Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
momtofour
Mouseketeer

New kitchen for $90,000 to $100,000???

I need help from my budget minded disboard friends!! We are looking to gut our kitchen that is 22 years old. The cabinets were poor to begin with so refacing etc. will not work. The space is large so we are not adding any square footage, moving walls etc. Looking at granite, medium grade cabinets, upper end appliances. My first quote came in at about $70,000 to $80,000 not including appliances. Does that seem about right? I am going from a U shape to an L shape with a large island. I have a hardwood floor so that needs to be sanded down again. It seems exorbinant!
momtofour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

It does seem high but I guess it depends on where you live and other factors, too.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
ICF
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtofour View Post
I need help from my budget minded disboard friends!! We are looking to gut our kitchen that is 22 years old. The cabinets were poor to begin with so refacing etc. will not work. The space is large so we are not adding any square footage, moving walls etc. Looking at granite, medium grade cabinets, upper end appliances. My first quote came in at about $70,000 to $80,000 not including appliances. Does that seem about right? I am going from a U shape to an L shape with a large island. I have a hardwood floor so that needs to be sanded down again. It seems exorbinant!
Do you live in a million dollar house? If not that seems high to me.

We replaced our countertops last summer (going to quartz) and it cost about $4k. We got a new stove, fridge&freezer, microwave and dishwasher and I think it came to about $3K.

Cabinets would've been $10-$15K -- based on our rough restimates. So in total had we done everything (but not reconfigured our space) it would have been about $20K - $25K -- and as a point of reference our house was just appraised at $210K as part of a refi.
ICF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:

That's more than my very nice little house cost...

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Does not seem out of the realm of possibility
1) cabinets. Those suckers can really get expensive. Let me tell you, you start getting into different size and woods and you can easily drop 30K on cabinets alone. I feel in love at a home show with some custom cherry cabinets, shaker style. ~800 bucks a foot. I about fainted but they were gorgeous. LOL

2) Counter tops. same as above granite counter tops. once again the cost can vary according to grade but easily 200 bucks per foot.

sticker shock is definitely why many folks become DIY'ers LOL.

Heck, I spent 2,000 dollars on replacing the kitchen cabinets KNOBS.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
momtofour
Mouseketeer

Market value of my home is about $750,000. We would not be doing any of the work ourselves. The appliances are about $20,000. I am dealing with kitchen places that do all of the work. Would I save much by hiring a general contractor? We do not know anything about this!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
Kies99
I Can has Cheezburger???

I put a 2 story addition with full master bath on my house only 2 years ago and only spent $50k!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, bacon in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride!"

Some people are like slinkies, they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

Kies99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
ExPirateShopGirl
My posts are sanitized for your protection!
Oh, sorry. The dog just peed on it.

Get several estimates.

Quote:
Market value of my home is about $750,000. We would not be doing any of the work ourselves. The appliances are about $20,000. I am dealing with kitchen places that do all of the work. Would I save much by hiring a general contractor? We do not know anything about this!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
trinchick
Mouseketeer

I haven't renovated a kitchen myself, but my home is about the same value as yours, and I think I'd be willing to put about $50K into a redo. I think this would update the kitchen to make it more competitive from a resale perspective without pricing us out of comparable homes in our neighborhood.

Like anything else we buy, you have to consider how you will use it. If you're a gourmet cook and need a pastry station, potfiller, warming trays, super duper range hood, and Viking appliances, you're going to want to spend more. If you're an average cook, you probably wouldn't want to invest in these upgrades.

The same consideration must be taken if you're looking for high design finishes or are just happy to have the room clean and modern, and doesn't have to be done again for another decade or two. For myself, granite is granite so I don't need the $200/foot variety and can happily choose something from the offerings that are $50 a foot. It helps if I never set foot in the pricier area so don't start to covet the expensive options. Others, though, might feel like they skimped every time they had to look at the counters.

There was a thread here on Ikea cabinets recently and it spurred me to investigate the reviews. I was shocked at how favorably many designers look at them.

I know that for my kitchen - which is old and outdated with dark wood cabinets and (gasp!) Formica counter-tops - I'd love to do a total reno. However, if it was going to cost upwards of $70K, I'd live with it for a few more years. Of course, then I'd redo it in order to sell it and someone else would enjoy my new kitchen while I suffered with the old one, but now we're exposing some of my own issues, so I'll leave....
trinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
Mariep26
DIS Veteran

I would agree to get multiple estimates and try a contractor. We are looking at redoing our kitchen but we are knocking down a whole wall and utilizing porch space to extend the kitchen. Our estimates are around $60k (without appliances) and that includes custom cabinets.
June 2010 - Swan & Dolphin, March 2012 - ASMo Toy Story room, December 8-15, 2012 - AoA Cars Suite, Feb 25 - Mar 1, 2013 - BLT LV Studio, May 9-13 - AoA Cars Suite, August 19-23, 2013 - BLT TPV Studio - Jax's 5th Birthday!!! - Nov 2-9, 2013 AoA Nemo - Oct 18-25, 2014 - Presley's 5th Birthday @ SSR 2brdm!!
Me: Marie, DH: Neil, DS: Jax , DD: Presley, D?: Baby #3 Due 12/20/14
Mariep26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
2disneyboys
DIS Veteran

I agree w/ others... get several estimates and makes sure each company KNOWS your getting several estimates.. it's their job to "sell" you on using them. What can they do for you to make you pick them! Only accept bids from companies that have good reviews and insurance/bonding.

DH ME
DS#1 13 DS#2 10

Lots of Magical Memories between 1999 - 2012
Maybe another visit in 2013 ? I can only hope!
2disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
momtofour
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the input thus far. Keep it coming! I am looking at Sorrento cabinets (any input?) granite, satin nickel hardware. Pretty simple design. Just for fun we priced out Thomasville cabinetry at Home Depot and that alone was about $18,000. We looked at IKEA cabinets and they did not appeal to us. I will continue to shop around...........
Old 02-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
Rosiekins
Is going to Disney World!!

My husband is a GC and I often help with his quotes. That number seems really high to me. We are from MA so prices here are fairly high and I don't think the kitchen jobs we have done have touched that with out the appliances added in also. I am not as sure with kitchens but I know with the things like windows, the companies that do installation have HUGE markups on their install prices, so it is much cheaper to have a Contractor do the job in that case. I can ask my husband when he gets home if Kitchen places are the same and what he thinks of that number.

My advice would be to get a another quote and call a few contractors in your area and get quotes from them, I am guessing they will be less. Good Luck!

Typhoid Wendy spreads the Disney Pox, a PTR

DH Me Baylor Smumbert

Etsy ID: BabyBadger
Rosiekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #14
gracie1
DIS Veteran

That price surely doesn't seem excessive. I work with contractors every single day, I bid the work out and also get work for fellow contractors. I can tell you that two bathrooms in a condo - to gut them runs about $30k - $40k. And the bathrooms are so small that you cannot even fit a tub in the one, it has to be a stand up shower.

It definitely comes down to what you want also, are you getting wood cabinets, cherry cabinets, etc. Are you getting granite, quartz or formica? Are you doing double ovens, exhaust vents, stainless steel packages? New backsplash, new flooring, tiles?

You definitely need to get 3-4 bids from different contractors, ask to see their work (if possible). Look at pictures, and even ask around to their competitors.
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #15
momtofour
Mouseketeer

OP here. We live in the suburbs of Chicago. If I used a general contractor would I first hire a kitchen designer or architect to come up with the plan? Or do they do that? I am naive about this process. Then does the general contractor give me allowances for everything?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: