Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Welcome to the DIS
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
LikeSeriously
Mouseketeer

Totally Overwhelmed!

I a, so excited to be planning our trip for the first time. I have a 7 year old and we all went to Disney 4 years ago. However, my ILs planned that trip and we stayed off-site. So this is my first time taking care of the arrangements. I want to go big but still have a budget. We will likely not be able to make this trip every year. So while she is still little, I want to make the most of it.

I'm not exactly sure where to start though. I have some definite plans and some things I'm flexible on. I know we are going the week of October 6th, but arrival and departure dates can vary through both weekends. I know we want to stay at the Art of Animation, and I know we want park passes and a dining plan.

I think I would like to book on my own, no travel agents. With all that said, where do I start? I have signed up with DisneyVacations.com but don't know if that's the best way to book or not.

Also, if I book now and end up with a pin/code for rooms or dining, will I be able to use them still? Even if I am paid in full?

Thanks so very much for any information.
LikeSeriously is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
RubenCamacho
Earning My Ears

relaaaaax. planning your own vacation is easy and I love being able to pay attention to every detail in this process.

I like to plan my trips when the flights are cheapest. If you have that freedom, book the flights at the same time you are ready to put a down payment to book your vacation on disneys site. That's the biggest issue right there. Fly out as early as possible , while check in is usually in the afternoon you can just hop on a bus into a park while they ready your room.

Once your flight is booked enter your flight info and get magical express, they take care of your luggage. Any extras a quick call to a Disney agent will help you with ANYthing and I mean anything. Want a special room? Want a food plan? Want gifts waiting for you when you get there? they set you up.

you really don't need a travel agent. what I do recommend is , once everything is booked look up different tricks to help you during the week like getting your own water, taking some snacks with you , the travel kits needed, aspirin, etc...

once you are there just let go...
RubenCamacho is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Welcome!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

My answers are in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeSeriously View Post
I a, so excited to be planning our trip for the first time. I have a 7 year old and we all went to Disney 4 years ago. However, my ILs planned that trip and we stayed off-site. So this is my first time taking care of the arrangements. I want to go big but still have a budget. We will likely not be able to make this trip every year. So while she is still little, I want to make the most of it.

I'm not exactly sure where to start though. I have some definite plans and some things I'm flexible on. I know we are going the week of October 6th, but arrival and departure dates can vary through both weekends. I know we want to stay at the Art of Animation, and I know we want park passes and a dining plan.

Sounds like you're off to a fine start to me! You have your dates picked out, you know where you want to stay, you know you want MYW tickets and the dining plan - that's a great beginning!

I think I would like to book on my own, no travel agents. With all that said, where do I start? I have signed up with DisneyVacations.com but don't know if that's the best way to book or not.

If you want to book on your own, you can call the 407-W-DISNEY line or book online directly with WDW. Either way, you're in control of your reservation with no TA involved.

Also, if I book now and end up with a pin/code for rooms or dining, will I be able to use them still? Even if I am paid in full?

Yes, if you receive a pin code or discount and you are paid in full, you can still have the discount applied; however, there are a few things to keep in mind.

1. If you get a code and the only rooms available are for a different category than what you're already booked under (ie: garden view instead of standard), you would be charged a $50 change fee to change the reservation if you are within 45 days of your arrival day. Outside of 45 days, no change fee as far as I know.

2. Sometimes, though, depending on how deep the discount is, you could still come out ahead even with the $50 charge. You have to do the math to see.

3. As long as there is a room available for what you're already booked under (ie: you booked a garden view and there is a discount available in that category), you wouldn't be changing the reservation, and they would just apply the credit/discount to your credit card.

Thanks so very much for any information.
If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.

Last edited by BearcatsFan; 02-12-2013 at 09:42 PM.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote