Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
writersblock42
DIS Veteran

Budget board sure has changed

I recently returned after a 4 year hiatus from the disboards. My last trip was in August 2007 and I stuck around for about a year and half after that. So it has been since early 2009. I remember threads on the budget board such as how people would use washcloths instead of toilet paper to wipe or gather up the fragments of soap in the tub all in an effort to save a buck for Disney. There were some other extreme things, but I would have to look back at my subscribed posts to see. Now, I see things about Abercromie, Dyson, smart phones and staying at the deluxe resorts. Is this a sign of the economy changing finally or maybe just a different crowd now.
On-Site 2007 Caribbean Beach Resort
On-Site 2013 Coronado Springs Resort
writersblock42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
lilmrsellis
Wishing upon a star...

If I'm scrounging up old soap and wiping my behind on washcloths I don't have the cash for a phone or Internet, let alone even thinking of planning a Disney trip. Please Budget Board friends, if those days ever come, tell me to spend my cash on something more worthwhile.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
writersblock42
DIS Veteran

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1342354
Not sure if that link will work but that is the thread with all the cheap things that people did but there were also lots of threads about reusable sanitary pads, and washing sponges, and many other frugal ideas. It certainly is not everyone's cup of tea but everybody spends money in different ways.
On-Site 2007 Caribbean Beach Resort
On-Site 2013 Coronado Springs Resort
writersblock42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
ceecee
DIS Veteran

I've been reading these boards for yrs and don't remember that! I must confess reading these threads have cost me $$$ buying all the great deals that I have to have and didn't know I needed!!!
My best ever deal was the Mickey TV from Sears that cost like $25, DD is still using it!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by writersblock42 View Post
Not sure if that link will work but that is the thread with all the cheap things that people did but there were also lots of threads about reusable sanitary pads, and washing sponges, and many other frugal ideas. It certainly is not everyone's cup of tea but everybody spends money in different ways.
Why would you even want to revisit those threads? They were bat-guano crazy back then and they haven't become any more mainstream in the passing years. Can't we just let them stay dead and buried?

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
disykat
DIS Veteran

I think, even taking out the two extremes of someone using reusable toilet paper or Bill Gates needing advice about how to budget his million dollars to get the best vacation, I agree that the Budget Board is much less about frugality than it used to be.

IMO, it is now more about how to get the best deal to make your vacation budget stretch to stay at nicer hotels, etc. than about those traveling on a bare bones budget trying to afford a basic trip.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
DawnM
Dawn

You had to dredge that up didn't you?

I had forgotten about. I had moved on. I had un-harbored my resentment towards my local Sears that would not honor that deal.

Now I am bitter again.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
I've been reading these boards for yrs and don't remember that! I must confess reading these threads have cost me $$$ buying all the great deals that I have to have and didn't know I needed!!!
My best ever deal was the Mickey TV from Sears that cost like $25, DD is still using it!

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

depends on your definiton of budget.

For me, "budget" is way more than taking value vacations.

For me "budget" is how to get the most value for my hard earned dollars.

for example you mentioned deluxe resorts. Now for my family value resorts are too small and we don't like them. So for me staying at a value is a huge waste of money. So if some one can inform me of a deal at a deluxe, well then that's a good "budget" tip.

No matter what my income level is, I want to spend the least amount, get good quality and save a buck or two.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by writersblock42 View Post
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1342354
Oh my goodness. glad I missed out on those threads.....think I would have
Old 02-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

I remember those threads....I filed it all away in my brain for 'emergency situations'....you never know when you'll need to know that kind of stuff Op is talking about FWIW,I used to enjoy all that kind of stuff.... but there are still plenty of interesting topics here,just keep reading!
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
crisi
DIS Veteran

I love my reusable sanitary napkins, for ecological reasons, not for budget reasons. Through I've had the same set five years. More comfortable. Rinse them out and throw them in the wash. And they are cheaper.

http://www.partypantspads.com/
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #12
plummer925
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
Why would you even want to revisit those threads? They were bat-guano crazy back then and they haven't become any more mainstream in the passing years. Can't we just let them stay dead and buried?
Wow..."bat-guano crazy"? that is so rude. Seriously. I, too, have found the budget board to have changed a LOT the past few years. Just because someone does something different than you does not give you the right to name calling!
plummer925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #13
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
I love my reusable sanitary napkins, for ecological reasons, not for budget reasons.
I've switched away from a lot of disposable products for the same reason (though I draw the line at toilet paper! ) and have generally been happier with the cloth equivalents of paper products.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #14
TwilightGoddess
Earning My Ears

I'm sorry but the true meaning of budget is limiting expenses and sticking to a financial plan. AKA how to save money for a trip, IE: if you have a coupon for cereal that you would have bought anyway, and it was for a dollar, you would take that dollar and put it your "disney jar" and use your coupon. Or have a yard sale etc.. these are just basic ideas.

When I see a disney budget board, to me it means ideas on how to save money for your trip and a support group to help you get there. The fun part is supposed to find new ways to save money.

Bottom line, you set an amount you need to save for your trip, based on the type you want to take whether its a value trip or a deluxe trip. You give each other ideas on how to save more money, not spend more. That defeats the purpose of a budget. I'm also not into extreme thrifting either lol like reusing TP.

Anyway that has been what I traditionally expect from a budget board, its great to have that support to help you save towards your goal!

Mom to a 6 yr old Swash Buckling Pirate

Past Trips:
Disney World 2000
Disney World and Fantasy Cruise Eastern Caribbean 2013
Disney World and Fantasy Cruise Western Caribbean 2014
TwilightGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:00 AM   #15
HHSTigerFan
DIS Veteran

Speaking of this, is Dave Ramsey still around? Used to see him everywhere, now haven't seen or heard him in a year or two, both local stations have dropped his show.
HHSTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: