Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #16
marthachick
DIS Veteran

DH got me flowers yesterday "before they're picked over" from Walmart or the grocery store. He said he was sorry they didnt come from the florist & I told him I wouldn't enjoy the ones from the florist because they're too expensive & not any nicer. I bought him & DS a card & a little candy because we're all trying to cut back. We'll probably go out for lunch tomorrow instead of dinner because of crazy schedules.

DH used to work in a department with a bunch of women. They talked awful about their husbands/boyfriends 364 days of the year but if they sent flowers on Valentine's Day "oh he's so sweet!" I'd rather have someone treat me well year round than 1 day a year!

And BTW, DH is always my Valentine.

Offsite May 1984
Offsite January 1990
All Star Sports October 2005
POP Century December 2013
marthachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #17
BelleMaria
Earning My Ears

The longer my DH and I have been together the less extravagant the gifts have gotten. Not because we don't care about each other, but we realize the day is really not that important and we have so many birthdays and holidays around this time of year. I did however get him a nice card ( Mickey of course haha) and we will make sushi for dinner and watch wall e and a horror movie.... I know we are weirdos. I also bought him some candy and he payed a graphic artist to paint me as a disney princes bahaha it was only 5.00 I'm curious to see how it looks.
BelleMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #18
pocomom
Brr.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirataMama4 View Post
We don't really celebrate Valentine's day in my house, since it's my birthday. I do tend to get DH and the kids something small with a card.
Happy Birthday! My brother was born on Valentine's and I was born on my parent's anniversary... my poor mom never got either holiday!
pocomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #19
maggiew
If she hates to be wet, then how does the survive bathing?

I never bought stuff for our kids for Valentines day? I might buy some Valentine M&Ms and put in our candy dish, but no gifts. We usually make Valentines cookies or cake pops or something. I also used to help the kids make Valentine cards for the classmates with lace hearts, construction paper, etc.

DH & I usually will go out to eat for Valentines Day. Not expensive places but a chain restaurant just to kind of give a nod to the day. We don't often give things to each other besides maybe a card and candy. Last year DH got me a charm for my Pandora bracelet. But that was out of the ordinary.

Maggie
Prince Sakura Hotel TDR * Marriott Residence Inn LBV Dec 2013 * Hotel Cheyenne DLPR May 2013 * Aulani July 2012 * Royal Pacific July 2011 * Pop Century Aug 2010 * Disneyland Oct 2009 * Beach Club July 2009 * AsMo Dec 2007 Mousefest! * Old Key West July 2006 * Pop Century Dec. 2005 Mousefest! * Sheraton Safari July 2005 * Pop Century/Portofino Bay Hotel August 2004 * Coronado Springs Nov 2003 * Dolphin June 2003 * POR Nov/Dec 2002 * AsMu 1999 * AsSp 1997
maggiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
MomToOne
DIS Veteran

No current significant other here, although I've done both cheap and more expensive with past ones. It just all depends on the nature of the relationship and the personalities involved, I think.

For DD12, I'll make a batch of sugar cookies in the shape of a heart with red sprinkles. That's it.
MomToOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #21
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

My DH got me Tulips Much cheaper than roses and it shows he knows me well, I'm still mad at self 10 years later I didn't do tulips for our wedding. I'll prob get him a card and some candy or choc strawberries
Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #22
ssawka
DIS Veteran

We usually do a card and some candy on Valentine's Day, however we do go for a nice dinner around this time of year. We started dating on February 18th, 1994 and have been inseparable ever since. So, this is actually more of an anniversary for us then our wedding anniversary. It is amazing to think that nearly half my life has been spent with this woman.

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DW) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #23
tlh0726
DIS Veteran

Printed valentine's day cards for both DS and DD classrooms.
DD is attaching fruit snacks to hers.
DS is attaching tootsie pops to his.

I picked up a box of hershey kisses and hugs for the bus driver.

I donate alot to the kids classrooms throughout the year. Teachers are only getting cards.

For DH and the kids I picked up $1 tubes of candy with heart tops.

Valentine's day is also our anniversary. We all will be going out to eat at a local buffet.

After looking at how much we spent eating out last year, we decided that we are only going to eat out once per month this year. We picked the 2nd thursday of the month. So glad it happened to fall on the correct day!

Taking a break to let the FP+ dust settle and to bring the magic back- April 2014 will be offsite in a 3 bedroom townhouse, sleeping in, relaxing at Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon with a day or two at Legoland mixed in. Spending our nights hitting local restaurants, playing at DisneyQuest, and wherever else we decide to go and do.

August 2013 Pop Century, April 2013 Fort Wilderness, Nov 2012 Pop Century, June 2012 Fort Wilderness, Mar 2012 Offsite, Aug 2011 Offsite,
Apr 2011 Pop Century, Oct 2010 Pop Century, Apr 2010 Fort Wilderness, Mar 2009 Pop Century, June 1997 Offsite, Dec 1996 Offsite
tlh0726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #24
MinnieForMe
DIS Veteran

Hi:
After 19 years of marriage, we tend to do a card. My husband surprises me with little gifts throughout the year so I don't make a big deal about Valentine's Day. We'll go out to eat alone another day as we both hate lines. I'll be making my husband's favorite supper and cookies. I don't normally allow the kids sugary breakfast cereals or donuts but on Valentine's day they get donuts.

Walmart had 50% off Valentine merchandise yesterday so I picked up the cutest metal valentine mail box for my 7 year old. It is filled with a cupcake kit that we'll make together.

2000 - Dixie Landings
2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 at the Sheraton Vistana and Cypress Palms.

Took a break from Disney for Grand Cayman 2013.

2014- Florida and Aruba

I need to remind myself often to: "Enjoy life. To remember that life is not Disney World and you certainly don't want a fastpass. Make the most of everyday and enjoy the ride!"
MinnieForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #25
Juliegirl1
DIS Veteran

To me, Valentine's is about expressing your love, not necessarily gifts. I usually handmake a card and give a little gift of candy to my son.

However, this year is my first Valentine's with my sweetheart (we started dating last year right after Valentine's day). I have been leaving him little gifts of candy on his doorstep every morning since February 1 with silly sayings like 'I chews you' with gum, 'I'm nuts about you' with a bag of nuts. I haven't spent more than about $20 or so.

I told him not to spend a lot on me but I just received a dozen long stemmed red roses at work and I think he might be proposing tomorrow!! - He's been hinting quite heavily that he has a very important question for me (and we have discussed getting married lately) so this will be an expensive holiday for him. We are staying in with the kids for dinner and will be making heart shaped pizza.
Juliegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #26
Misti315
Mouseketeer

I bought each kid a Disney shirt and a Reese's candy and my hubby a card and candy. We just splurged on ourselves last month so decided that would be our gifts. Plus we are going out for dinner on.Friday.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #27
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

I spent $5 apiece on a small box of candy for each of the kids so $25, $2.25 for valentines for youngest DS's classroom (he wanted the candy ones), $10 for a box of candy for DH and $7 for a dozen cupcakes for dessert tomorrow because I didn't want to bake them and wanted a little treat for the kids. I doubt if Dh is getting me anything, if he does he won't spend much. I used to get the kids mylar balloons and they liked that tradition, but they've really outgrown them now.

I admit, I'm a sap and I do like celebrating a little bit. I don't doubt that DH loves me, but he isn't one for gifts or gestures so I like having a day where he's supposed to do something, even if it's just candy or grocery store flowers (which I actually love).

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #28
auger
DIS Veteran

Well, since this is the budget board, maybe someone will appreciate our way of celebrating Valentine's Day.
I am a penny pincher and always have cringed at how much people spend on this holiday.
Years ago, my family, upon my suggestion, began celebrating it the day after Valentine's Day.
We all go out and buy what we want for half price and save a ton of money!
Who cares what day you celebrate it?
I for one, think we should show each other that special love everyday of our lives, but if we are going to make a day for it, I choose Feb 15 th when I can get everything half off!!!!
auger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #29
abcboys
DIS Veteran

We don't do alot here. I don't give any kind of gifts or candy to my kids. They exchange valentines at school (at least the 2 younger ones do) and they will get candy from there. I got DH a card (hey I splurged and got a $3 card instead of a 99cent one!) and I may make him a pecan pie which is his favorite and only made for special occasions. I'll be happy if he at least picks me up a card or gets me something small.

I always have to warn my kids every year that there will be a lot of kids getting huge balloons/stuffed animals delivered to school and they won't be getting anything. Know that I still love them, but I refuse to spend money on that stuff for valentines day. I think they are used to it by now.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #30
mrssmith06
DIS Veteran

Kids- Valentine cards and treats for school, about $8... Gifts to them from me, about $12 total. (Little bags filled with a card, some candy & little trinkets.)

DH and I spend about $20 on each other. Plus we'll spend around $50 going out to dinner this weekend.

So in total for all.... $100-$125.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: