DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
hollypoast
"Perfect is the enemy of the good.... simply starting plays a bigger role in your success than any other factor."
 
hollypoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 609

Best way to sell a small DVC contract...

I have two DVC contracts and I am considering selling our second, smaller contract as it seems to just add confusion to our planning.

The Timeshare Store charges a hefty commission (my opinion) but maybe it's justified by their exposure and service.

Where and what is the best way to sell this type of contract? Any advice would be great appreciated.
hollypoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
lodge
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 841

Fidelity's charge of $195 on top of it would make your small point contract either too expensive or will cut into your profit (if they buyer decides to lower their offering price trying to compensate for this extra fee.... as later in this thread it was mentioned by others the fee gets passed on to the buyer).

I'll be curious to see what others think is the best option for you. Good luck.
__________________

Last edited by lodge; 02-04-2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: clarification
lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
hollypoast
"Perfect is the enemy of the good.... simply starting plays a bigger role in your success than any other factor."
 
hollypoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 609

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodge View Post
Fidelity's charge of $195 on top of it would make your small point contract either too expensive or will cut into your profit.

I'll be curious to see what others think is the best option for you. Good luck.
What do you mean by "Fidelity's charge"? I'm new to selling... is this a fee on top of a commission paid to an agency?
hollypoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV
 
puffkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 8,990

I'm pretty sure Fidelity charges 10% to the sellers which is pretty standard. The $195 is charged to the buyers....but of course is negotiable.

Such a small contract will move really fast regardless of who you use unless it is way over priced.
__________________
~Kelly~

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
puffkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,489

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollypoast View Post
... I am considering selling our second, smaller contract as it seems to just add confusion to our planning.
I've never sold a contract so have no direct input on your question, sorry. I was curious about your statement that the smaller contract adds confusion to your planning. We have three contracts total, one of which is 25-points. As all three are from the same resort and, more importantly, same UY -- the points all behave as if they were a single pool of points. We've not experienced any issues based on the multiple contracts or their sizes. Personally, I've long felt that even if I should someday downscale my DVC holdings, I intend to retain the small contract for the owner benefits (assuming the 'perks' are continued).

What kinds of confusion are you suffering with the contract? Is it same UY as your larger account? Same resort?

Best wishes with your deliberations!
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
lodge
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 841

Yes. I'm drawing a blank currently on what it's called, but has been discussed on several threads. That extra fee would REALLY cut into a small contracts price (as others have noted, from the buyers perspective). I've been wondering, since I heard of it, whether this is why I don't see many small ones on Fidelity's DVC site.

I'll see if I can find something about it and send a link to the thread for you to see what I'm talking about.

Here's a few references to the fee: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=16

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=23
__________________

Last edited by lodge; 02-04-2013 at 12:11 PM. Reason: links to thread references
lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
Breyean
DVC Since '93
 
Breyean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 998

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollypoast View Post
What do you mean by "Fidelity's charge"? I'm new to selling... is this a fee on top of a commission paid to an agency?
As of Jan 1, Fidelity started charging BUYERS a flat $195 "admin fee" for every contract, no matter what the size or dollar amount.

So, unlike with the commission charged to the sellers, which is a percentage of the sales price, this buyer's fee is the same dollar amount no matter how small the contract.

This will result in smaller contracts having to absorb maybe a couple of extra dollars per point, so buyers will need to factor that into their offers.

For example, I am in ROFR with a Fidelity contract - 125 points at $90, so purchase price (excluding closing and mf) s/b $11,250. But add the $195 fee to that adds another $1.56 per point to my cost. That same week, another buyer did a 600 point contract at $88, so the fee's impact is only 30 cents per point.

That's what the impact could be on small contracts offered by Fidelity - buyers might offer less knowing $195 has to go to Fidelity so the seller might lose out some cash, esp with smaller contracts.
Breyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
DizBub
Totally Addicted
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 2,005

IMHO you could price that high enough to cover the commission fee.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
hollypoast
"Perfect is the enemy of the good.... simply starting plays a bigger role in your success than any other factor."
 
hollypoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 609

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
I've never sold a contract so have no direct input on your question, sorry. I was curious about your statement that the smaller contract adds confusion to your planning. We have three contracts total, one of which is 25-points. As all three are from the same resort and, more importantly, same UY -- the points all behave as if they were a single pool of points. We've not experienced any issues based on the multiple contracts or their sizes. Personally, I've long felt that even if I should someday downscale my DVC holdings, I intend to retain the small contract for the owner benefits (assuming the 'perks' are continued).

What kinds of confusion are you suffering with the contract? Is it same UY as your larger account? Same resort?

Best wishes with your deliberations!
Different resort and different use year. We also own 160 points at AKV.

We thought it would be fun to do a split stay every three years or so but we prefer to stay put once we arrive.
hollypoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
Missyrose
DIS Veteran
 
Missyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Va.
Posts: 7,117

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodge View Post
Yes. I'm drawing a blank currently on what it's called, but has been discussed on several threads. That extra fee would REALLY cut into a small contracts price (as others have noted, from the buyers perspective). I've been wondering, since I heard of it, whether this is why I don't see many small ones on Fidelity's DVC site.

I'll see if I can find something about it and send a link to the thread for you to see what I'm talking about.

Here's a few references to the fee: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=16

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=23
The threads here and on other boards have made it clear that the $195 admin fee is charged to the buyer (and most of the time the buyer isn't told until after an agreement on price), the only real way for a buyer to take the sting out of the fee is to lower their per-point offer to compensate for the added fee.

10 percent commissions are pretty standard across the board for selling DVC contracts.
__________________
Missy Franklin (Pixel Dust) | Facebook: World of Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy | Current TR: 8/14, 5/14 Past TR: 10/13, 1/13, 5/13, 10/12, 3/12 , 10/11, 10/10
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,489

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollypoast View Post
Different resort and different use year. We also own 160 points at AKV.

We thought it would be fun to do a split stay every three years or so but we prefer to stay put once we arrive.
Oh, we sooooo agree! Thanks and sorry to be nosy. Yep, I think I'd find points of different resort and UY a bit "sticky" as well. Hope it all works smoothly for you!
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran
 
lovin'fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,892

As well as charging that $195 fee (that turns some buyers off) Fidelity doesn't work late evenings or on the weekends like other brokers do (so if someone wants to make an offer on your contract late Friday or Saturday morning, they will not be able to until Monday)...just food for thought.
__________________
DVC since 2006
Next trip(s): Nov 3-6 at VWL
Aug 8-14 at BWV and AKV

Last edited by lovin'fl; 02-04-2013 at 12:49 PM.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
::danielle::
Mouseketeer
 
::danielle::'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 404

Pardon my naivete, but couldn't any Florida licensed real estate agent technically sell it for you?

I would bet there are many people who would be happy to bypass the whole "small-contract DVC resale negotiations via a broker" process as long as there is a neutral third party who makes sure that the legal procedures are followed.
__________________


"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever." ~Walt Disney.



Disneyland 2009 (Candy Cane Inn)

Disney World March 2-11 2012 (POP, WBC, POR split stay)

Disney World Dec 14-21 (BLT)
::danielle:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,981

In my opinion, the extra exposure and bump in price that you will get by listing with a broker will negate any money you lose by paying them a commission. Yes, 10% seems like a lot, but I feel that brokers provide a value that justifies paying this commission.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #15
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffkin View Post
I'm pretty sure Fidelity charges 10% to the sellers which is pretty standard. The $195 is charged to the buyers....but of course is negotiable.
I am someone who tries to negotiate everything when buying resales. The majority of my offers include sellers paying the closing cost and my not reimbursing maintenance fees. That being said, I think that the chance of getting the seller to pay the $195 "buyer's fee" is an extreme long shot.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.