Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
DisneyDiva8401
Mouseketeer

Biking at the Fort

We are planning on taking our bikes for the first time this year and am really looking forward to it. Not having to catch a bus to go to the trading post and all that is what I'm really looking forward to. Who all has experience biking here? Are there plenty of bike racks and such? We have locking chains so we can lock them while we are at the parks and such. Do you have any suggestions or ideas on anything else? We also have flashing lights for riding at night and a basket for carrying our stuff

DisneyDiva8401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

We always bike at the Fort.

It's good that you have your locks. At night you will need lights or reflection vests/devices so automobile and bus drivers can see you as well as night walkers.

There are racks all over down at the beach, by Trails End, the pools, the Trading Posts, and bus depots (at Gateway and Settlement).

Plus there are nice wooden fences by the Comfort Stations you can chain lock onto.

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDiva8401 View Post
We are planning on taking our bikes for the first time this year and am really looking forward to it. Not having to catch a bus to go to the trading post and all that is what I'm really looking forward to. Who all has experience biking here? Are there plenty of bike racks and such? We have locking chains so we can lock them while we are at the parks and such. Do you have any suggestions or ideas on anything else? We also have flashing lights for riding at night and a basket for carrying our stuff
One bit of advice. Unless you want *soggy seats* when returning from the parks, I would cover my bike seats/basket with plastic bags.

Showers/thunderstorms are fairly spontaneous and could really put a damper on wanting to sit on your bike
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

They are now asking that you have front and rear lights on your bike. They are cheap and easy to put on. Anyone 16 and under also need a bike helmet. Have a great time!!!

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
DisneyDiva8401
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse

One bit of advice. Unless you want *soggy seats* when returning from the parks, I would cover my bike seats/basket with plastic bags.

Showers/thunderstorms are fairly spontaneous and could really put a damper on wanting to sit on your bike
Good idea....didn't think of that

DisneyDiva8401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDiva8401 View Post
Good idea....didn't think of that
You're welcome!

We learned the hard way - not at Disney, as we don't bring our bicycles there, but in the Smoky Mountains.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
Readerbug
Using My Ears

I'm listening on this topic.
To add to the OP's "Who has experience biking here?",
I'd like to know if any have experience renting from offsite vendors? If so, recommendations?
And, for those who have rented at the Bike Barn, are they hard to get, like the demand for golf carts? Or is there plenty?

We would like to keep bikes for the length of stay, and as you see in my sig, bringing them would be a task. If we do bring some, could you attach a light, like the wearable headlamps, to the handlebars and be compliant?

My 5 year old watched the Dis DVD, castle, rides and all, and her answer to "So what would you like to do most?" was, "That!"
(riding bikes at the Fort).

I think parents like me, underestimate the thrill of simple things in kids eyes, even when they have the whole World at thier feet....hence some of the hidden appeal of the Fort.

Me, DH edu IT man, 19, 17, 15, 13, 10, 7.
Readerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readerbug View Post
I'd like to know if any have experience renting from offsite vendors? If so, recommendations?
And, for those who have rented at the Bike Barn, are they hard to get, like the demand for golf carts? Or is there plenty?

We would like to keep bikes for the length of stay, and as you see in my sig, bringing them would be a task. If we do bring some, could you attach a light, like the wearable headlamps, to the handlebars and be compliant?

My 5 year old watched the Dis DVD, castle, rides and all, and her answer to "So what would you like to do most?" was, "That!"

I think parents like me, underestimate the thrill of simple things in kids eyes, even when they have the whole World at thier feet....hence some of the hidden appeal of the Fort.
I assume that as long as the headlamp attaches well to the bike it would serve the same purpose. Also, be aware if riding at dusk/dawn/night you will need rear lights also for yours, and others safety. It's hard for walkers to see bikes at those times. I think FW requires them.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
kazlac4
Mouseketeer

Here's another idea. We have a baby-seat attached to the back of my DH that was used when our grand-kids were younger. They all now ride their own bikes, but we have found that we enjoy using the bike seat to carry things in. We pack our tote bag with towels and mugs, etc. and head over to the pool. We also have used it to lug a small cooler to take a few cold beverages/snacks down to the beach while watching the fireworks. I think my DH would actually try to put our dog in it if he could get away with it. We love using the bikes to get around the Fort.
2006 - All Star Movies
2009 - Fort Wilderness
2010 - Fort Wilderness
2011 - All Star Movies
2013 - Fort Wilderness
kazlac4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
patches4me
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama_ed View Post
We always bike at the Fort.

It's good that you have your locks. At night you will need lights or reflection vests/devices so automobile and bus drivers can see you as well as night walkers.

There are racks all over down at the beach, by Trails End, the pools, the Trading Posts, and bus depots (at Gateway and Settlement).

Plus there are nice wooden fences by the Comfort Stations you can chain lock onto.

Bama ED
Advice: We remove our lights (front & rear). Ours were stolen one year, so now we get the quick release ones and put them in our backpacks on our way to the parks.
patches4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

The Fort's bike rentals are $18.00 per day. They have to be returned and rented daily. I don't believe they can be reserved. There are off site vendors. I have no knowledge, I bet the budget board could help there. I have heard of people buying cheap bikes and having them shipped to The Fort for their use. You could "pay it forward" when you're done with them. You'd need front and back lights.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #12
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readerbug View Post

There have been a few people on here who have mentioned K&M Rentals: http://www.km-rentals.com/bike-rental-orlando I think they deliver to the Fort. You might give them a call to check about deliveries, minimum number of days required to rent/deliver, etc.

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
Readerbug
Using My Ears

"We have used a place called Richie's Bike Shop twice in the past few years. They will deliver to FW/and pick up the bikes at no extra charge. They gave us 3 very nice bikes for $90. for the week! (Compare that with the Bike Barn). Their number is (407) 529-5237."

This was copied from an older post here. I'm copy-posting it ...as a current 'biking the fort" file of info. Don't yet know how relavant it is.Will call on these options, thanks.

Nice use of a baby, ala tote bag seat! I also read where someone earlier packed things in plastic milk crates, then bungied an empty one to the back for similar trips, or laundry runs.

By the way, in searching, I noticed that many of you who posted helpfully here have also previously answered on the topic (topics!) again and again. Thank you! Thank you.

Me, DH edu IT man, 19, 17, 15, 13, 10, 7.
Readerbug is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: