Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
Moonwolf
Mouseketeer

First time at IoA. What attractions for non-coaster riders?

So my friend and I will be taking a day off from our Disney Vacation in April to got to IoA. Mainly to visit WWoHP since I'm a huge fan and she's enjoyed the books as well. We will definitely be hitting all the attractions/shops in WWoHP except Dragon Challenge because neither of us are big coaster fans.

I was just wondering what else we should try to do at IoA? What other islands/attractions are there for non-coaster fans? I know my friend doesn't like inversions but she likes things like Splash Mountain. For me I have a dislike of drops though if they aren't steep I can normally deal with them. What would you recommend we also do?

Thanks for any help!
Moonwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

I am certified card carrying ride chicken! I don't do coasters or anything that spins (ie teacups). Having said that the only rides I avoid are:

IOA - Hulk, the teacup type thing next to Hulk, Flight of the Hippograff (I did it once with my niece and can do it, just don't care for it) and Dragon Challenge. I do have to close my eyes on the "down" part of Spiderman, but other than that I'm ok.

US - Rip, Ride Rockit and Simpsons. While the Mummy is technically a coaster, its short and in the dark and I can do it once a day. Its one of my favorite rides! I can also only do MIB once a day because the cars can spin quite a bit at the end.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
Nancy for Disney
DIS Veteran

Can someone tell me more about the Mummy. My daughter also does not do coasters. She is my brave child with the exception of coasters. Anyway she does not do dips...so no log flume ride either. Is there a big dip in the Mummy ride?

1973 WDW - 1983 WDW- 1989 Disneyland -2000 Disneyland - 2008 My Family's First Trip to WDW
2009 (Dec) No Kids Trip to Disney: TR LINK http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2330724

Nancy for Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy for Disney View Post
Can someone tell me more about the Mummy. My daughter also does not do coasters. She is my brave child with the exception of coasters. Anyway she does not do dips...so no log flume ride either. Is there a big dip in the Mummy ride?
Revenge of the Mummy is a coaster but there is only one big drop towards the end and it's not really that big. I don't know what you define as a big dip but it's nothing like the other coasters at Universal or IoA.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Revenge of the Mummy is similar to Space Mountain with some stops in between. It is actually very smooth(unlike Space Mountain) and the two coaster parts are quite short. There is a "drop" at the beginning of each of the two coaster sections. Those drops are quite small.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
mom22princesses
Mouseketeer

My family really enjoyed Ripshaw Falls at IOA ... it is a log ride with some fun dips etc. Dr. Doom's Drop was fun too. Either of these would be fine for non-coaster riders.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Third Trip with DDs (7&11) Jan 23-Jan 30 '10 POR [/FONT]
Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IOA & POFQ Jan26 2013 ... Here we come!
mom22princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

Oddly enough, almost every ride there is NOT a roller coaster, they only have a handful of coasters, so there are tons to choose from. I'm not sure where this came from but I've noticed there is a general mis-conception that Universal is more of a roller coaster park, which it is sooooo not at all. Its way more of a themed ride park. Nothing like Cedar Point or Six Flags at all. They only have like 3 or 4 actual coasters, more or less. With that being said, tons of rides, Jurassic Park, Spiderman, the main Harry Potter ride, the Mummy (has coaster characteristics but is a themed ride) and Men In Black are some of my favorites.
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAviator View Post
Oddly enough, almost every ride there is NOT a roller coaster, they only have a handful of coasters, so there are tons to choose from. I'm not sure where this came from but I've noticed there is a general mis-conception that Universal is more of a roller coaster park, which it is sooooo not at all. Its way more of a themed ride park. Nothing like Cedar Point or Six Flags at all. They only have like 3 or 4 actual coasters, more or less. With that being said, tons of rides, Jurassic Park, Spiderman, the main Harry Potter ride, the Mummy (has coaster characteristics but is a themed ride) and Men In Black are some of my favorites.
Would you mind explaining "coaster characteristics",does this mean they feel like you are on a coaster?
Big ride wimps in my family.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

You ride in a coaster like train, it is slow for quite a bit, but it also suddenly catapults out, kind of like the Aerosmith rocking roller coaster and it gets fast for a while.
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
BrinkofSunshine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2mm View Post
Would you mind explaining "coaster characteristics",does this mean they feel like you are on a coaster?
Big ride wimps in my family.
Mummy is half dark ride/half coaster. The ride vehicle moves slowly for the first part of the ride and then halfway through you are launched (like RnR, only not as fast), up a hill and into the coaster portion. I think if you can do Space Mountain at MK you should be able to do Mummy. If not, I'd skip it.
BrinkofSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Thanks guys.

Me and ds will definitely not be partaking!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

I really can't do coasters, but the Mummy is one of my favorite rides. The "coaster" part is over really quickly.

I can't do Space Mountain or Expedition Everest, but I can do the Mummy.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
cgattis
DIS Veteran

I think Mummy is more like Big Thunder than Space Mountain. Personally, it was my favorite ride is US or IOA; loved it enough that I left my whole family on the sidewalk to wait while I re-rode! LOL. Just so you know, my kids didn't like it, but not for the coaster elements--DD hated the mummies (they're a good bit more menacing than the skeletons in Pirates...) and DS hated the fire (which I also loved). Universal tends to use fog, fire, and/or pyro in most every ride.
cgattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:34 AM   #14
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgattis View Post
I think Mummy is more like Big Thunder than Space Mountain. Personally, it was my favorite ride is US or IOA; loved it enough that I left my whole family on the sidewalk to wait while I re-rode! LOL. Just so you know, my kids didn't like it, but not for the coaster elements--DD hated the mummies (they're a good bit more menacing than the skeletons in Pirates...) and DS hated the fire (which I also loved). Universal tends to use fog, fire, and/or pyro in most every ride.
I'm ok on big thunder,that's my limit.
Ds doesn't even like the drop on pirates of the Caribbean,won't ride dinosaur.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: