Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #16
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPirateShopGirl

I use it all the time. You can cook dried beans (soaked or unsoaked) in an hour, make stocks (chicken, beef or veg) in an hour, start to finish, you can can low acid veggies. There's a huge difference in flavor from an hour of simmering on a stove and an hour pressure cooking.

I really like using mine to cook potatoes in large chunks quickly and without boiling them. I can pressure cook a chicken in an hour to use in chicken salad and it's moist and falling off the bone.

There are websites that will give you the timing on pressure cooking just about anything. They save so much time!
Ok I may have to bit the bullet and get one, I would use it for all those things!!!
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #17
likescarrots
Earning My Ears

I'm kindof shocked by these posts! My husband makes veggie broth almost once a week and it takes about an hour (minus chopping time which takes about 5 min or so). We just have a ton of veggies- carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and any other random stuff we have; fennel root, radishes, apple, turnip, parsnip etc., also if you have left over fresh herbs throw them in - chop everything pretty large and throw it in a pot, fill the rest of the pot with water and bring to a boil for about 20 min. turn down the heat and cover for another 40 minutes or so. Maybe it is the lots of veggies to water ratio that makes it quick, I mean an hour is not very quick but it's not 5-8 hours!
likescarrots is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #18
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

It's only 5 hours if I'm cooking something with bones. When I make chicken stock I cook all the chicken that isn't used and we won't eat. IE, bones, skin, fat, innards, we won't eat any of that so it goes in the pot. Anything with bones I cook for a minimum of 5 hours. Like I said, my beef stock was done in about 1.5-2 hours, I didn't time it so I don't know for sure. I assume veggie stock would be the same. lol

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #19
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by likescarrots View Post
I'm kindof shocked by these posts! My husband makes veggie broth almost once a week and it takes about an hour (minus chopping time which takes about 5 min or so). We just have a ton of veggies- carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and any other random stuff we have; fennel root, radishes, apple, turnip, parsnip etc., also if you have left over fresh herbs throw them in - chop everything pretty large and throw it in a pot, fill the rest of the pot with water and bring to a boil for about 20 min. turn down the heat and cover for another 40 minutes or so. Maybe it is the lots of veggies to water ratio that makes it quick, I mean an hour is not very quick but it's not 5-8 hours!
Me too. If you cook veggie stock for that long, I would think it would turn rather bitter. An hour is just fine.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #20
BusyMom2Three
Mouseketeer

I also do the "free broth" method. Ours is really quick. Like some other PPs, we eat a ton of veggies and put any scraps, peels, anything we'd put in the garbage disposal in a freezer bag until it's full. I just dump the full freezer bag w/ 10 cups of water into a big pot, boil it for maybe half an hour max, then I "zip it" as I call it with my immersion (or stick) blender until it's slighltly pureed. After that, I let it cool for a bit then pour it into my cheescloth-type bag and squeeze it over a big Pyrex measuring cup (I get a LOT bigger yield doing it this way). Then I just pour into mason jars and refrigerate.

I don't add any seasonings to it. I like to know it's got a mild, neutral flavor because it's just easier for me to determine the amount of spices and salt in my recipes if I don't have to account for them in the broth. I've also learned not to dice up an entire broccoli stalk. It gives it a bad smell and taste, but that may just be my opinion.

1985 Tokyo Disneyland (Hilton Tokyo Bay)
Mar 2007 Pop Century
Mar 2009 Pop Century
Mar 2011 Port Orleans Riverside
Mar 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
Feb-Mar 2013 Beach Club
Feb-Mar 2014 Pop Century
BusyMom2Three is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: