Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
cowcrazy65
Mouseketeer

Boat transportation

We want to go from AK to DTD @ lunch time. It was suggested we take a bus to Saratoga and boat to DTD, but I see before 4pm the boat only runs every hour. I could not find how often the boats ran from the Port Orleans resorts? They look like they are quite a bit futher away from DTD. Maybe just take the bus directly from AK to DTD or would it still make since to just wait it out @ Saratoga. I would not mind looking around there, if we just missed the boat. Do they post when the next boat is going so we would know our time frame when we arrived on the bus?
cowcrazy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
partypa
Mouseketeer

We have found the Quickest way would be to take the next bus to the Animal Kingdom Lodge ( about a 5 minute ride ) and transfer to the Downtown Disney Bus there. You could go have a look around the Lodge, it's amazing. After you are done at Downtown Disney, you can, just for Fun, take the Boat to Saratoga Springs or just walk over. You can also take the nice and relaxing Boat ride to Port Orleans French Quarter and Port Orleans Riverside. So many Resorts and transportation options
partypa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
siskaren
DIS Veteran

According to http://www.portorleans.org/ferryboats.php, the boats to DTD run every 20 minutes from 10 am to 4:30 pm, then every 10 minutes from 4:30 to 11 pm. I'm curious though where you read that the boat from SSR only runs once an hour before 4:00. I just checked allears.net and it says every 20 minutes all day. Also, there isn't a direct bus between AK and DTD, so you'd have to go through a resort to get there.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowcrazy65 View Post
It was suggested we take a bus to Saratoga and boat to DTD, but I see before 4pm the boat only runs every hour.
I'm curious as to where you read that.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
cowcrazy65
Mouseketeer

I read it on here, under the main heading for Transportation. Under the basic info about ME, boats/ferries, Limo's, monorail. Not on the disboard. Well thanks for clearing it up. They do have it in BOLD type, so you can not miss it.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
cowcrazy65
Mouseketeer

To get to DTD you must go to a resort then to DTD? NO parks to DTD? I knew it was the hub----since you can not go from resort to resort. Thanks!

Last edited by cowcrazy65; 02-09-2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowcrazy65 View Post
To get to DTD you must got resort to DTD? NO parks to DTD? I knew it was the hub----since you can not go from resort to resort. Thanks!
Yes. There were too many people parking at DTD for free and then taking the buses to the parks (and thus crowding the parking at DTD). Therefore, they did away with the DTD transport to and from the parks.

OP, I'd grab a bus to AKL and then from AKL to DTD.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

I just take the first bus going to any resort and then get off at the first stop (if it stops at multiple resorts). That way you know you don't have to wait for the first bus (since there's always a bus leaving for somewhere). AKL is the closest resort (by far) but if you wind up waiting 30 minutes for it, you'd have been better off taking a different one.

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
joelkfla
DIS Veteran

The buses from SSR to DTD do run every 20 minutes, from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.

But -- the walk from the nearest bus stop (Springs) to the SSR boat dock is just under a quarter mile. The walk from the Congress Park stop to DTD Marketplace is less than a half mile. So in less than 5 minutes more than it would take to walk to the boat dock, you could walk all the way to DTD.

The boat from SSR docks at PI at DTD. If you're planning to dine at PI or West Side, it might make sense. Otherwise, walking will almost always get you there faster.
joelkfla is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: