DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
goofydad621
DIS Veteran

how long will it take to purchase

Hi All

Looking for somehelp form all you DVD veterans
We are looking at buying a resale of DVD points in the next couple of months
Here is the question

how long will it take if the offer is accepted but the seller to go thru disneys ROFR and be able to make ressies. We are planning a trip for January for our 20th anniversary and would like to beable to purchase points to do this and go again, and again, and again lol

We were holding off as my wife works for the DOD and we are waitng to see if the sequestor is going to affect us.

Thanks in advance

Dave Googydad Dionne
Been there done that got the t-shirt and going back
goofydad621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
gncntry
Mouseketeer

I would plan on 6 to 8 weeks

Disney has 30 days to exercise ROFR (and they usually wait until the last day or two to exercise or waive).

I would plan on 2 months from start to finish and that's IF Disney waives ROFR. If they take the contract then you will have to find another contract and start the process over.

POR - 2007, BCV - 2010, SSR- 2011, BWV - 2012, BCV, SSR, BWV - 2013
gncntry is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
goofydad621
DIS Veteran

Thanks

So if I start in August/early september I should be all set for a Jan trip

thanks Again

Dave
Old 04-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofydad621 View Post
Thanks

thanks Again

Dave
Probably not...

If you start (i.e. make an offer) in August, assuming all goes smoothly, you will not be in the system and able to make a reservation until late September. This is only 4 months from your intended travel month which is somewhat short notice. If you are planning marathon week, you could be completely out of luck. Otherwise, you may have a shot at SSR or OKW. It's by no means impossible, but at four months out, you will not have your pick of resorts. You will more than likely get something but it may not be your first choice. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Thanks

thanks Again

Dave
In terms of becoming a member, yes, you can buy then via a resale and be a member before the trip. The problem will be availability and when you want to go. You'd be looking at a one to two month booking and that can be tough, even for parts of January. You might be forced to split your stay, book the wrong size rooms, etc.

Just be aware that the closer you are to booking, the harder it is, any time of the year. Nothing is ever impossible as I ended up with being able to get a standard view room at AKV last year for 4 nights on Memorial Day weekend and didn't start my search until March. But it took stalking the website daily, wait lists, and an initial booking of a split stay.

Good luck!

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
goofydad621
DIS Veteran

thanks all
I guess if by June we know about the sequestor then we should start the process then that wouldgive us about 5 months to book?

Thanks again
Old 04-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
disbound09
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

[QUOTE=goofydad621;48093579]thanks all
I guess if by June we know about the sequestor then we should start the process then that wouldgive us about 5 months to book?

Thanks again[/QU

You have many posts so this is probably stating the obvious. Go with one of the three resale companies vetted on this site. We used Timeshare Broker Services and we are still waiting even though we started the process before Christmas. They are affiliated with Sell My Timeshare Now. Birds of a feather flock together so buyer beware. It is with Disney for transfer now but what a sorry transaction it has been. Good Luck!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
DizBub
Totally Addicted

I think if it were me and my 20th Anniversary I would go ahead and book a cash reservation for the desired time. That way you will at least have a place to stay. If you go ahead and find a contract and the deal goes through you can cancel the cash reservation IF you can find availability on points.

For DVC booking earlier is better especially for Oct through Jan. January is one of the lowest/cheapest point times and very popular for DVC. Early Jan still has Christmas decorations up. We managed to piece together a 9 night stay this last Jan, 2 nights at OKW, 2 nights at BLT (a miracle we got that) and 5 nights at SSR.

We started our process right before Memorial Day last year and finished up near the end of Aug. Plan on a minimum of 60 days if all goes perfectly but don't be surprised if it takes longer. And if you are ROFRed you gotta start all over again.

Good luck with the sequestor. My daughter and son-in-law are both sweating it these days so understand why you're waiting.

Last edited by DizBub; 04-14-2013 at 10:22 AM.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

If I were you I would rent points and make your reservation.

Buying points can take 2 months but it can take much longer. We have just passed ROFR and expect it to take around a month to get our points but I started looking just before Christmas so that will be 5 months all in. You don't always find what you need straight away or get an offer accepted straight away
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
crisi
DIS Veteran

If you run into snags in the process, it really can take a lot longer. We've had stories of buyers who have waited weeks for the seller to return documents. We've had stories where right before closing, the deal has fallen through. We've had stories of people having contract after contract scooped up from under them and it takes them months to find what they are looking for (especially if they are picky - a specific contract - a certain resort, with a certain number of points, and a certain use year, at a certain price, with points available - can take a long time to find).
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi All

Looking for somehelp form all you DVD veterans
We are looking at buying a resale of DVD points in the next couple of months
Here is the question

how long will it take if the offer is accepted but the seller to go thru disneys ROFR and be able to make ressies. We are planning a trip for January for our 20th anniversary and would like to beable to purchase points to do this and go again, and again, and again lol

We were holding off as my wife works for the DOD and we are waitng to see if the sequestor is going to affect us.

Thanks in advance

Dave Googydad Dionne
Jan is becoming more difficult to book. I guess the question is whether you'll make the trip at all if life happens. If the answer is yes, make a cancelable cash reservation and then start the purchase process as early as you're comfortable.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #12
disbound09
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
If I were you I would rent points and make your reservation.

Buying points can take 2 months but it can take much longer. We have just passed ROFR and expect it to take around a month to get our points but I started looking just before Christmas so that will be 5 months all in. You don't always find what you need straight away or get an offer accepted straight away
Right now Disney has 30% off on Villas that you can hold for a bit. At about the same cost of renting. Not sure how long before you have to cancel. But might be worth looking at.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #13
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by disbound09 View Post
Right now Disney has 30% off on Villas that you can hold for a bit. At about the same cost of renting. Not sure how long before you have to cancel. But might be worth looking at.
This is worth looking into. As long as they have a similar cancellation policy as a regular hotel reservation. Renting points is also a terrific option but you probably couldn't cancel on an owner that easily, if at all.

This way, if the resale did go through and you can get space on your own points, that $ you would have used on the cash reservation can go toward your purchase price.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
goofydad621
DIS Veteran

thanks everybody for the advice. realy want the points as our oldest DD is getting married in may 2014 and they want to go to WDW so we send them for thier wedding present, so owning points wold work well for us.

Disbound09 what three resellers are well vetted here on theboards?

I have been looking at Fidelity as they have some contracts that look very appealing to us.

thanks again

Dave goofydad Dionne
Old 04-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #15
disbound09
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3039176

This is the link. It is under a word about advertisers on the stickies.

Here are some of the DVC resale brokers often mentioned on the DIS:

The Timeshare Store (a DIS sponsor) - http://www.dvc-resales.com
Fidelity Resales - http://fidelityresales.com/
DVC by Resale - http://www.dvcbyresale.com/

Good Luck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: