Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California) > Disneyland Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
bethwc101
Mouseketeer

It's Sad to Think...

Do you have any fond memories from Disneyland or DCA and you realized your kids or little siblings will never be able to have those memories? What are some of those? Mine is thinking of when different bands would play in the Carnation Plaza and my friends and I would all dance and have fun. Or taking our family photos on the letter "A" in the CALIFORNIA sign in front of DCA. Please share and post pics if have any.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethwc101 View Post
Do you have any fond memories from Disneyland or DCA and you realized your kids or little siblings will never be able to have those memories? What are some of those? Mine is thinking of when different bands would play in the Carnation Plaza and my friends and I would all dance and have fun. Or taking our family photos on the letter "A" in the CALIFORNIA sign in front of DCA. Please share and post pics if have any.
Golden Horseshoe Review.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
Homemom
DIS Veteran

Definitely agree with missing the CALIFORNIA letters. We looked forward to those every trip to see how much DD had grown between visits.

WDW: Sept 04, Dec 05, Jan 09, Nov 11, Sept 12, Feb 14
DL: Feb 05, April 06, Feb 07, Oct 07, Sept 10, Jan 12, Jan 13
DCL: Jan 10, Oct 13
Homemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
bcla
DIS Veteran

I have a treasure trove of memories of long lost rides.

The one I miss most is Country Bear Jamboree, although there are other versions. And of course America Sings, PeopleMover, and Skyway. As a kid I was actually quite freaked out about Adventure through Inner Space. I could have sworn as a kid I saw a miniature version of the people on the ride in the shrink gun moving. As I got older I realized they were little figurines.

Actually the thing that I'm nostalgic about is going through the ticket books and seeing if we still had the ticket needed for a particular ride.

Last edited by bcla; 02-04-2013 at 09:41 PM.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
lisachrystine
Mouseketeer

The first thing that comes to mind isn't at DL, but at the DLH - I loved the waterfalls. I was so sad to see them go. I have good memories of the dancing water show, too, but I guess WOC can replace that now. I'm sure I'll think of more in park stuff later...
Old 02-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
CaliDisneyMama
Mouseketeer

I'm sad that DS won't ever be able to ride the Skyway, which was always one of my favorite rides as a child. I loved the view.

I also really wish he could see Country Bear Jamboree. It was my absolute favorite! I was SO sad when they took it out, and I look back in Winnie the Pooh each time we ride to see Max, Buff, and Melvin.

I have other things that I'm sad he won't be able to experience, but those two were the first to come to mind, along with the fact that he'll never get to experience the park with my Grandma, who was with me for almost all of my visits as a child, and who gave me a big part of my love for Disney. We lost her a few months ago. I couldn't find any photos from the Skyway (though I KNOW I have a few somewhere) or Country Bear Jamboree, but this is my Grandma at the park.

Upcoming: Dec. 2013

CaliDisneyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
DznyPrnces
Mouseketeer

Lots of things: the people mover, the skyway, country bear jamboree, the motor boats (gummy glen anyone?), the electrical parade, the rockets on top of the people mover (I know they are still there but they are much lower and the view isn't the same...........
Old 02-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
lisachrystine
Mouseketeer

CaliDisneyMama - you have inspired me to go dig out old pictures! I'll have to see what I can find in my mom's basement.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
pharmama
DIS Veteran

Many people have already mentioned my favorite memories... the Skyway, America Sings, the motor boats, and, of course, the Country Bear Jamboree. I always get a kick out of seeing some of the recycled animatronic critters from some of these in Splash Mountain.
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon 2009 & 2010 (dressed as Jessie)
Disney Dream 5nt Double Dip, July 2012.
pharmama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethwc101
While it won't be called Carnation Plaza, they are still planning to have bands at Princess Fantasy Faire at night and the swing dancing is supposed to return as well!

I miss the People Mover, America Sings, Country Bears (especially the Christmas show). At DCA, I miss Hollywood & Vine and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire: Play It!
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #11
longtimedisneylurker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77

While it won't be called Carnation Plaza, they are still planning to have bands at Princess Fantasy Faire at night and the swing dancing is supposed to return as well!

I miss the People Mover, America Sings, Country Bears (especially the Christmas show). At DCA, I miss Hollywood & Vine and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire: Play It!
This is what I thought too. I noticed this disappointing snippet though in this week's MousePlanet DL update:
"The Fantasy Faire is scheduled to open Tuesday, March 12. Disneyland is still working out some details such as the operational hours, which are currently scheduled from park opening until the nightly fireworks are shown. Disney also stated to direct questioning that there are no immediate plans to bring the Saturday evening Jump, Jive and Boogie swing dance event back to the area. The swing dancers were moved out of the Carnation Plaza Gardens last spring and have since called Downtown Disney home."

I guess this was during a media preview. I recognize everything is subject to change and adjustment (and this is contradictory to previous rumors or statements), but this is discouraging. Guess we'll know soon what activities will be there.
longtimedisneylurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #12
CaliDisneyMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisachrystine View Post
CaliDisneyMama - you have inspired me to go dig out old pictures! I'll have to see what I can find in my mom's basement.
Yay! I love old Disneyland photos!

Old 02-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #13
brendahamlincoln
Mouseketeer

The electrical parade! I would love to see that one more time.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #14
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

I love getting my Skyway fix on the Skyfari ride at the San Diego Zoo. But still, it's sad to still see the old Skyway buildings next to the Casey Jr. ride.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #15
CaliDisneyMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendahamlincoln View Post
The electrical parade! I would love to see that one more time.
Oh, that, too!! I keep hoping they'll bring it back again. They have before (though I don't think to DL; just to DCA and WDW, right?), so it's not completely outside the realm of possibility. And if they do, we will be there so DS can see it

Tags
fun, laughter, memory, photo

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: