Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
15isto2
DIS Veteran

International Driving Permit for Florida

Juat a heads up in case anyone has not read the threads on the DIBB and V Flyer but it appears that as on 1st Jan 2013 you now need an international drivers permit to dirve in Florida, the hire companies appear not to have caught on but it has ben sugested that not having one may invalidate your car hire insurance

15isto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

I saw some chat about this on FB yesterday. I have still to see anything which states it is now an official requirement. Most places I have looked, inlcuding the US Embassy, say that it might be useful to have one but not that they are definitely required. I have also read that you only need one if your driving licence is not in English.

I am not personally going to get my knickers in a twist over it until I see something official.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
15isto2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
I saw some chat about this on FB yesterday. I have still to see anything which states it is now an official requirement. Most places I have looked, inlcuding the US Embassy, say that it might be useful to have one but not that they are definitely required. I have also read that you only need one if your driving licence is not in English.

I am not personally going to get my knickers in a twist over it until I see something official.
http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/322.04

I assume you will accept the florida senate as officcial?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
Magic Megadegs
Mouseketeer

For the sake of £5.50 it's probably worth getting one.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/internat...driving-permit

We'll now have to figure out how to do this from Jersey!

Dec / Jan 1990/1991 Villa Xmas, August 1993 I Drive, November 2001 I Drive, August 2003 I Drive Honeymoon , Dec / Jan 2010/2011 Reunion Resort Xmas, August 2013 Caribe Royale & Old Key West Resort , February 2014 Holiday Inn Resort LBV
Magic Megadegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
wilma-bride

DISboards Moderator

There is no need for the sarcasm OP

As usual, official government documentation not the easiest to understand but it says that non-residents are exempt (as far as I can tell).

From the document:

322.04Persons exempt from obtaining driver license.

(c)A nonresident who is at least 16 years of age operating a motor vehicle of the type for which a Class E driver license is required in this state if the nonresident has in his or her immediate possession:
1.A valid noncommercial driver license issued in his or her name from another state or territory of the United States; or

2.An International Driving Permit issued in his or her name in his or her country of residence and a valid license issued in that country.

I still maintain that, if this was law, you would not be allowed to hire a car without showing an IDP along with your driving licence.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
15isto2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There is no need for the sarcasm OP

As usual, official government documentation not the easiest to understand but it says that non-residents are exempt (as far as I can tell).

From the document:

322.04Persons exempt from obtaining driver license.

(c)A nonresident who is at least 16 years of age operating a motor vehicle of the type for which a Class E driver license is required in this state if the nonresident has in his or her immediate possession:
1.A valid noncommercial driver license issued in his or her name from another state or territory of the United States; or

2.An International Driving Permit issued in his or her name in his or her country of residence and a valid license issued in that country.

At the risk of an accusation of sarcasm again when did the UK become a "state or teratory of the united states"

Old 02-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
wilma-bride

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15isto2 View Post
At the risk of an accusation of sarcasm again when did the UK become a "state or teratory of the united states"
You are right, I did not quote the correct part.

Personally, I read the statute as the need to obtain a Florida driver's licence if resident in the state. I do not believe that it applies to out-of-state visitors. That is my right (and my risk to take). If you believe it is law then obtain an IDP and others can make up their minds accordingly.

I will reiterate once again, though, that if you are not asked to present an IDP when renting a car, it canot be law and my understanding is that, as long as the police accept that your driving licence is valid in the country of origin, it wouldn't be a problem. The issue arises when/if the local police cannot verify that you hold a valid driving licence from your own country of residence.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

I don't know if there has been any change but I think the advice has always been to get an IDP. I did an exchange to the US when I was at University and they recommended I get one. I never did, but I'm sure that was the advice.

Surely, contacting your car hire company before you travel would soon clarify matters.

I booked recently through BA (Fly Drive) and it is not on any of the paperwork I received.

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
Red-Snapper
DIS Veteran

Whats with the snotty attitude OP ?

Its pretty clear that for such a huge issue - people/companies/authorities that should take notice havent - therefore there is obviously a high degree of uncertainty around this.

I have for instance seen it suggested that the site you quote above has been clumsily worded and the actual intent was to stop long term residents using their own cars from continuing to drive on foreign licences. It may be that the knock on effect means we toursits using hire cars are also affected or it may be they clarify/re-write it.

Time will tell - meanwhile if travelling soon its obviously better to be safe than sorry. However to date (6 weeks in) noone has reported - 1) being asked for an IDP by the hire company - or 2) running into trouble over it after being involved in an accident/claim.
Red-Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
15isto2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I will reiterate once again, though, that if you are not asked to present an IDP when renting a car, it canot be law and my understanding is that, as long as the police accept that your driving licence is valid in the country of origin, it wouldn't be a problem. The issue arises when/if the local police cannot verify that you hold a valid driving licence from your own country of residence.
I hope for your sake you are correct..

Just a thought though, the LAW requires you have both parts of your drivers licence, in 20 years of visiting florida I have NEVER been asked for both parts, sort of disproves your argument. Of course I could always throw myself at the mercy of the police and argue that the hire company did not tell me, it might work.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
wilma-bride

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Just a thought though, the LAW requires you have both parts of your drivers licence, in 20 years of visiting florida I have NEVER been asked for both parts, sort of disproves your argument. Of course I could always throw myself at the mercy of the police and argue that the hire company did not tell me, it might work.
And I have been asked for BOTH parts on 4 out of 6 occasions.

OP, I am not telling you NOT to get an IDP, only saying that (until I am told otherwise) I won't be worrying about getting one myself.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
Kath2003
DIS Veteran

Given it's a state with 1 billion international tourists visiting each year, you'd think if they wanted it done, they'd be a little more vocal about it? Hiding it away in a document most tourists would never check is bonkers.

As for the both parts of the driver's license - given that you need both parts as proof of the validity of your license, I'd always assume you needed both, as you would in the UK (neither alone is "the license" ergo you need both). But this seems IDP issue bonkers, not least when they're so vocal about other documentation (ESTA etc).

Thanks for the heads up, though. Just another reason for us to keep riding the bus
Old 02-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:

I don't know who you have been hiring with but since I started travelling to FL and hiring cars there, the only time I was not asked for both parts of my licence, was before the photocard was introduced. Both times last year (February with Alamo & July with Dollar) I was asked for both parts, but the paper part was given back straight away and the photocard was used to complete the transaction.

I don't know whether or not there has been a change and I'm not disputing whether or not you are correct on your original post, but I have always been asked for both parts of my licence.

UPDATE: As I said in a previous post, I have my car hire booked (through BA) for October '13 and I have just looked at the paperwork fine print just to check. My car hire is with AVIS and the paperwork states as follows:

A full driving licence will need to be held for a minimum of one year. An international driving licencce is required for licences in non-roman alphabet.

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012

Last edited by MrRomance; 02-10-2013 at 11:40 AM.
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
RobynPrincess
Looking around

Quote:
And I have been asked for BOTH parts on 4 out of 6 occasions.

OP, I am not telling you NOT to get an IDP, only saying that (until I am told otherwise) I won't be worrying about getting one myself.
I'm with you, when the online ESTA came about and the charge it was everywhere, TA's told you about it, online it was everywhere, tops of forums etc. When it gets like that for the Driving licence I will sort it. Until then I reserve judgement.
RobynPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
catherine
Hey not fair, you guys already have a bunch of tags, and poor me I haven't got one
Cheer up. You've been tagged by the tag fairie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomance;47462199
UPDATE: As I said in a previous post, I have my car hire booked (through BA) for October '13 and I have just looked at the paperwork fine print just to check. My car hire is with AVIS and the paperwork states as follows:

[I
A full driving licence will need to be held for a minimum of one year. An international driving licencce is required for licences in non-roman alphabet.[/I]
I also checked our booking with Alamo through Holiday Autos and it states pretty much the same thing!

"In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity." Albert Einstein

catherine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: