Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
ktrask
Mouseketeer

Target debit card question

I have a Target Debit card and would like to use it to buy gift cards for Disney...yay saving 5%.

Does anyone know how the maximum allowed charge per day is figured? Is it based on what your bank regulations are for debit purchases per day?

If we decide to stay on property I'd like to at least buy enough to cover the dining plan (probably more) because by doing that we would actually make out on the dining plan. (I just spent the last hour doing an analasys based on places we would visit if we had the plan) My Target always has plenty of cards, but only in $50 denominations. So I'd need close to 20. To cover the dining plan and a little extra. Probably around 50+ to cover the trip.
ktrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Momof5cg
Earning My Ears

I am paying for entire trip using cards. (All 5 kids 1st time!) Buying a bunch at a time. Bought 50 at 1x ($50 ea - broken into 10 transactions - should've been $500 but each transaction came to $475). After 5th transaction could not use card. Rejected my $13 purchase for kids socks. I believe target locks u out because I used my bank debit card to pay the $13 w/ no problem. We will save $475 on our CBR stay w/dining plan which would be $5600 w/out cards. Worth it for our fam of 7! Every penny helps. ( That savings is same as 2 airline tix). Good luck!
Momof5cg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Momof5cg
Earning My Ears

Sorry! Meant to say I did FIVE transactions w/10 cards in each. ($475 total each time). Not 10 transactions!
Momof5cg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
disneylove69
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof5cg View Post
I am paying for entire trip using cards. (All 5 kids 1st time!) Buying a bunch at a time. Bought 50 at 1x ($50 ea - broken into 10 transactions - should've been $500 but each transaction came to $475). After 5th transaction could not use card. Rejected my $13 purchase for kids socks. I believe target locks u out because I used my bank debit card to pay the $13 w/ no problem. We will save $475 on our CBR stay w/dining plan which would be $5600 w/out cards. Worth it for our fam of 7! Every penny helps. ( That savings is same as 2 airline tix). Good luck!
Many retailers shut down customers like this because there are alot of scammers who steal credit cards or credit card numbers and then buy gift cards which are sold on the street. So they limit one time transactions within a time period.
disneylove69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
mommy2twingles
Mouseketeer

I am paying for a whole trip plus cruise by doing this. I get the pharmacy extra 5% coupon about once a month. Once I receive it I go to the store and buy a bunch of gift cards. I have easily purchased $1000 at one time. While the cashier looked at me funny and asked if I really wanted all the cards I had no problems checking out.

mommy2twingles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
lolobug
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2twingles
I am paying for a whole trip plus cruise by doing this. I get the pharmacy extra 5% coupon about once a month. Once I receive it I go to the store and buy a bunch of gift cards. I have easily purchased $1000 at one time. While the cashier looked at me funny and asked if I really wanted all the cards I had no problems checking out.
Is the pharmacy coupon an additional 5% ( 5% for red card too)?
lolobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
jana616
DIS Veteran

I did this last year and called the Red Card customer service to ask. They told me you build up "credit" with them over time, based on how often you use it. Since I had had my Target debit card for about 2 years and use it 2-4 times a week, they told me I would be able to use it for the $1500 I was planning to buy with no problem, and I was. I did three $500 transactions.

2009 PTR! 100 Days til Our First Family Trip!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2190617
jana616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
disneyeveryyear
Not fully packed until she gets on the plane and then there’s always Wal-Mart!
Disney Lover!!!! (I think I am addicted to exclamation points!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolobug View Post
Yes, and occassionally they will send you an extra 5% off. You can stack them (at least I did). I saved a ton on my disney trip by buying Disney cards and also for buy gift cards for the chain restaurants we were planning to eat at.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
*Seanaci*
DIS-obsessed and proud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolobug

Yes. While it is only good for use on one day, you can use the pharmacy 5% coupon multiple times during that day.

Me(34), DH(43), DS(6), DM(56), DG(61)
*Seanaci* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana616 View Post
I did this last year and called the Red Card customer service to ask. They told me you build up "credit" with them over time, based on how often you use it. Since I had had my Target debit card for about 2 years and use it 2-4 times a week, they told me I would be able to use it for the $1500 I was planning to buy with no problem, and I was. I did three $500 transactions.
Why would it matter, when you're not actually building up *credit*? It comes directly out of your checking acct.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
vitacura
Live Long and Prosper

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Why would it matter, when you're not actually building up *credit*? It comes directly out of your checking acct.
When someone opens a debit card account at target it starts with a limit. Usually between 300-500. It goes up after they see you build a history of using the card and always have the funds for them to debit.
vitacura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #12
aleask
Wishes522

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
It doesn't come out instantly, infact they take a couple days with my bank before I even see the pending charge in my account. So my guess is that even though it is a debit card they are in a sense extending you credit until their system pulls the money from your account.

I tried to figure out how much they would allow me and I think they capped me at about $2k or $2500, but I convinced them to let me use a different credit card to buy the rest that I wanted and still extend the 5% savings. I used my Airmiles card, got the 5% off plus the miles

Daddy and Audrey
aleask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

The Target debit card just connects to your existing bank account? and is it only valid at Target?
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #14
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc
The Target debit card just connects to your existing bank account? and is it only valid at Target?
Correct.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
thorphin
DIS Veteran

This is troubling. We just got our 5% coupon and I planned to go into Target and grab $2000 in gift cards. It's starting to sound like this won't be possible, even with multiple transactions...??

'83, '84: Fort Wilderness...'84: Golf Resort
'88, '93: Disney Inn..........'95, '98: Off Property
'00: Dixie Landings...........'02: PO Riverside
'05: Beach Club Villas.......'09, '10 PO Riverside
09/2013: Poly!
thorphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: