Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #16
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Reading all this, I just realized why an OL doesn't make sense for us.

We drive - DH has a company car and we pay for the privilege of using it for X miles a year (much less than what it would cost us to buy a new car every 2 or 3 years and maintain the car and pay for gas etc.) so we budget out Disney trips in the car.

We have two huge oversized suitcases I found at thrift stores that can only fly overseas. We keep all our Disney "stuff" in these (Ponchos, routers, power strips, lap blanket, etc.) and when it's time to start packing, I pull it down, check to make sure I don't need to replace anything, toss my clothes in and we go!

I have my own personal OL!

If we ever moved and needed to fly - I would be on the OL like white on rice.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #17
ready123go
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mieuxmew View Post
I am still trying to convince the husband. He reminds me we are flying Jet Blue and get to check 4 bags for free and we made due with 3 bags last trip. He also makes the argument that we could pack a similar sized box that weighs 50 pounds and ship it on FedEx ground, it will cost about $60 round trip. Plus, our stuff is back home, rather than having to buy duplicate mini Keurig, hair dryer, etc. Somehow, I seem to remember being exhausted our first day at Disney only getting two hours of sleep before our flight getting everything packed (Dad had day off to pack, but somehow most of it waited until Mom got home from work).

Once, I did ship a box of toiletries/misc stuff ahead of time and it was SOO much less stressful having the odds and ends packed a week in advance and waiting for us at our resort.

I am not sure an OL makes sense/cents but it sure seems easier! At this point, DH is dead against it. I will have to keep trying.
My DH was initially against it, too. But my time, energy and sanity are worth something. If I am spending loads of time packing, that is time I can't devote to other tasks that need completing. From that point of view, OLs do make sense/cents.

Perhaps you could do something similar to what snarlingcoyote suggested. Get an inexpensive suitcase (TJ Maxx/Marshall's), start slowing purchasing duplicate items (bought on sale, Amazon, etc.), put the new in your home and pack the old in the suitcase. That way you are always ready ahead of time.
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #18
DisneyEater
Mouseketeer

You are both correct.

It is a waste of money in the fact that you not only have to pay for the locker, but also the duplicate things you would be keeping in the locker...and you could probably do it cheaper other ways (i.e. shipping the stuff)

It is also a convenence not to have to think about all this stuff and just make 1 call for it to magically show up when you need it.

Only the 2 of you can really decide if this convenence is worth the cost.

For us right now, we only go 1-2 times a year like you with the kids and we just don't feel it is worth the cost. When it is just the 2 of us, I imagine we will make more weekend and last minute trips and may reconsider at that point.
DisneyEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #19
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Check it out here:
https://www.ownerslocker.com/

As I said earlier, I love having bit of home with me.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #20
Julylady
DIS Veteran

I too debated about whether the cost would be recouped. Threads like these helped me understand that it's about convienence and less stress while getting ready for a trip. If all the stress falls on you rather than your husband, he is never going to see any value.

It is important though to know exactly what is in your locker. That means taking some time while still on your trip to repack the locker and note those things that need replacing. We keep a coat and rain coat for everyone. Basic toiletries (shampoo, shower gel, toothpaste, etc.), pajamas for all, laundry soap and softener, a wide variety of items that you would find in a medicine cabinet, and some kitchen items. We have it delivered to both hotel rooms and DVC units. I love having my locker, but it doesn't save me any money.
Julylady is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: