Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
kaitmarie
I want adventure in the great wide somewhere...

Comfy shoes for the parks?

Hey everyone, I am trying to find nice, comfy shoes for my trip in May/June.

I have super flat, narrow feet and really bad joint problems, so I need a good arch and something comfy. If I don't have good shoes my hips begin to slide out. I don't want anything slowing me down at WDW! But, I am in my mid twenties and I love shoes. I'd love ballet flats or something else cute I can wear over and over. I really don't like sneakers. I've never found ones that don't hurt or make me sweat like crazy. And I tend to wear dresses, so sneakers don't look the best.

I'm convinced that stylish orthopedic shoes don't exist!

I know you guys have to know of good shoes to walk around Disney! What do you wear at Disney?

kaitmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
jemmouse
DIS Veteran

I am in my early 40's and I also LOVE cute shoes BUT sometimes you need to think of your health first. If your feet are as bad as you say then honestly I hate to say it but a running shoe with significant arch support is the best way to go. Go to a running store and they can fit you with the best one. Now I am sure you are thinking no way, so my next suggestion would be Keen sandals or Dansko, and even Merrell....

I can't tell you enough that if you don't start now with good foot care you will not have good results later in 30's or 40's...sorry

Honestly if you look at majority of people in the parks, you will find gym shoes...again I get the cute shoes but save those for the pool and dinner...

GOod luck and hope your feet feel better with some good shoes...
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
jenniy122
Mouseketeer

get keen or dansko mary janes. cute with dresses, easy on the feet.

look here for other options. all their styles are good for your feet and alignment.
2011 - POP
2014 - POP

my blog
jenniy122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
RSWA2
Mouseketeer

I'm not a female, so I can't chime in about what goes well with a dress...

But, I second some above comments about running shoes. I am a casual runner. I too have a low arch and I found that if I don't have enough arch support, my feet, then eventually hips hurt. I found that running shoes that have cushioning are the best as opposed to support, which helps if you have weak ankles or knees. If you go to your local running shoe store, they'll fit a shoe to you, based on your feet and gait. It can make a world of difference.

In the mean time, you can always google Gel Nimbus for females and see what they look like, they are a fairly affordable cushioned shoe.
RSWA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
ddean1968
Earning My Ears

I just purchased so Ryka SPORT WALKER ADVANCE sneakers for my wife and she swears by their comfort right out of the box. Every review I have read for them has been base don the comfort, so I chanced it and she loves them.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddean1968 View Post
I just purchased so Ryka SPORT WALKER ADVANCE sneakers for my wife and she swears by their comfort right out of the box. Every review I have read for them has been base don the comfort, so I chanced it and she loves them.
I wear Ryka cross trainers, Revive, and switch off with Keen sandals. I need a good arch support and both of these provide it. Ryka can be hard to find - I now get them at Famous Footwear.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
julsmom
DIS Veteran

Last time at WDW I wore basic canvas Toms. They were super comfortable. Then at DL last fall I wore a pair of Michael Kors flats (comfy) and Jack Rogers sandals (also comfy). The main thing is to make sure your shoes are broken in.
julsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

Usually I'll wear my broken in New Balance tennis shoes. This year I brought my (broken in) Teva Mush flip flops, thinking that I could wear them in the morning and the NB's at night - or vice versa. I ended up wearing the Tevas the entire trip! The NB's never even made it out of my bag. I loved it though, because now I know I can do the same thing when we go to California this year and free up some space where the socks and tennis shoes would have been (and that will be valued space with the number of days we'll be gone lol!).

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
pammydw
Mouseketeer

We were at the world in October. I wore my Birkenstocks. Very comfy. I never had tired or sore feet. Although, I can't say if these are good shoes for the issues you have, but they worked great for me. Good luck!

Pam Chris: Lucy
Boardwalk Resort October 2012
Contemporary and Polynesian March 1983
pammydw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
bellamicia
Earning My Ears

Comfy Shoes

I have just had a disney shoe epiphany! After working in a job for 11 years where I am on my feet for 9-14 hours a day(in heels!) and working this job into the 9th month of pregnancy twice, I have some serious foot issues. We are going to Disney in April, and I was really concerned about finding some comfortable shoes. On these boards, I saw a lot of Merrill/Teva/Crocs(aaak!) recommendations, but I really like something not so earthy and prefer a closed toe. I did a LOT of research online and ended up ordering a pair from a company called arcopedico in a style called "L14" I've worn them for about 5 days now, and they are AMAZING! They have the look of a ballet flat with a bit of a wedge. The foot-bed is entirely molded and has AWESOME arch support(so hard to find in a ballet-flat style shoe!) The upper is a very sturdy yet extremely breathable cloth. They are very lightweight and small for packing. I tend to not wear shorts in spring/summer, but tend to go more for casual sundresses, and these look great with both. They were a little expensive, but actually in-line/a bit cheaper than the previously recommended brands. I got them from the big Z, so shipping was free and super fast. I hope this helps!
bellamicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I love TOMS...my favorite and most comfortable shoes.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #12
Mom24Princesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
I love TOMS...my favorite and most comfortable shoes.

I love TOMS...my favorite and most comfortable shoes. I have 6 pair!
ASMu--July 96; ASMu--Aug 98; PORS--June 01; ASMu--July 03; POP--Feb 04; CSR--June 04; ASMo--June 07; AoA--June 13
DCL

1st DCL Eastern MAGIC APRIL 1-8, 2006

THEN!!
2nd DCL Western MAGIC April 5-12, 2008
Mom24Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #13
jme829
Proud mother of 3.....4 if you include my husband!

I have just started wearing Skechers Go Walk and Skechers Go Run. I am going to get them for the whole family for our upcoming trip in August (first in 7 years ).

They are both super comfortable and feel like slippers. Extremely light weight. the Go Run support a midfoot strike. The are made to be like being barefoot, yet have a lot of support. They have lots of fun (and plain) colors.

Both are priced in the $50-60 range so pretty affordable. I got mine at Famous Footwear, but if you have a Skechers store nearby, they have a much bigger selection.

1997 Wilderness , 1999 Port Orleans, 2000 (offsite), 2002 (offsite), 2006 (offsite), 2013 (offsite)
jme829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
ryalluvdiz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jme829
I have just started wearing Skechers Go Walk and Skechers Go Run. I am going to get them for the whole family for our upcoming trip in August (first in 7 years ).

They are both super comfortable and feel like slippers. Extremely light weight. the Go Run support a midfoot strike. The are made to be like being barefoot, yet have a lot of support. They have lots of fun (and plain) colors.

Both are priced in the $50-60 range so pretty affordable. I got mine at Famous Footwear, but if you have a Skechers store nearby, they have a much bigger selection.
Love my GoRun sneakers....i too will buy the GoWalk for my upcoming trip... Comfy and cute!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
mamabear0222
Countdown to 2014 trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryalluvdiz

Love my GoRun sneakers....i too will buy the GoWalk for my upcoming trip... Comfy and cute!
I must try these.....they look interesting. I currently wear acis but they are heavy shoes...

Sent from my Samsung S3 using DISBoards

Tags
orthopaedic, shoes

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: