Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reservations
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
LisaTN
DIS Veteran

Do people really do this? ADRs??

A girl I met at Disney told me the best way to get the ADRs for your trip was to book a 10-day trip even if you only planned on going 5 days and make your reservations 180 days before your 'trip' and then modify your trip to make it just five days getting a 5-day jump start to your reservations...

It sounds good in theory, but a little dishonest? I think I would feel bad doing this... but our last trip we weren't able to get BOG and I'd love to get BOG for our next trip. I don't know, not sure I could do this and not feel guilty about it the whole trip.
LisaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
newdeal
DIS Veteran

I have never done it and likely never will but its smart and I wouldn't feel guilty for doing it, its just a reservation its not like you are stealing your meal
newdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Silly
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaTN View Post
A girl I met at Disney told me the best way to get the ADRs for your trip was to book a 10-day trip even if you only planned on going 5 days and make your reservations 180 days before your 'trip' and then modify your trip to make it just five days getting a 5-day jump start to your reservations...

It sounds good in theory, but a little dishonest? I think I would feel bad doing this... but our last trip we weren't able to get BOG and I'd love to get BOG for our next trip. I don't know, not sure I could do this and not feel guilty about it the whole trip.

The girl should be ashamed of herself.

It is cheating and working the system unfairly like this that will cuase disney to sooner or later make restrictions on making ADR's that will effect all the rest of us.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
hiwaygal
Only someone as wonderful as Donna can receive my picture PM's
aka Roadie
They must have been men
Is it Friday yet?!

I don't understand the need...you can book 180+10 days out, right?

The gift of happiness belongs to those who unwrap it.
hiwaygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
LisaTN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
The girl should be ashamed of herself.

It is cheating and working the system unfairly like this that will cuase disney to sooner or later make restrictions on making ADR's that will effect all the rest of us.

AKK
Yeah, I feel the same way I guess. Not worth the bad Karma in my opinion

If we don't get BOG this time, we'll just get in line for the QS lunch. Or, if FPP is out maybe that's another option for the QS
LisaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

I don't know that I'd feel "guilty" about it. People have to make changes to their plans all the time. But I think it's an awful lot of trouble to go through in order to get a 5-day jump in addition to the 180 days people already get to make ADRs. I don't know much about BOG, but knowing it's a counter service for lunch sure doesn't make me want to go through so many hoops just to get an ADR there for a table service dinner there. As much as I love some of the restaurants in WDW, there's just no way I'm making ADRs 6 months in advance. I just can't predict what I'll be in the mood for in August. Sorry, but I think the whole ADR system has gotten out of hand, and this example is a symptom of it. I think ADRs should be limited to 1 month out, with a credit card hold on all of them. A lot of this ADR madness would evaporate then, IMHO.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Well, I guess that if you could dream up something as convoluted as this, then you could do it, but why? I can't think of a single restaurant in WDW that is SO fabulous that it would warrant going to this extreme. Robo got it right.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
cmh314
Mouseketeer

This just seems unnecessary to me. I was able to get everything I wanted for my entire trip by getting up and online first thing in the morning at my 180 day mark, including BOG, CRT, Ohana and an 8am BBB reservation for the day I wanted by calling right at 7am when the phones opened. I don't think its worth the effort and dishonesty nor do I think its needed.
cmh314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
Spunky946
DIS Veteran

It's not something I would ever think of doing. Very silly.
Spunky946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

No, there has never been a need to do that. The only possible exception could be the chef's table at V&A, but that's pretty limited demand. Even CRT has never been THAT hard to get. I often go to WDW with a group of 12. We've always been able to get what we wanted if I book near the 150 day mark...or even far less less. It's not so much immoral, IMO, as silly.

However, I have had cause to modify a resort booking I made.

There are plenty of valid reasons for adjusting one's vacation dates: airfare price fluctuations, getting time off from work- to name two that pop in my head.

I'm happy to report that most of my changes are adding days or extra guests.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #12
Thumper_Man
DDC 684
Do we go left or to the second start on the right, straight on til morning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaygal View Post
I don't understand the need...you can book 180+10 days out, right?
Right. However, the idea behind booking 10 days then changing later is to give you an earlier booking window.

Here's an example:

Lets say you were planning a vacation for 9/1-9/5, and I'm also planning a vacation for the same time frame. We both want to go to CRT for breakfast on 9/2 and get an 8:05 ADR time.

You book your vacation with the specific dates. Now you can start making ADR's on 2/23 (180 days + 10).

I however book a vacation for 8/27-9/5. So my booking window for ADR's is 2/18 (180 + 10). I can now book CRT for 9/2, while you still have to wait. I have increased my odds of getting the time over you. By the time you book, there may or may not be any more ADR's for 8:05.

After I've secured my ADR's, I can call Disney about a month later and tell them I no longer am able to go the length of time I wanted to go. I need to alter my vacation days. My arrival day will now be 9/1 and I'll still be checking out on 9/5. My ADR's won't be affected because now I'll officially be within the 180 booking window, and my vacation is now the same time frame as yours.

While this is in a way is cheating the system, it's still perfectly legal.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #13
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

Thats just sad. There is no place at Disney that I "have" to eat at. But to each his own, I guess.

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
BEARCATS07
Mouseketeer

This is a very sad therory if true. Unfortunately there are some people out there that will do this and makes it that much harder to get reservations. I have also heard of people having more than one log in to disney and booking more than one reservation at a time and then cancel later when they decide which ressie they really want.
BEARCATS07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #15
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

I suppose you could do this. It just isn't worth it to me to have to go thorugh the process of changing reservations. I don't have that kind of time.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: