!? I will see if I can find my DC map (there might also be some accessible logos on it!)

Hope you have a great time! :D for us, DC was one of our best days!!
Disneyland Resort - Christmas 2011
Walt Disney World AOA & FQ - January 2013
Upcoming Disneyland trip, Christmas 2014
Disneyqueendenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Disneyqueendenmark
Mouseketeer

- and welcome to DISboards! The people here are amazingly helpful! :D I've learned so, so much... The forum has really made my planning and trips a whole lot easier and better!
Disneyland Resort - Christmas 2011
Walt Disney World AOA & FQ - January 2013
Upcoming Disneyland trip, Christmas 2014
Disneyqueendenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
Dawn557
Earning My Ears

Thank you for your help. You are right, this forum does make planning trips much easier.
Dawn557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
mjohnson96
DIS Veteran

When I was there I noticed the chair lifts into some of the water areas and most the areas have zero entry as well so you should be able to wheel in, get out, wheel out

mjohnson96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: