Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #31
1mama2three
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla4fun View Post
I wouldn't necessarily write off a hotel because they had bedbugs at one time or another. They can happen at any hotel - it's what the hotel does when it happens that counts. You can get them in your luggage when you fly, or when you leave the luggage at bell services as well. The best thing to do is a thorough inspection of the room before you bring your luggage in, especially if you are driving to a hotel. I always leave my luggage in the car, check in, go to inspect the room for bedbugs and major maintenance issues, and then I bring the luggage in.

Sorry OP that you had to go through this. I would definitely be questioning the fact that the linens were soiled from the previous guests - that is wrong on SO many levels!
You're absolutely right...it can happen anywhere. Sad, but true. Just checking the room can save a lot of heartache. Also, when you return home...don't bring anything in the house until you've checked it or washed and dried it. From now on, our luggage will be stored in our shed. Not taking any other chances.
Sept/Oct 2004...our honeymoon @ POP!, Disneyland off-site: July 2005, POP: Jan/Feb 2010, POP: Jan/Feb 2011, WBC/POP: May/June 2012WBC/CR GW: Jan. 2013, AKV/BLT: Jan. 2014, POR: July 2014, VGF/Old Key West: Nov/Dec 2014
1mama2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #32
1mama2three
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlindemer View Post
Like the others, I'm sorry this happened to you. As a GM of a property in Orlando, I know that bed bugs can be anywhere. They are at Disney. They can be at Wyndham. They have probably been in every hotel in Orlando. I cannot confirm, but with the number of International travelers and US travelers that go through airports, etc. they are going to transfer. Cleanliness of a place has nothing ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with bed bugs. If the condo had been vacant for a while it is easy for the bed bugs to multiply and housekeeping miss them. They hide very well, and are usually hiding in the box springs. The bed bug fecal matter could have occurred after housekeeping changed the sheets.

That said, the way that the hotel handled the situation is completely unacceptable. They should have dried your belongings, washed them, and then dried them again. You should have been transferred to another room so that the entire room could be treated.

I hope that you received your money back. If not, please call the Health Department. They will assist you with matters like these. I know our hotel ensures that every guest leaves satisfied with their stay.
I had thought about that...that maybe the room hadn't been used for a while, but when we checked in they told us that we couldn't have the room right away because they were still prepping it/turning it over from the last guests. So, maybe they just told us that because we were checking in early?

Also, I want to give credit where credit is due...they did wash/dry ALL of our clothing and personal blankets. They offered to wash our pillows but we tossed them. They also did transfer us rooms that day...3 floors up...which is why it didn't make sense that they didn't treat the whole condo. Funny enough, when we got to the new room, we realized that they had set all the washed laundry on our BEDS. Gah! Granted, it was the new (hopefully) bed bug free room, but still, there was a whole dining room table cleared off right by the door. I say hopefully bed-bug free because our treated and untreated stuff got moved to that room for the rest of our stay!

Aside from getting some certificates for food, a stroller rental, and some diapers...we didn't get anything, and we had to ask for those things. The AGM said they couldn't give out any cash/refunds...just some replacements. You sound like you're a GM that cares a lot...hopefully if/when we ever come to Florida, we get a place run like your's instead.
Sept/Oct 2004...our honeymoon @ POP!, Disneyland off-site: July 2005, POP: Jan/Feb 2010, POP: Jan/Feb 2011, WBC/POP: May/June 2012WBC/CR GW: Jan. 2013, AKV/BLT: Jan. 2014, POR: July 2014, VGF/Old Key West: Nov/Dec 2014
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #33
baler31
DIS Veteran

I am most concerned with how the management responded to the problem.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #34
1mama2three
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohamom View Post
WOW! I am so sorry to hear this happened to your family but I do think you should report it to the BBR as well as at least letting the person or service who you rented from know so that they can deal with Wyndham directly. Can you imagine the poor family or families who rent it next? You dont have to approach it from a refund point of view if that is not what you are after, just an informative email so that they can take care of it and make sure it doesnt happen again, I would hope!
I spoke to my husband about this, and he's emailing them today. I agree that it should NEVER happen to anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
so sorry this happened to you.

in your situation just might not go to Disney for a year or two.

hope you and your family get better soon and you get a lot better!
Yeah, my husband says returning home after a trip to our happy place with the idea of paying another $2000 each time (for replacement of belongings OR bed bug treatment) just doesn't seem so cost effective. The last two times...doing a budget Disney vacation hasn't really worked in our favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampc3 View Post
sorry that happened to you OP... what room was it? I feel all scratcy just reading this stuff yuck!!
It was on the 10th floor, facing EPCOT. Can't remember the exact number right now...I'm at work and that info is at home. Sorry!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #35
dsamama
Earning My Ears

Wow i am so so sorry this happened to you. I can't tell you how disturbing this is to hear considering we just booked our stay at WBC for october.

I am glad you are getting the word out though. THey really should be checking more if it has been an issue. And I agree they should have done more for you. Goodness that would have ruined my whole vacation.

I do think it is a good idea though for the renters of these places to know about this problem...I am sure they would not want their business ruined by guests not wanting to stay there and they may have more pull if they all demand that the place is checked and treated proerly. If I were you I would contact vacation upgrades and vacation strategy and farrells since those rent out to so many people at this place. I would not want other families to haveto go through this. Also if you do have anything with the room number on it it totally would not hurt as another poster mentioned to report it to the board of health...it does not sound like they really treated it properly if they only did the bedroom. It would be better for them to go inspect it.

All that being said i know what an emotional toll this must take on your family. My son's class had an outbreak of headlice last year and though I only found a few eggs on his hair and treated everyone in the family immediately I was so freaked out and tore through my house cleaning everything.....I imagine bed bugs would be much worse. ugh

So freaked out now!

dsamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #36
Three cats
DIS Veteran

Ugh, what a nightmare! I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you an your family. Pretty sure my family thinks im nuts for checking for bed bugs the *second* we walk into the hotel room, but honestly, this is my worst nightmare. OP, again, so sorry this has happened and I hope everything will be fine both in your home and your car.
Three cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #37
Ametista
DIS Veteran

We ended up with bed bugs after a vacation. Only my son and I reacted to the bites so my husband thought we were having allergic reactions to something (which we were, the saliva is an allergen but only about 50% of people are allergic). Turns out the main infestation started in my daughter's pack-n-play, which we brought with us on the trip!!!! It was so unbelievably infested it was sick, but she had not a welt on her (not allergic), otherwise we would have figured it out sooner. Long story short, we replaced mattresses, furniture, and even the carpet in the master bedroom in addition to having all the horrid toxic spraying done. We spent over $3000 and I still have nightmares about it.

So sorry you have to go through this! You should be saving every single bill and expense up and present it to the timeshare, they should reimburse you for all of it.
Ametista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #38
No user names left
Earning My Ears

From today's edition

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#axzz2KL9GYpbb
No user names left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #39
disprincess4ever
DIS Veteran

Well now i'm going to be paranoid at every hotel I stay at. I goes everyone just makes the assumption that only dingy little models get bed bugs, yet its more common in the nice and fancy "clean" looking resorts. Ick!

Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
disprincess4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #40
Three cats
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ametista View Post
We ended up with bed bugs after a vacation. Only my son and I reacted to the bites so my husband thought we were having allergic reactions to something (which we were, the saliva is an allergen but only about 50% of people are allergic). Turns out the main infestation started in my daughter's pack-n-play, which we brought with us on the trip!!!! It was so unbelievably infested it was sick, but she had not a welt on her (not allergic), otherwise we would have figured it out sooner. Long story short, we replaced mattresses, furniture, and even the carpet in the master bedroom in addition to having all the horrid toxic spraying done. We spent over $3000 and I still have nightmares about it.

So sorry you have to go through this! You should be saving every single bill and expense up and present it to the timeshare, they should reimburse you for all of it.
So you're saying that the bugs got into the pack and play that you brought from home and then in turn brought the bugs home with you??? Thats terrible
Old 02-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #41
Three cats
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disprincess4ever View Post
Well now i'm going to be paranoid at every hotel I stay at. I goes everyone just makes the assumption that only dingy little models get bed bugs, yet its more common in the nice and fancy "clean" looking resorts. Ick!
Oh absolutely. They can be found in 5 star resorts.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #42
ohionola
Mouseketeer

Just checked in. I looked all over. Other than a little dirt on the corner of the box spring, the room looked good.
ohionola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #43
happy2012
♫ ♪There's a great big beautiful tomorrow Shinin' at the end of ev'ry day♫ ♪

I think calling the health department is the best idea. I would have been so upset b/c you had your baby on that bed! what room/floor/bulding you stayed in?I'm so upset for you!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #44
purpledisneyprncess
DIS Veteran

While I'm really sorry to hear that happened to you & your family, I want to thank you for posting this. It made me more aware, and WILL be checking our hotel room (it's not at Bonnet Creek thankfully) upon checking in- flipping the mattress to check for blood stains *gag*, bugs, etc.. how nasty, but it's better to check than be sorry. Usually we bring a blanket to place over the hotel bedding but that does no good, I can still bring home the eggs/bugs on my blanket. What a nightmare. I hope that you call the health department on them, maybe send them the pics that you took of the bugs, etc. I know you rented the room through the time share but maybe the owner can go about getting a refund for you? I would consider having a lawyer send the hotel a letter. These hotels need to be more pro-active in keeping the hotels clean.
purpledisneyprncess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #45
Ametista
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three cats View Post
So you're saying that the bugs got into the pack and play that you brought from home and then in turn brought the bugs home with you??? Thats terrible
Yes. If you look at the railings on a pack and play they have padded nylon wrapped around them so your baby/toddler doesn't get hurt on them. The space between the pads and the rails was totally full of bugs. They are attracted to body heat (they see infrared) and once they find a food source (my daughter) they find a place to hide near the food source. It was so disgusting, I swore I would never stay in a hotel or resort again but that didn't last more than a year!
Ametista is offline   Reply With Quote