Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
JVig
Mouseketeer

Water Parks Question

Hi!
I'm considering whether to add water parks.

We are going Aug 17-25. My daughter will be 5. Do you think the pool at our resort will be enough that she won't even care about the water parks, or are the water parks way way cooler?

Also - which park would be best for a 5 year old who isn't a great swimmer? From very briefly reading some reviews, I'm lewaning towards TL.

One more - can I just wait and add the water park tickets while we are there if we decide to go? Does the water park fun and more thing make sense for us, or would it be better to just pay for one day's admission at a water park?

Thank you
Old 07-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
HarvardAce
Earning My Ears

We plan to take my DS (2) to Typhoon Lagoon -- it's a little more laid back and less crowded than Blizzard Beach, and I think there's more for the younger kids to do there (wave pool, sand, etc.).

You can add the WP&M option at any time during your stay. If you already have a park hopper pass, the cost of the WP&M option is only about $20 more per ticket (regardless of length of stay), so that would be cheaper than a separate ticket.

If you don't have a park hopper, and if you are only going to the water park once (and not planning on doing any of the other extras such as Disney Quest or minigolf), then you'd be better off paying for a separate ticket.
HarvardAce is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
PictureJumpr
At Least 'til it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVig View Post
Hi!
We are going Aug 17-25. My daughter will be 5. Do you think the pool at our resort will be enough that she won't even care about the water parks, or are the water parks way way cooler?
Probably yes, the pool at the resort will be enough.
Depends on which resort you are using, but all of them have pools that seem like heaven to a smaller child. Many of them also have splash pads/water playgrounds as well.

Older kids (9-10) up through teens and adults are less wowed by some of the resorts' pools, but kids in that 4-5-6-7 range just want to be swimming.

So the resort pool will probably be sufficient for her - with no added expense - but is it sufficient for you?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

The waterparks are cool, and do have a kiddie area. However, think about if your dd will be willing to do some of the smaller slides that don't have height requirements. If not, that leaves you spending a lot of money for a kiddie play area, lazy river, and wave pool. Most kids love the resort pools and won't feel like they are missing out unless someone tells them they are.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
JVig
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureJumpr View Post
Probably yes, the pool at the resort will be enough.
Depends on which resort you are using, but all of them have pools that seem like heaven to a smaller child. Many of them also have splash pads/water playgrounds as well.

Older kids (9-10) up through teens and adults are less wowed by some of the resorts' pools, but kids in that 4-5-6-7 range just want to be swimming.

So the resort pool will probably be sufficient for her - with no added expense - but is it sufficient for you?
We're staying at POR, so technically we get two feature pools. I'm guessing that will probably be enough.

I need to stop stressing about this but I'm so worried we will miss something super fun, haha!
Old 07-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
JVig
Mouseketeer

Part of why I'm rethinking this is when I told my daughter about the trip last week, I then popped in the disney planning DVD. The thing she was most in awe of was the water parks! Go figure!
Old 07-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
PictureJumpr
At Least 'til it Rains

She should be fine with the ones in Port Orleans. The Riverside main pool has fountainy and waterfally things spraying and raining on your head... and the slide. The French Quarter one has the giant turquoise/green/pink dragon slide.

On the up side, if she wears herself out in one of these pools, there is no bus ride involved in getting back to the room so she can crash
Old 07-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
pooh4evr
Mouseketeer
In STL we drink soda and eat barbecue, use realators, eat sherbert, and drive on rout farty far

We have been 5 times with our girls and have never done a waterpark, we hardly swim actually. Anyway the POR pool is great my girls love the slide..save the $ for another trip when she can really experience the slides and wave pool.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

The answer is "It Depends"!

If you are only planning to have one water park or Disney Quest day you are much better off purchasing separate tickets unless your ticket is a Park Hopper.

If you add the Water Parks Fun and More option to your MYW ticket it will cost $62.84 (including tax) per person, adult or child if your ticket is not a hopper.

If your ticket already has Park Hopping on it, the cost is only $26.63 to add the WPF&M. It will add one WPF&M entry per day on the base or hopper ticket (but two entries on a one day ticket).

If you purchase one day water park tickets they cost $58.76 adult and $47.93 child. (Disney Quest are $47.93/$41.54) If you are an Annual Passholder or DVC Member you can purchase one day water park tickets at an approximate 10% discount.

This upgrade may be done at any Park (including water parks or TTC) ticket booth or Guest Relations Office. If it is on your room key it can also be done at the Resort Lobby Concierge.

(Note each person must have their own ticket. Even though it adds multiple entries to your ticket, you can only use one ticket for one person.)

Also, if you are planning to do two or more water park visits within a year there is a definite price advantage to purchase Water Park Annual Passes.

An unusual policy at the water parks concerns use of a one day water park ticket. Which is the only time combining tickets is allowed, is we will merge a used WP one day ticket with a MYW ticket to add the WPF&M option and only charge the difference in price.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
ekendall2
Mouseketeer

We tend to not add on the water parks. We live very close to a huge water park in southern indiana so we like to just stay away from those and go to the actual theme parks.

The water parks are cool, but we like the regular parks so much better, that we dont like spending time in the water parks.

Off Site (Choir Trip) 2013, CBR 2011, POP 2009, ASMusic 2007, POR 2004, Off site (H.S. Band Trip) 2001, CBR 1999, CBR 1996, CBR 1994,
CBR 1992, Off Site 1991
ekendall2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
Moodyzblu
DIS Veteran

We've done both water parks over the years, my boys are 8 now, and they liked Typhoon Lagoon the best .. but could care less if we went to the water parks or not. They love the resort pools and are just as happy to swim in those rather than leave to go to a water park.
I dont think she'll be missing out.

Come check out ..
Jayden's Wish pre-trip report !
It Smells Like Elephant and Forbidden Journey's Wish Trip Report ... in progress
The Moodys Do Disneyland!
Youtube channel ... http://www.youtube.com/user/Moodyzblu
Moodyzblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

I think you'll be fine with just the resort pools. Unless you're trying to fill time and have an extra day... I just think there's so much to do in the parks alone and then to relax at the resort and use the pools there. You can always add at the last minute if you change your mind, but I wouldn't pay for it up front.

POP-2007, ASMo-2010, ASSp-2011, POFQ-2013, POFQ-August 2014!!!!
mom2AidanAndEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
loislane
DIS Veteran

Like others said, you can always add the option when you get there if you really want to.

We are heading down Aug. 18-29 and we did go ahead and add the option already. We already paid for hoppers, so it only added maybe $115-$120 total to add the WP&M option. But our kids are 8 (turning 9 while there), 13 and 17 and will probably opt to go to the water parks quite a bit. We figured with 10 full days there, plus half days for check in and check out, it gave more options of things to do and see. And for the price, even if we don't use all the credits, I won't worry about it.

8/18/13-8/29/13 Fort Wilderness
8/21/11-8/27/11 Pop Century
9/12/09-9/19/09 Pop Century
loislane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #14
Rosebud123
Mouseketeer

At age 5, my son greatly preferred BB over TL. He liked it so much we gave up a 3rd day at MK in exchange for a 2nd day at BB! Tons of fun stuff for 5-year olds to do at BB.

My kids are now 11 and 9 and BB is still their favorite out of all the WDW parks. If your dd loved the look of it from the video, I'd do it!
Rosebud123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: