Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #46
Danhockey04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewingedpixie View Post
When I say run thats partially where the shirts come in LOL. Mine will say "Coast to Coast to the Altar" on the back with "Disney Bride" on the front. Hers will say "Have you seen the Bride? Chasing the Bride to the Altar!" and "Disney Bridesmaid". My pace is about 1:30 to 2:00 faster than her per mile. I will wait for her to finish though. We've done several races like this. I finish and wait .
Congrats on your wedding in a year. My fiancee and I are getting married at Disney in March this year, it's a great experience. The tasting session was great and they do a lot of the tedious work, which is great. We are doing it at Wedding Pavilion and the Boardwalk conference center (smallest and most isolated of all free choices). Also, enjoy the race, but don't go too hard, you want to be able to walk the next day, haha.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #47
dewingedpixie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrapagliasotti View Post
Princesses who have done this race in the past -- what is your opinion on the race retreat?? Is it worth the extra money?

I am thinking "yes" to pasta in the park.

Probable "yes" to 5K, but if so, is the breakfast following that worth the money?

Registration needs to hurry up and get here -- but I am guessing it will be like the other races, about 8-ish months out
I think this really depends. I run a lot of races especially distance races DPH will be my second half next year. This year I have 3 half marathons, 1 11 miler, 1 marathon, 1 oly tri, and 1 half iron in the works if things turn out. Due to this I also have a very structured set of eating habits before a race. I feel many runners who run for time and run a lot of distance races are extremely particular about their fuel. The heated tents sound nice, and so do the bathrooms but in all honesty combine my pickyness over food before a race and the cost not for me its a no. I also have food allergies which I'm sure disney would accommodate but I tend to pack my own breakfast for race day no matter where I go. I stick with what is tried and true my final 2 meals before a race so I know all systems are go. One thing that has been hammered into me is you never do anything new race day that includes dinner, breakfast, and if possible controlling your sleep before the race. Less variables means more chance of success.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #48
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Princesses who have done this race in the past -- what is your opinion on the race retreat?? Is it worth the extra money?

Probable "yes" to 5K, but if so, is the breakfast following that worth the money?

Registration needs to hurry up and get here -- but I am guessing it will be like the other races, about 8-ish months out
It is and it isn't. My experience in 2012 wasn't great, as due to the bus delays we didn't really have enough time to enjoy the tent prior to the race, but we did enjoy the private bathrooms. After the race, I sat at an empty table to eat what was available and a family plus one runner came and sat down at the table and loudly exclaimed how it was troublesome to find another chair to drag to the table - i.e., they wanted me out of my seat. IMO, it should be open to runners only. Make a separate tent for chEAR squad members.

But, it was also nice to be able to sit and watch the runners pass the finish line in the couch area (I was on the lookout for my aunt!). And they had decent food. And I met Tink with no line at all. And the "private" port-a-potties were nice. I was just a bit peeved at that family, but I'm sure that was just my experience.
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

Old 02-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #49
Never to old
DIS Veteran

Anyone know what is the shortest distance race you can use as a time qualifier for the PHM? I didn't see it on the run Disney site, but maybe I missed it. We have a local one that is a 10k. There is a half at the same place but it is through the country side with lots of hills. While I think it would be a lovely walk, I doubt it will help my time.
Polynesian 2008, Carribean Beach 2010, 2011, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2010, Dream (March 2011), Wilderness Lodge, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween and Food/Wine Festival 2011, Magic-NY to Canada June 2012, Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean August 2012, Wonder-Alaska July/Aug 2013, Dream- Bahamas September 2013.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #50
Danhockey04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never to old View Post
Anyone know what is the shortest distance race you can use as a time qualifier for the PHM? I didn't see it on the run Disney site, but maybe I missed it. We have a local one that is a 10k. There is a half at the same place but it is through the country side with lots of hills. While I think it would be a lovely walk, I doubt it will help my time.
It must be a timed 10k, anything shorter does not qualify as proof of time, and timed to prove you did what you claim.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #51
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never to old View Post
I am trying really hard to do a walk/run. Yesterday I did a mile using 30 sec intervals. First mile was a PR at 14.30. I walked the second mile at 15.36. I am working on increasing pace as well as increasing distance with a faster pace. I would also like to do the 5k at a snails pace so I don't mess up my chances of completing the half. I really want to finish it. This race is my reward for losing weight. I keep telling everyone what my motivators are. I want my fireworks. I want to run through the castle. I wnt to hear the trumpets. I want to hear the choir sing. And I want my medal! I deserve a medal for losing weight. So far I am down 26 pounds. Of course I reward myself along the way. Every 10 pounds down I get a bead for my bracelet. I am trying to get Minnie for Mickey, but these 4 pounds have been stubborn ones.
What an awesome motivator!! Congratulations on your loss so far!
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

Old 02-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #52
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewingedpixie View Post
I think this really depends. I run a lot of races especially distance races DPH will be my second half next year. This year I have 3 half marathons, 1 11 miler, 1 marathon, 1 oly tri, and 1 half iron in the works if things turn out. Due to this I also have a very structured set of eating habits before a race. I feel many runners who run for time and run a lot of distance races are extremely particular about their fuel. The heated tents sound nice, and so do the bathrooms but in all honesty combine my pickyness over food before a race and the cost not for me its a no. I also have food allergies which I'm sure disney would accommodate but I tend to pack my own breakfast for race day no matter where I go. I stick with what is tried and true my final 2 meals before a race so I know all systems are go. One thing that has been hammered into me is you never do anything new race day that includes dinner, breakfast, and if possible controlling your sleep before the race. Less variables means more chance of success.
I hadnt really thought about all of those variables as far as the meals go. Thanks so much for your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afnaechiquita View Post
It is and it isn't. My experience in 2012 wasn't great, as due to the bus delays we didn't really have enough time to enjoy the tent prior to the race, but we did enjoy the private bathrooms. After the race, I sat at an empty table to eat what was available and a family plus one runner came and sat down at the table and loudly exclaimed how it was troublesome to find another chair to drag to the table - i.e., they wanted me out of my seat. IMO, it should be open to runners only. Make a separate tent for chEAR squad members.

But, it was also nice to be able to sit and watch the runners pass the finish line in the couch area (I was on the lookout for my aunt!). And they had decent food. And I met Tink with no line at all. And the "private" port-a-potties were nice. I was just a bit peeved at that family, but I'm sure that was just my experience.
Thanks so much for your input with your experience last year. I guess I will still give it some thought. If I am going to spend the money on that, I certainly want to feel like I am getting the most out of it.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #53
Never to old
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danhockey04

It must be a timed 10k, anything shorter does not qualify as proof of time, and timed to prove you did what you claim.
Thanks Dan
I am working on trying to find out if these local ones are timed.
Polynesian 2008, Carribean Beach 2010, 2011, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2010, Dream (March 2011), Wilderness Lodge, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween and Food/Wine Festival 2011, Magic-NY to Canada June 2012, Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean August 2012, Wonder-Alaska July/Aug 2013, Dream- Bahamas September 2013.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #54
Never to old
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by afnaechiquita

What an awesome motivator!! Congratulations on your loss so far!
Thanks
Old 02-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #55
caitie86
Earning My Ears

I just finished the 5k during PHM weekend and want more! I will be doing the PHM next year as part of my C2C with Tinkerbell Half. So....can.....not....wait!!! I'm not much of a runner at the moment but am getting better. I'm doing a couple local 5ks this spring along with the EEC. This fall I'm doing the ToT and a 10k in St. Augustine.

I will be doing the PHM solo and would love to join anyone for a meetup. I do a walk/run combo at the moment but would love to be able to run more.

- best running partner, Marley

Old 02-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #56
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitie86 View Post
I just finished the 5k during PHM weekend and want more! I will be doing the PHM next year as part of my C2C with Tinkerbell Half. So....can.....not....wait!!! I'm not much of a runner at the moment but am getting better. I'm doing a couple local 5ks this spring along with the EEC. This fall I'm doing the ToT and a 10k in St. Augustine.

I will be doing the PHM solo and would love to join anyone for a meetup. I do a walk/run combo at the moment but would love to be able to run more.
Hello

I am doing ToT & PHM as a solo! I would love to do a meetup!!

C2C...how awesome! You go girl!!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #57
Danhockey04
Mouseketeer

After talking to my costume lady, she has some ideas on the tail, thankfully. However, this 2014 one should be better than 2013 costume (more detail), the tail is going to be a unique design to look tight but give running ability, decorating a light purple sports bra with shells, and even a light green/blue navel ring or a shell or little mermaid ring or bar or whatever it's called. I will do a wig or a shell hair piece, I'm going all out.

Also, I plan on being at ToT and W&D this year (probably in some costume, I still have my french maid princess costume I designed and not worn for a race), along with the Mickey marathon and possibly Miami again. I know a Halloween race will be in there somewhere too. Lastly, I found myself one more race in April (Lake Minneola HM) before FL races shut down till September. I will be in and out of this thread throughout the year depending on work load and time. I will be here to help any first timers through the process, but training advice is not my best as I follow my own, unethical plan. Also, is this the official 2014 Princess thread? If so, the thread title should be altered to reflect.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #58
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danhockey04 View Post
After talking to my costume lady, she has some ideas on the tail, thankfully. However, this 2014 one should be better than 2013 costume (more detail), the tail is going to be a unique design to look tight but give running ability, decorating a light purple sports bra with shells, and even a light green/blue navel ring or a shell or little mermaid ring or bar or whatever it's called. I will do a wig or a shell hair piece, I'm going all out.

Also, I plan on being at ToT and W&D this year (probably in some costume, I still have my french maid princess costume I designed and not worn for a race), along with the Mickey marathon and possibly Miami again. I know a Halloween race will be in there somewhere too. Lastly, I found myself one more race in April (Lake Minneola HM) before FL races shut down till September. I will be in and out of this thread throughout the year depending on work load and time. I will be here to help any first timers through the process, but training advice is not my best as I follow my own, unethical plan. Also, is this the official 2014 Princess thread? If so, the thread title should be altered to reflect.
Sounds like a cute costume!! I will be at ToT also -- Dory in the 5K and either Ursula or Mrs Increadible for the 10 miler. Not sure about costumes for 2014 Princess.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #59
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

I think I might try for C2C next year. After reading all these posts about C2C, I am going to give it a try and do Tink 1/2 in Jan, the Princess 1/2 in Feb to get my C2C in WDW.

Time to really get the training in gear!!
Old 02-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #60
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I did the race retreat this year and I thought it was worth every penny! But that's just me. I was in line for the bus at 2:45 so I could get my money's worth. I was in the race retreat by 3:15 and there was zero line for the bag check, I just walked up and gave them my bag of post race stuff. I knew that they served bagels, peanut butter, water and bananas in the retreat so this is what I trained with for my long runs and I didn't have to pack my own - one less thing to worry about. It was so great to just grab a table and relax and gather my thoughts, this made me a lot less nervous. There were some stretching mats too. I got some character photos. The only bad thing was the line for the porta potties and I nearly died when I saw how long it was! But they opened up the mens side and the line moved super fast. After the race I felt like a total zombie once I crossed the finish line. I grabbed a bag of ice for my painful knee and made my way back to the retreat and I felt so glad that I could sit on a chair and put my leg up to ice it. I grabbed an ice cold coke and a water and relaxed for a bit before I got back up (slowly!) to get some eggs and bacon. The food wasn't amazing but it did the job right then and there! I picked up my bag at bag check with no wait and went to the private changing area. A fresh change of clothes and my own comfy flip flops (not the ones you get in the retreat) really made a difference! I waited about an hour for my friend to finish and couldn't ask for a better spot to just hang out and get my wits about me. I plan to do the PHM with my sister next year and I told her that we are totally getting this.
Closed Thread

Tags
princess

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: