DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
utahkennedys
DIS Veteran

Is OKW the "hot" new resale resort?

It seems the popularity of resale resorts goes in waves. I am looking for February UY points and wow, they go quickly. Is it because of the point values or is it just because the resort has become better known? It is our personal favorite however we haven't tried SSR and BWV although I would like to. DH just can't seem to agree to stay anywhere but OKW!
Old 02-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Personally, I like OKW better than SSR and VWL, but BWV is one of my faves (BCV, BWV, HH, OKW, VWL, SSR and VB <--in that order...haven't tried AKV or BLT yet). OKW is the 'hot' ticket on the resale market lately (for a while now actually) and I think it has to do with DVD exercising ROFR on a lot of OKW contracts. There is some speculation that they are doing this because of the whole extension thing...ROFR'ing the regular OKW and reselling them as extended OKW contracts.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #3
Breyean
DVC Since '93

OKW was our first home resort from way back when so I am biased.

But I think it has a lot going for it, like the large rooms, large NUMBER of available rooms, and the incredibly low points per night cost compared with other resorts. These have to be attractive to resale buyers. Especially as the resale price/point is relatively low. With each new resort built with higher points per night requirements, OKW looks better and better.

Add to that the great views, peaceful surroundings...

All DVC resorts have pluses and minuses, but OKW has always been our favorite.
Breyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
DizBub
Totally Addicted

We stayed at OKW last Feb for the first time and fell in love with it.

We had a SSR resale in ROFR and started second-guessing it. Ultimately that deal fell through and we started looking at OKW resales. Most of them were being ROFRed and it totally scared us off. In May we found a contract we liked at another resort and are happy with that. But we have stayed at OKW a couple more times since and still love it. The point requirements can't be beat.

Disney is asking $100pp for OKW which makes it a pretty easy sell for people who balk at AKV and BLT prices.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Jasonkat
Mouseketeer

I just did a split stay AKL/OKW last week.

They certainly named the resort well, OLD key west. My goodness the average age of resort guests was like 62!!!

I went to the pool and while the resort may be "hot" for the resale market I can tell you that none of the pool goers were very "hot". Old people everywhere.

OKW even has a shuffleboard court! I bet they have Bingo nights, too.

I'm sure I'll stay at OKW again....in like 30 years when I'm a member of AARP.

But for those of us who don't remember the Roosevelt administration there are better options out there.

(I really, really hated OKW)
Jasonkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonkat View Post

They certainly named the resort well, OLD key west. My goodness the average age of resort guests was like 62!!!

I went to the pool and while the resort may be "hot" for the resale market I can tell you that none of the pool goers were very "hot". Old people everywhere.

But for those of us who don't remember the Roosevelt administration there are better options out there.

Whippersnapper!
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
Breyean
DVC Since '93

Quote:

BLT has shuffleboard also.

I guess you won't be staying there either.
Breyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
amypetecar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonkat

Well i guess that explains the "Murder She Wrote" marathon they were playing during movie night.....
amypetecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
::danielle::
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonkat

Be careful, someone is likely to beat you up with their cane for implying that 62 is geriatric age. Besides, everyone knows they put cocoons in the pool so the guests can have energy for the 3 pm conga line.

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever." ~Walt Disney.

Disneyland 2009 (Candy Cane Inn)

Disney World March 2-11 2012 (POP, WBC, POR split stay)

Disney World Dec 14-21 (BLT)
::danielle:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
Jasonkat
Mouseketeer

I guess I should have been suspicious when the song playing in the lobby at check in was "Mack the Knife".

I gotta admit I really enjoyed the movie on the beach: An Affair to Remember.
Jasonkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #11
jimmytammy
Swivel, it's a hard habit to break
Not Tammy, just Jimmy
Go, Panthers!!! (oh, nevermind...)

JasonKat
Just remember one day you will be "old" too, and OKW will appeal to you

I am 48 and I love OKW. At this point in my life, peace and tranquility are good things. And OKW delivers in that dept. VWL is where we own and it is 1st in our hearts, but OKW is a very close 2nd. Love the size of the 1 beds, scared to stay in a 2 bed or GV for fear it may lead to more contracts

To answer the original post, IMO, there are various reasons that OKW is selling so quick. Pts being lower is an obvious, but the availability plus the price per pt is appealing as well.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #12
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytammy View Post
JasonKat
Just remember one day you will be "old" too, and OKW will appeal to you

I am 48 and I love OKW. At this point in my life, peace and tranquility are good things. And OKW delivers in that dept. VWL is where we own and it is 1st in our hearts, but OKW is a very close 2nd. Love the size of the 1 beds, scared to stay in a 2 bed or GV for fear it may lead to more contracts

To answer the original post, IMO, there are various reasons that OKW is selling so quick. Pts being lower is an obvious, but the availability plus the price per pt is appealing as well.
I would add that I'd rather stay at a resort where the age skewers a little older than one where younger, snarkier, and more cynical guests abide.

sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Perhaps OKW was designed for those of us that have the wisdom to embrace and appreciate the simpler things in life. Remember the old truism "less IS more."

A vacation is more than running through a theme park at full speed like you're on a military mission. OKW affords one the chance to stop and smell the roses.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #14
littlestar
DIS Veteran

When they built OKW, they weren't skimping on square footage. I love the roominess. To me, OKW is great when you have a large family group going together. And the lower points to stay there is just icing on the cake.

As far as lots of older people at the pool - my guess would be grandma and grandpa were probably treating their family and those younger folks/kids were probably hitting the parks while grandma and grandpa were relaxing at the pool -
Old 02-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #15
cvjw
DIS Veteran

Kidani Village also has a shuffleboard court. My 2 teenage sons love playing shuffleboard at all of the DVC resorts - it isn't just for older folks. Also, the Hard Rock Hotel at Universal also has shuffleboard courts, and it certainly isn't geared for the AARP crowd.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: