Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Official 2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon

I searched to see if this thread had been started and did not find one...so,

What: Tinker Bell Half Marathon

When: January 17-19, 2014

Where: Disneyland

I am planning to run, even though I have never run a half! Who else is in?

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
helloirishkitty
DIS Veteran

I hope to run this. I wanted to run it this year but it sold out before I could register so I signed up for Disneyland instead.

If I do this, I will do the WDW half the week before and vacation in the middle.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
freepixie
Tanoshi
Dale kept taking my napkin
And here I thought only the Yeti would eat people

ME!! I'm in, I'm in!!!

Planning to do my coast-2-coast in 2014- Tink and Wine & Dine!! I'm already saving my pennies for all the costs in 2014, but it will be so worth it!!

I've never been to Disneyland, actually never even been to California, so this will be such an exciting trip!!

I am so ready to earn my wings!!!

Tower of Terror Inaugural 10-Miler I like it HOT HOT HOT 2:10.08

Princess Half Marathon 2012 I DID IT!!! 2:58.06
freepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
kim3339
DIS Veteran

I'm in for the 5k and 1/2 again too.

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloirishkitty View Post
I hope to run this. I wanted to run it this year but it sold out before I could register so I signed up for Disneyland instead.

If I do this, I will do the WDW half the week before and vacation in the middle.
Hi! There's a link on the run disney page where you can sign up for an email reminder for the open of registration in case you haven't seen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepixie View Post
ME!! I'm in, I'm in!!!

Planning to do my coast-2-coast in 2014- Tink and Wine & Dine!! I'm already saving my pennies for all the costs in 2014, but it will be so worth it!!

I've never been to Disneyland, actually never even been to California, so this will be such an exciting trip!!

I am so ready to earn my wings!!!
This is my exact plan for 2014 too!! I also have never been to DL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim3339 View Post
I'm in for the 5k and 1/2 again too.
When is the 5k?

Old 02-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
When is the 5k?
If they keep it like this year, it'll be Sat. at 5:45. If they go back to the 1st year, it'll be late Fri. night. It starts right at the castle in DL and ends in DCA towards the back over by World of Color area.

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

I'm in. I want to be a perfect pixie !
Old 02-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
indygirl99
DIS Veteran

I'm in.

I had planned to do coast2 coast with the wine and dine this year but just had to take that money and get a new car today. DH's ancient car died today and there was no reviving it.

On the bright side I have a new car, he took my 3 year old car. But I will miss a trip to the World in the fall.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #9
helloirishkitty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi! There's a link on the run disney page where you can sign up for an email reminder for the open of registration in case you haven't seen it.
Thanks! Last year I was all set to register, and then needed my wisdom teeth out so my race $$ dissappeared. This year I hope to just register the day it opens and keep all of my teeth in my mouth
Old 02-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygirl99 View Post
I'm in.

I had planned to do coast2 coast with the wine and dine this year but just had to take that money and get a new car today. DH's ancient car died today and there was no reviving it.

On the bright side I have a new car, he took my 3 year old car. But I will miss a trip to the World in the fall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloirishkitty View Post
Thanks! Last year I was all set to register, and then needed my wisdom teeth out so my race $$ dissappeared. This year I hope to just register the day it opens and keep all of my teeth in my mouth
Hugs to both of you! Here's hoping all those pesky real life unexpected expenses don't interfere with your goals for next year!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

How do you all train? I am new to running. I always wanted to run, just never did. I think I used to just try to go out and run too far and too fast and never built up slowly (I have a bad back - two disintegrating discs in my L4 and L5), so my back would go and I would give up. But this time has been different. I started the Couch to the 5k just before Christmas, and finally found a way I could do this right. Today (I'm on the last week - W9D1) I ran 3.5 miles in 42 minutes (counting a 5 min. warm-up and cool down) and it felt great!

But as I am nearing the end of my C25k program (only two days left on it), I am left wondering where to go from here. I had begun to adapt Jeff Galloway's walk/run method into it and am doing 3 min. run/1 min. walk.

Should I just continue to increase my time? I was just wondering what other people's schedules looked like. I run three times a week and am planning on adding in a few yoga classes a week (took one last week, just need to work it into the schedule).

Old 02-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
freepixie
Tanoshi
Dale kept taking my napkin
And here I thought only the Yeti would eat people

Quote:
How do you all train? I am new to running. I always wanted to run, just never did. I think I used to just try to go out and run too far and too fast and never built up slowly (I have a bad back - two disintegrating discs in my L4 and L5), so my back would go and I would give up. But this time has been different. I started the Couch to the 5k just before Christmas, and finally found a way I could do this right. Today (I'm on the last week - W9D1) I ran 3.5 miles in 42 minutes (counting a 5 min. warm-up and cool down) and it felt great!

But as I am nearing the end of my C25k program (only two days left on it), I am left wondering where to go from here. I had begun to adapt Jeff Galloway's walk/run method into it and am doing 3 min. run/1 min. walk.

Should I just continue to increase my time? I was just wondering what other people's schedules looked like. I run three times a week and am planning on adding in a few yoga classes a week (took one last week, just need to work it into the schedule).
For me, all those plans are too rigid, so I just kind of do my own thing, I adapt some of what Jeff Galloway says and do it my way. On my long run, I usually warm up 3-5 min walk, run as much as I can at my even pace, then take walk breaks as needed. It works for me, my mom calls it the "Run Forrest Run" method

My week, in general, although the last couple weeks have been a little "off":
Monday- rest
Tuesday- light run (30 minutes max)
Wednesday- Zumba (but this might be changing into a different routine)
Thursday- Yoga (if the weather will ever let me get there LOL)
Friday- swimming (although I might be changing this into another light run)
Saturday- rest
Sunday- long run

Like I said, its kinda in flux right now, things are changing, I am adapting my routines. Really hoping to find something for Mondays, I think the Y had a turbo-kick I might check out at some point.

Right now my long run is up to 6 miles- but I am training for a 10K for St. Paddy's day, and I have a half-marathon in August.

Tower of Terror Inaugural 10-Miler I like it HOT HOT HOT 2:10.08

Princess Half Marathon 2012 I DID IT!!! 2:58.06
freepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
indygirl99
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I'm 50 and still quite a bit overweight, have had a spinal fusion and have asthma. I started running June 24 2012 using Jeff Galloways programs. Joined a Galloway running group in November and ran/walk/ran the Tinker Bell half in January. I finished in the upright position, never saw the balloon ladies and enjoyed the parks after the race.

Jeff has several programs available but not alot of support on the cross training non running days.

I am running the Nike DC womens half marathon in April and downloaded their half marathon training program and the Nike training club app to my phone and am using that for training. I still do the Galloway for my runs but am really seing a big difference having a personal trainer in my phone for the cross training portion.

I do better if I have something planned out that holds me accountable and I like seeing the "rewards" and pats on the back I get from the NTC and running app.

Look around, there are tons of different programs out there. Hope you find one that clicks with you. Looking forward to running next year with you.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #14
regul8ter18
Mouseketeer

I'm in this race will be part of my coast to coast.
regul8ter18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #15
DVC Daisy
DIS Veteran

I have NEVER been in any race before, ever! But I really want to do the 5k & the 1/2 if I could qualify.

Do husbands do the 5k?

If they are both on the same day, as a non-runner (as of now) I could not do both.

Advice? Ideas? Hints? HELP LOL?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: