DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #16
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandisw View Post
Maybe I am just the type that tries to see things from a positive intention but I am thinking that this is the reason the policy was put in place-way too many people calling and wanting the information and it prevented those working to get done what needed to get done vs. just a way to stick it to resale buyers.

My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that office has only a few CM's working in it that handle the entering of the new information so multiple calls a day to stop and check may have been actually delaying things getting done.
I see it from a business stand point. Disney made it clear that they have no problem hurting resale buyers when they took away the ability to book outside of DVC and RCI. They make the broker wait for the Estoppel info and the ROFR status. Now they don't want phone calls and instead mail the info apparently using security as the excuse.

The buyer by the way, pays Disney's $50 Estoppel fee which is basically verifying in the computer the sellers account status. They could charge $100 to cover the added expense of expediting the resale process if they wanted to, but it appears that they don't.

Meanwhile direct buyers get an account, points assigned, and reservations made the same day in many cases and they don't have the same security issues?

If they can set direct buyers up in one day, they could do the same for resale buyers if they wanted to.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #17
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandisw

Maybe I am just the type that tries to see things from a positive intention but I am thinking that this is the reason the policy was put in place-way too many people calling and wanting the information and it prevented those working to get done what needed to get done vs. just a way to stick it to resale buyers.

My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that office has only a few CM's working in it that handle the entering of the new information so multiple calls a day to stop and check may have been actually delaying things getting done.
Honestly? I think it's somewhere in between. There are only a couple of people to input all the contracts into the system, so getting a bunch of calls all day, every day, requesting membership numbers probably slowed their productivity. By adopting the new policy, it gets rid of most of those calls eventually. And as a byproduct, they were able to tack on a bit more time to the resale buying process. So now, instead of saying resale takes about two months start to finish, it will actually take closer to three (which for many it already did). Win-win all the way around for DVC/DVD.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #18
undchefreak
Mouseketeer

I was called by my guide, and after a short conversation I asked him my member number, which I then took to memeber services to get a reservation and my sign in information about 8 days before my member number arrived via snail mail.

My timing was Nov 13 offer to Jan 17th booking, so 2 months 4 days with two holidays.

1st Disney Visit - DL 1991 stayed with family (as a child)
1999 May Pop Movies
2009 May DW Offsite
2012 Sept Coronodo
2013 new DVC member!
2013 Jan Split stay SSR and OKW
2013 Oct DL at VGC
2014 Jan OKW
undchefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #19
Disbroads
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by czmom View Post
Ack!!! I hope not! I just received my closing documents today from Timeshare Title, so I am a good week or two behind you. But I need to make a reservation for April 10 as soon as possible!

Please update when you can, and good luck!
If it is your expectation that you can book for early April, a peak time, so close to arrival, you might want to pause and research your purchase.
I'm not saying that to be Debbie downer. Just don't want to read another "disappointed with my DVC" post.

Honestly, mid March through most of April is high demand times and typically booked out once the 7 month window has passed, with possible exception of Saratoga and maybe Old Key West.
As of five days ago, your date was open to people with holding points.

Which resort(s) were you looking to book?
Disbroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #20
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disbroads

If it is your expectation that you can book for early April, a peak time, so close to arrival, you might want to pause and research your purchase.
I'm not saying that to be Debbie downer. Just don't want to read another "disappointed with my DVC" post.

Honestly, mid March through most of April is high demand times and typically booked out once the 7 month window has passed, with possible exception of Saratoga and maybe Old Key West.

Most years. This year Easter is early 3/31, so if the PP is looking for something for 4/10, as long as they are flexible on location or room size, they could still ( now) find something. If delays mean they can't make reservations for another month, well no telling what might be available at that time.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
Old 02-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #21
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTisforME View Post
I agree. Thought that the maintenance went to care for the properties. In the end, Disney is a business just like anything else. They technically have the right to have different processes for direct purchases and resale.

One of the reasons people who buy direct pay more. One of the reasons I went direct was because I wanted what I wanted- when I wanted it.
This is the #1 reason why someone should buy direct. Thank you for this breath of fresh air and honesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandisw View Post

I agree. I do think there is a little disincentive built into the decision as well, but I would not go so far as to say that DVD executives are meeting behind closed doors to figure out ways to stick it to resale buyers. I tried to put myself in the place of the unfriendly cast member when this topic came up last year. Although there is no real reason to be rude, I did sympathize with her over the frustration she must have experienced fielding multiple phone calls per day from the same people.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #22
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
I agree. I do think there is a little disincentive built into the decision as well, but I would not go so far as to say that DVD executives are meeting behind closed doors to figure out ways to stick it to resale buyers. I tried to put myself in the place of the unfriendly cast member when this topic came up last year. Although there is no real reason to be rude, I did sympathize with her over the frustration she must have experienced fielding multiple phone calls per day from the same people.
I respectfully disagree. You don't think that they had a meeting when they took away the ability for resale buyers to book outside of DVC and RCI? That act was obviously intentional and premeditated. You don't think that if they did it once they won't do it again?

Their goal is to increase direct sales and if resale buyers are hurt in the process, that is apparently acceptable to them.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #23
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I think the reason they started limiting resale buyers was the difficulty they are having filling cash rooms as the result of the trades. They cut down on the cruise room availability at the same time. Cutting the resale buyers options will mean less trades, so it accomplished a couple of things at the same time (also encouraging direct sales).
Old 02-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #24
czmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disbroads View Post

No worries at all about any disappointment! We bought for many future trips which are always planned 11 months in advance. Our contract just happens to come with some points that we will need to rent out this year, as we are already booked for VGC in December.
With some very cheap airfare, I booked a resort only trip for me and DD6 for April. We have a Royal Room reserved at POR just in case, but would totally snag a studio at SSR with our points if it all works in time.
Either way, I will be happy to be at WDW!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #25
gdrj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
Statements like this make me cringe. Our maintenance fees go to pay the expenses of the DVC resorts (including the costs of DVC cast member salaries). That being said, I do not think that this entitles us to special privileges, the right to make demands, or the right to treat cast members as if they work for us directly.

Agreed
gdrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #26
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz

I see it from a business stand point. Disney made it clear that they have no problem hurting resale buyers when they took away the ability to book outside of DVC and RCI. They make the broker wait for the Estoppel info and the ROFR status. Now they don't want phone calls and instead mail the info apparently using security as the excuse.

The buyer by the way, pays Disney's $50 Estoppel fee which is basically verifying in the computer the sellers account status. They could charge $100 to cover the added expense of expediting the resale process if they wanted to, but it appears that they don't.

Meanwhile direct buyers get an account, points assigned, and reservations made the same day in many cases and they don't have the same security issues?

If they can set direct buyers up in one day, they could do the same for resale buyers if they wanted to.

Bill
But don't you think the constant rise in direct prices has had an impact on sending buyers to resale as well? We bought BLT in 2009 at $96 a point...in just 4 years its up to $165..even with incentives, the $150's. And yes, I do agree that they may be able to get new buyers set up and paperwork mailed faster, but I can't see how anyone would think adding a two week delay--because at most that is all it is now with the refusal to give info on the phone-- would make a difference.

It just seems that there are certainly lots of ways to make the resale process a lot less attractive to drive direct sales--IMO, this just doesn't seem like it would be all that effective of a measure..

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:23 AM   #27
BLTisforME
Headed to Orlando.... again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC

This is the #1 reason why someone should buy direct. Thank you for this breath of fresh air and honesty.

Thanks! I agree with your point about the DVC execs meeting behind closed doors thinking of ways to stick it to resale buyers. Not likely. It is likely that as market conditions improve and management changes happen at DVC, policies will slowly roll out.... Just like the changes that were made with resale buyers only using points at DVC properties.
BLTisforME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:24 AM   #28
BLTisforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz

I respectfully disagree. You don't think that they had a meeting when they took away the ability for resale buyers to book outside of DVC and RCI? That act was obviously intentional and premeditated. You don't think that if they did it once they won't do it again?

Their goal is to increase direct sales and if resale buyers are hurt in the process, that is apparently acceptable to them.

Bill
Absolutely!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #29
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTisforME
. Just like the changes that were made with resale buyers only using points at DVC properties.
You do know that resale CAN trade out through RCI if they want to, right?

Old 02-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #30
BLTisforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannysMom

You do know that resale CAN trade out through RCI if they want to, right?

I thought that any resale contracts that were purchased within the past year-18 months were unable to be used for anything but the DVC sites. The people who own older resale contracts don't have that restriction. Am I wrong??

Looking for a resale contract for BCV so this is good to know.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: