Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
Luvin*Livvy
Mouseketeer

Sony Handycam....do you recommend it? Which?

I'm looking at getting my husband a new video camera for his birthday next month...and before our April trip. We need a decent video camera that's small, takes great video and that I can turn into home movies or video montages...so easy to use with my MAC (iMovie, etc). Obvii I need it for Disney, but also for other stuff...sports, holidays, beach trips, school concerts, etc...

I'm just confused on all the different ones....I am totally clueless on the models. We don't video A LOT...but we do like taking videos! Do I need one with a certain amount of GBs?

Pretend you are explaining it to a 5year old....and please point me in the right direction and where can I get a good deal on one?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Mommy to Olivia (7) & Ava(4)*~*~

Our 2012 Trip Videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTqhCZ9Y8Ds For mobile devices you can watch here: https://vimeo.com/59347155
Luvin*Livvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
Hulagirlie2003
Earning My Ears

Smile Video camera

Hello there! We used to have the Sony Handycam. As it has been quite some time since we have had a Sony I can't recommend it to you. However, I can recommend the Panasonic HDC-SD60 (1920x1080). We've had this camera for a few years now and it is small, easy to navigate and manipulate, and records a decent HD image for the money. In addition to capturing video images it also allows you take still pictures and allows you to record in various special effect modes. I would definitely recommend it.
Hulagirlie2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
havoc315
DIS Veteran

We used to use seperate digital video cameras, but have found they have become superfluous over the last few years. A decent smart phone or compact camera produces high quality video. A separate device really isn't a "necessity" anymore.
Personally, I'd only consider a separate device if I wanted a waterproof video camera inside the pool.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
mcraige
DIS Veteran

I've had a Sony Handycam DCR-SX63 for several years now and really like it. It takes better video than my phone, and I never have to worry about running out of space (have multiple SD cards). Plus, unlike my DSLR that can only record about 10 minutes of video at a time, I can setup my Handycam for parades, F!, etc. and record the entire thing.

I just looked at Sony's current lineup and wish I could justify upgrading to a HD model. I took a quick look at the specs for the HDR-CX190/B X, HDR-CX200/B X, and HDR-CX210/B and the only major difference is the latter 2 include some internal memory, whereas the first doesn't have any internal memory. That doesn't really matter, since you will purchase a SD card anyway.
Disney World May 1998 - Off Site; September 1998 - Off Site; October 1999 - Off Site; March 2000 - All Star Music; March 2002 - All Star Movies; March 2004 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2006 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); December 2007 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); November 2010 - Old Key West (DVC); July 2011 - Off Site; November 2012 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2013 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); May/June 2014 - Beach Club Villas/Kidani Village Vero Beach March 2004, July 2009 Disney Cruise Line May 2003, July 2009 Disneyland December 2002/January 2003 - Off Site; August 2008 - Off Site
mcraige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvin*Livvy View Post
I'm looking at getting my husband a new video camera for his birthday next month...and before our April trip. We need a decent video camera that's small, takes great video and that I can turn into home movies or video montages...so easy to use with my MAC (iMovie, etc). Obvii I need it for Disney, but also for other stuff...sports, holidays, beach trips, school concerts, etc...

I'm just confused on all the different ones....I am totally clueless on the models. We don't video A LOT...but we do like taking videos! Do I need one with a certain amount of GBs?

Pretend you are explaining it to a 5year old....and please point me in the right direction and where can I get a good deal on one?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
A lot comes down to the features you want.

As havoc315 pointed out, many of the current smartphones make awesome video cameras. But they do come up short if you want optical zoom. They also tend to lack the image stabilization you'll find on some cameras. Then there is the question of budget. It's really going to dictate where you'd look once you decide if you want the zoom and IS and what other features you may want.

As far as good deals... video camera prices are a lot like still camera prices. They're regulated somewhat by the manufacturer. Places like B&H and Adorama tend to have competitive prices with great customer service. Big box stores like Best Buy will get you the prices but they have awful service.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: