DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
zgirlz
Earning My Ears

Purchasing resale with hold points

We are in the process of purchasing a resale contract that currently has 238 points for 2013 and an additional 222 hold points that need to be used in 2013, contract year is February. We are hoping to plan a large family trip for next January since we would have a total of 460 points to use by February. I realize that the February use year is not ideal in this case but we are trying to work with it. We are hoping to get 2 2 bedroom villas at the same resort, hoping for the lower point value rooms at Animal kingdom villas for a week. We plan to book one room at the 7 month mark, do you think we will have a problem getting a second 2 bedroom villa at the 60 day mark to use the hold points?
zgirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
Rob S.
DIS Veteran

Probably not for January since that is one of the "slower" months for DVC. I have no idea about the availability of value rooms though if that's what you are looking for. I would think that standard and savanna views would be available.
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

It is very unlikely that a value 2 bedroom will be available 60 days out. I know that is not what you were hoping to hear.

The value villas are all lock offs in Jambo and there aren't very many of them. Due to the lower point cost, they usually go before the 7 month window opens. If any remain, they go at that time.

Better plan on Savanna view, although it is possible that a standard view will be available.

Good luck!

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
zgirlz
Earning My Ears

Thank both of you for the input. We knew going in to this it might be a problem, but from all we have been reading on this site figured it would be workable. Hopefully soon to be dvc members!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
a742246
older than dirt

You would have better luck on getting a 2 bedroom villa at SSR in January with those holding points. Watchout for the Marathon weekend and MLK weekend, they can be soldout before the 60 days.
My advice book the 2 bedroom at Animal Kingdom at 7 months but tell everyone that you may have to switch to SSR in the future.

Last edited by a742246; 02-23-2013 at 07:09 AM.
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
zgirlz
Earning My Ears

So we hope we could probably get both rooms there?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
zgirlz
Earning My Ears

That didn't print right, we will have OKW, as our home resort, so we could probably book both room there one at 7months the other at 60 days. Being new to all of this just trying to get as much info as possible.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirlz View Post
We are in the process of purchasing a resale contract that currently has 238 points for 2013 and an additional 222 hold points that need to be used in 2013, contract year is February. We are hoping to plan a large family trip for next January since we would have a total of 460 points to use by February. I realize that the February use year is not ideal in this case but we are trying to work with it. We are hoping to get 2 2 bedroom villas at the same resort, hoping for the lower point value rooms at Animal kingdom villas for a week. We plan to book one room at the 7 month mark, do you think we will have a problem getting a second 2 bedroom villa at the 60 day mark to use the hold points?
You also might want to double check the status of those Holding Points anyway. If they must be used during the 2013 Use Year, it means they were from a reservation for this month (February, 2013) canceled within 30 days of arrival. If that is the case, they are likely banked points from the 2012 Use Year or points borrowed from the 2014 Use Year. The answer will not affect your ability and need to use them by 1/31/14, but it could affect the value of the contract if they were borrowed from 2014.

Yes, you can probably have success at OKW reserving for next January.

Good luck!
Old 02-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
zgirlz
Earning My Ears

Good point! We did go back and check, we do have a full points available starting Feb. 1, 2014. I really appreciate the people on this board for their willingness to help newbies like us, thank you!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: