Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #16
1mama2three
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by katallo View Post
This was totally mishandled. You're correct about the way they treated the room. I only know this because it happened to my husband at another hotel. He saw the bugs in the middle of the night, called the front desk, they refused to send anyone because they were short staffed but said they did not have bedbugs.

He called the area Health Department as soon as they opened. They came out immediately and confirmed bedbugs. They closed his room and the two adjacent rooms and demanded the hotel treat all three rooms. He was told to launder whatever he could in hot water and throw away everything else. He lost so much, including luggage. If this issue is not handled properly it will just continue.

You certainly should have been compensated, but more importantly I hope you are feeling better and your home is safe. Until it happens to you, it's difficult to understand.
At this point all I want is not to have them in my home or car...of course, it is sad that we had to throw away so much and go through all the discomfort...but my thoughts focus on "oh, please...not my home...not my car". To get them treated would cost us upwards of $2000 or so we were told by a company here. We did have someone come out and do a thorough check and put down traps to see. He said we'll probably need to keep an eye on it for the next 3-6 months...just to make sure. The sad part is that it will likely consume my thoughts for that amount of time and I doubt I'll ever forget this. Still, I just keep focusing on how good the rest of our trip was...crazy thing is that this trip was our "make-up" trip from our last trip in May...we got robbed on the way home. My husband says I need to stop visiting Disney.
Sept/Oct 2004...our honeymoon @ POP!, Disneyland off-site: July 2005, POP: Jan/Feb 2010, POP: Jan/Feb 2011, WBC/POP: May/June 2012WBC/CR GW: Jan. 2013, AKV/BLT: Jan. 2014, POR: July 2014, VGF/Old Key West: Nov/Dec 2014
1mama2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #17
1mama2three
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieA View Post
If you haven't already, report this to bedbug registry. http//www.bedbugregistry.com That will get the word out to others.
You're absolutely right...I need to do this. Going to do it now. Thanks!
Sept/Oct 2004...our honeymoon @ POP!, Disneyland off-site: July 2005, POP: Jan/Feb 2010, POP: Jan/Feb 2011, WBC/POP: May/June 2012WBC/CR GW: Jan. 2013, AKV/BLT: Jan. 2014, POR: July 2014, VGF/Old Key West: Nov/Dec 2014
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #18
Janet Hill
DIS Veteran

Check the bedbug registry before you book.

But if you do check, where will you stay? Nearly every hotel and resort near Disney is listed.
Janet Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
BonnieA
I don't need no stinkin tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Hill View Post
Check the bedbug registry before you book.

But if you do check, where will you stay? Nearly every hotel and resort near Disney is listed.
Where I stay, wyndham cypress palms is not listed. Yay
Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #20
ohionola
Mouseketeer

Here is what I don't understand, each guest is required to strip the beds at the end of the stay at Wyndham Timeshares. It should be easy to see them in between guests by housekeeping. I would think that would make them less likely to have them.

I am checking into Bonnet Creek tomorrow and now I am having second thoughts.
ohionola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #21
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

That's horrible. The kids didn't get any bites (thankfully, I hope)?

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #22
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't necessarily write off a hotel because they had bedbugs at one time or another. They can happen at any hotel - it's what the hotel does when it happens that counts. You can get them in your luggage when you fly, or when you leave the luggage at bell services as well. The best thing to do is a thorough inspection of the room before you bring your luggage in, especially if you are driving to a hotel. I always leave my luggage in the car, check in, go to inspect the room for bedbugs and major maintenance issues, and then I bring the luggage in.

Sorry OP that you had to go through this. I would definitely be questioning the fact that the linens were soiled from the previous guests - that is wrong on SO many levels!
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #23
jlindemer
Mouseketeer

Like the others, I'm sorry this happened to you. As a GM of a property in Orlando, I know that bed bugs can be anywhere. They are at Disney. They can be at Wyndham. They have probably been in every hotel in Orlando. I cannot confirm, but with the number of International travelers and US travelers that go through airports, etc. they are going to transfer. Cleanliness of a place has nothing ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with bed bugs. If the condo had been vacant for a while it is easy for the bed bugs to multiply and housekeeping miss them. They hide very well, and are usually hiding in the box springs. The bed bug fecal matter could have occurred after housekeeping changed the sheets.

That said, the way that the hotel handled the situation is completely unacceptable. They should have dried your belongings, washed them, and then dried them again. You should have been transferred to another room so that the entire room could be treated.

I hope that you received your money back. If not, please call the Health Department. They will assist you with matters like these. I know our hotel ensures that every guest leaves satisfied with their stay.

jlindemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #24
BobbyBudnick
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohionola View Post
Here is what I don't understand, each guest is required to strip the beds at the end of the stay at Wyndham Timeshares. It should be easy to see them in between guests by housekeeping. I would think that would make them less likely to have them.

I wouldn't worry about bed bugs. Just do a quick search once you get to the room. Even the Disney resorts get them.
BobbyBudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #25
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

so sorry this happened to you.

in your situation just might not go to Disney for a year or two.

hope you and your family get better soon and you get a lot better!

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #26
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mama2three View Post
Thank you. I know that there are some good sites for finding checklist for bed bug inspections. For us, we pull off all the sheets and check those and then we check all the corners/tufts of the mattress to see signs of blood, feces or the actual bugs. Then we lift up the mattress and do the same for the boxspring. We also normally do a good check around the headboard and open up any drawers nearby. I know there are WAY more things you can do, but this is what we do on our initial inspection. It helps to have a flashlight for the dark areas, but trust me in most cases you can see the bugs if they're there. Especially if they've had a meal recently...gross but true.
Although I always check for bed bugs, I have never went far enough in my search. I always just pull away the sheet and look at the mattress edges. Now I will scoot the mattress and check the box spring also.

I'm sorry to read what your family went through. It makes me truly sad for you. I'll be praying you didn't carry any home.

I will also be mentioning this to my son-in-law, who recently started doing a lot of traveling for work. You may very well have saved another family from this horrifying experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mama2three View Post
At this point all I want is not to have them in my home or car...of course, it is sad that we had to throw away so much and go through all the discomfort...but my thoughts focus on "oh, please...not my home...not my car". To get them treated would cost us upwards of $2000 or so we were told by a company here. We did have someone come out and do a thorough check and put down traps to see. He said we'll probably need to keep an eye on it for the next 3-6 months...just to make sure. The sad part is that it will likely consume my thoughts for that amount of time and I doubt I'll ever forget this. Still, I just keep focusing on how good the rest of our trip was...crazy thing is that this trip was our "make-up" trip from our last trip in May...we got robbed on the way home. My husband says I need to stop visiting Disney.
I know bed bugs can be financially and emotionally draining. My sister's neighbor got them and depleted his savings trying to fight them. He ended up with 6 or 7 full size freezers in his garage where he was doing rotations of all his belongings. I'm not sure what the rationale behind that was or if he kept his clothes there, I just remember him having them.

About a year into it, he became so depressed that he had to see a doctor and get on medication. He said at one point he was suicidal over it. He thought he was going to have to burn his home to the ground. He eventually got rid of them using the super heat method, but not before the entire episode took a toll on him.

If you do end up having to treat them, don't waste money, time, or energy trying to exterminate them any other way. Nothing works but the heat. Although there are no real bright sides to bed bugs, at least there is a known method of getting rid of them now. I can't imagine the horror of trying one method after another only to have them keep coming back.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #27
ampc3
DIS Veteran

sorry that happened to you OP... what room was it? I feel all scratcy just reading this stuff yuck!!

lots of trips as a kid ...
Feb 20-22 2005 Asmov (left little one behind)
June 8-16 2008~POR (first whole family trip)
Sep 18-20 2009~POP~ mommy and DD6 bday trip
June 6-8 2010~POR~ GAD trip with Ds,YDd ,sister and nephew
May 2014 for the twins first trip.. first offsite WBC
ampc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #28
Janet Hill
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohionola View Post

Wyndham no longer requires guests to strip the beds.

My daughter took bedbugs home from a Marriot Resort and they were he11 to get rid of.
Janet Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #29
alohamom
DIS Veteran

WOW! I am so sorry to hear this happened to your family but I do think you should report it to the BBR as well as at least letting the person or service who you rented from know so that they can deal with Wyndham directly. Can you imagine the poor family or families who rent it next? You dont have to approach it from a refund point of view if that is not what you are after, just an informative email so that they can take care of it and make sure it doesnt happen again, I would hope!
alohamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #30
1mama2three
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
That's horrible. The kids didn't get any bites (thankfully, I hope)?
I have been checking the kids like crazy...even 3 weeks later. I feel like one of those monkies at the zoo...checking them over every day. Our 7 year old and 5 year old had a spattering on their arms and legs (my 5 year old were the large welts...my 7 year old just had a bunch of smaller pustule type things)...nowhere near the amount that my husband and I had. It doesn't appear that the 2 babies got them, but they were in cribs, so maybe that's what helped them? We have traps in all the bedrooms right now, and I about had a heart attack yesterday when I saw a bug in the one by my girls' bunk bed. Thankfully it was only a little centipede type thing.