Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2014, 08:17 AM   #1
wikiwiki3
Earning My Ears

Where to stay if visiting 3 parks?

We plan to visit Orlando in January 2015 and want to go to a few parks - we are a family of 5, 3 kids (9, 7, 4) and are particularly interested in Happy Potter and Jedi Training at HS.

1 day Magic Kingdom
1 day Hollywood Studios
1 day LEGOLAND
1 or 2 days Universal Studios

Any recommendations for where to stay that would be a good location for these that has a great pool? Was thinking onsite at either Disney or Universal so we get the benefits of that, but may be better to stay offsite and pay a little more for the fast pass at universal. Can you use the Universal Fast Pass for all HP rides? We went to January before and didn't feel we needed fastpass at Magic Kingdom... that was 2012... maybe it's different now. ?

Any advice?

Last edited by wikiwiki3; 07-13-2014 at 10:02 AM.
wikiwiki3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
denneg
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at Orbit One right off 192, very short distance to the Disney Parks (via Sherberth Rd), and an easy ride to Universal - I believe it took us 15 minutes max, and we probably stopped for coffee. We looked into Legoland last trip, and it was 45 minutes - but I think you'll find that is true for any resort close to Universal and Disney. We had a 2 bedroom, it was clean and quiet - no big resort features, but we used the pool and visited the parks, so we didn't miss any extra resort features!

denneg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
dg20
Earning My Ears

We went to 3 parks in March of 2013 (WDW, US and SW). We stayed at the Avanti Resort on International Drive. "Resort" is a bit of a stretch, but they had just re-opened after a reno and I got a great rate. The location is awesome. There are tons of restaurants nearby and a Starbucks in the lobby. We ended up just grabbing coffee and a muffin everyday for breakfast. All we did was sleep there, so it was a great place to stay.
dg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

Well Legoland is about 45 minutes away south on US 27,it is closer to Disney than Universal so it depends where you want to be closer to.If you want to be between Disney and Universal I would choose somewhere on the south side of International Drive or Universal blvd between Sand Lake Dr and around the convention center or Sea World.This area is just full of hotels with literally too many to choose from.The two streets run parallel to each other with both streets south of Sand Lake being better.If you want to be closer to Legoland then go with someplace on 192 on 535 or west of it.This area is older so there will older hotels,some of the better ones are the Comfort Suites main gate East by Old Town and they also just opened an Embassy Suites on 535 and 192.You could also look north on 535 towards I-4 and the Disney Hotel plaza blvd entrance ,this is what's considered the Lake Buena Vista area.I'll break down the driving times to the parks from the 3 areas.

International Drive or Universal blvd south area between Sand Lake and Sea World

Universal 5-10 minutes
Disney 10-20 minutes
Legoland 60 minutes

Lake Buena Vista area(535 around I-4)

Universal 10-15 minutes
Disney 5-10 minutes
Legoland 45 minutes

192 from 535 west

Universal 20-30 minutes depending how far west on 192
Disney 5-15(if you're close to Sherberth rd you can use this entrance to easily get in Disney property)
Legoland 40 minutes