Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

For those of us that keep going back to WDW

What exactly is it that keeps bringing us back? Why do we all love it so much. Is it different for everyone? For me, everything is so perfect at Disney. It's an escape from reality for me. It brings me back to feeling like a child. It's hard to explain, to put into words, but it just feels magical. I can't get enough of it.

2012 BECAME DVC MEMBER AT BCV!

michelleiada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
katt789
DIS Veteran

I just love it! All of it's so magical, it truly is walking into another world that's completely and totally different from any other "real life" one, it's a complete escape complete with royalty, pirates, journeying around the entire world and into space.

There's nothing that beats walking down Main Street and seeing the castle for the first time (or any time) of the trip

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
Lifeangel1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleiada View Post
What exactly is it that keeps bringing us back? Why do we all love it so much. Is it different for everyone? For me, everything is so perfect at Disney. It's an escape from reality for me. It brings me back to feeling like a child. It's hard to explain, to put into words, but it just feels magical. I can't get enough of it.

My thoughts and words exactly. It's even become more of an obsession since we stayed on property. I can't get enough!! I think there is an inner child in all of us that makes us want to return to the simpler times when we could just play without worrying about schedules, budgets, work, etc. i do just that at Disney!!

1986 off-site, 1990 off-site, 1992 off-site, 1997 off-site, 2001 off-site, 2005 off-site, 2009 POFQ, 2010 POP, 2011 POP, WBC, 2012 CBR, 2013 POP, 2014 AoA

Last edited by Lifeangel1; 01-30-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: added more
Lifeangel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Lack of imagination? Seriously, that is what my DH would say. More than once when the subject has come up (next vacation planning) DH has asked if I can't come up with anything different/better. I like WDW because I know we will have an enjoyable week. We've been often enough that we pretty much know what we're going to get out of that vacation. Fortunately for DH, we usually do 3-4 other vacations between Disney visits.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeangel1

My thoughts and words exactly. It's even become more of an obsession since we stayed on property. I can't get enough!!
I loved it before staying on property but then the first time we did stay on property, I was completely hooked. The experience is entirely different. Nothing better than total immersion in the magic 24/7.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
hsmamainva
DIS Veteran

Everyone's reasons are likely to be different!

I never went to Disney as a child -- always wanted to, but never had the opportunity.

My hubby went to college in Florida so he went several times over those 4 years.

Enter the early 90s and we're starting to have children -- my husband also started his own business and, being self-employed and just starting out, he never had vacation time or any money to take a vacation with, even if we had the time!

It wasn't until his business was running smoothly (within the last 10 years or so) that he's now able to take a true week-long *vacation*. We did the beach vacation for several years and that was fun and enjoyable but I kept wanting to go to Disney!

I finally talked him into a first family trip 2 years ago and I was bitten hard by the Disney bug! So we went in 2011, and in 2012, and we're going in May of this year, and I'm already planning a trip for 2014, and 2015!

I guess what really hooked us was our youngest daughter's reaction. She has special needs and she just lights up when she's at Disney! And, believe me, we've taken her other places -- to the beach, to museums, to the aquarium, to movies & plays -- NOTHING makes her as happy as Disney does!

And no one is as accommodating as Disney when it comes to special needs children! We can't tell you how many amusement parks we've visited with her where we hear, "Oh she's too old to ride this", or "no, you can't ride it with her." We can ride everything together at Disney.

It's just a truly magical, happy place.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Planning Trip #6!

hsmamainva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
IwannaseeMickey
Mouseketeer

For us, it is an easy vacation. We can drive there in 7 hours and it is a vacation that makes everyone happy. My kids are now 10 and 5 and we aren't quite ready to do National Parks (not sure I will ever be ready for that!) or Wash DC or that type of vacation. We do like cruising, but honestly it is an easy fun week and we like it. Last night we mentioned the possibility of doing a DIsney cruise for a week before Christmas and doing like 3 park days before it, or a week at Disney in the fall and we can do water parks too, and they both said no cruise, a week at Disney. My 10 yr old has been 5 times now and my 5 yr old 3 times.

So, for the next couple of years, this is what we will do! (We do do some shorter beach trips here and there too!)
IwannaseeMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

I love everyone's responses so far. Keep them coming.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
cindymindy
Earning My Ears

Some of my happiest memories of my childhood and adulthood are from Disney. Every time I go, I can't help but reminisce about family vacations, trips with friends and all the laughter in between. There is no place like it, and no other theme park can match what Disney has become. I can't wait to keep coming back for years to come!

November, 2014:POP Century, Wine and Dine Half Marathon! July, 2013: Animal Kingdom Lodge June, 2013: POP Century 2012: Caribbean Beach 2007: Grand Floridian 2001: Coronado Springs 2000: Port Orleans: French Quarter 1999: Caribbean Beach 1998: Coronado Springs 1990: Off property 1987: Off property
cindymindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
autismmom1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamainva View Post
Everyone's reasons are likely to be different!

I never went to Disney as a child -- always wanted to, but never had the opportunity.

My hubby went to college in Florida so he went several times over those 4 years.

Enter the early 90s and we're starting to have children -- my husband also started his own business and, being self-employed and just starting out, he never had vacation time or any money to take a vacation with, even if we had the time!

It wasn't until his business was running smoothly (within the last 10 years or so) that he's now able to take a true week-long *vacation*. We did the beach vacation for several years and that was fun and enjoyable but I kept wanting to go to Disney!

I finally talked him into a first family trip 2 years ago and I was bitten hard by the Disney bug! So we went in 2011, and in 2012, and we're going in May of this year, and I'm already planning a trip for 2014, and 2015!

I guess what really hooked us was our youngest daughter's reaction. She has special needs and she just lights up when she's at Disney! And, believe me, we've taken her other places -- to the beach, to museums, to the aquarium, to movies & plays -- NOTHING makes her as happy as Disney does!
And no one is as accommodating as Disney when it comes to special needs children! We can't tell you how many amusement parks we've visited with her where we hear, "Oh she's too old to ride this", or "no, you can't ride it with her." We can ride everything together at Disney.

It's just a truly magical, happy place.
This!

WDW is my favorite vacation spot in the world! When my husband retires, I want to live in Orlando and work at MK!
2012 Oct Contemporary!! (shhhh, it's a surprise!)
2013 Oct POFQ
2014 Oct POFQ
autismmom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
allthingsmickey
Earning My Ears

I know they don't do everything right, but they do ALOT right. They figure out how to move people efficiently, entertain people of all ages, cultures and experiences, they know how to make me forget about all the regular stressors of life and just enjoy time with my family!

There is so much there to do, that each time you return, you can enjoy your favorites but still do, see, or experience something new every time. Even though we go regularly, it's never the same vacation twice.

And then there is that intangible "magic" that we only seem to find at Disney.
allthingsmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #12
Kimi313
DIS Veteran

That's a great question. I never went as a child but I loved the disney characters when I was little. DH took me on our 2nd anniversary and I knew when we had kids I wanted to go back. Well DD is 22 and we have been almost once every year. I guess we love it because its magical, DD was an only child so it was a place we could do everything together, it's a place where we park and they do the driving for me, a place where they make you feel special and they are glad you came, and it's a place where you can escape from reality. Now as DD is in college and we don't see her as much its a place where she still loves to go and we get to spend the entire vacation together!
Hilton '92, Cont '93, Cont '94, POR '95, Poly Lag '96, Cont Tower '97, Off Site '97,Cont Tower '98, WL '99, Poly '00, Poly '00, ASSp '01, Cont '01, Poly '02, GF '03, Cont Tow '04, WL '05, Poly '06, ASMo '07 Poly '07, ASMo '08, Poly '10, Ft Wilderness '11, Beach Club '12, Beach Club NYE, Cont Tow '13, Cont Tow '14
Kimi313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
Laketravis
FP is just fantastic, that is really what I think. Oh by the way.. which one's Pink?

For me, it's not what BRINGS me back to WDW, it's what PUSHES me back.

The stress and challenges of running a business sometime beg for a bit of escapism.
Laketravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #14
cjnix29
DIS Veteran

The thread about the magical things that have happened to people at Disney. No where else do things like those described in that thread happen. That and I love the fact that I cry EVERY time on our first walk down Main Street each trip!
2005 OKW, first trip with DS
2006 WL
2007 POLYNESIAN 2008 All Star Music
2009 Surprise birthday trip for DS offsite
2009 Holidays at the World , POFQ
2010 New countertops, or Disney?....,we chose the Contemporary, Club Level MK view and the Yacht Club!
Trip Report from the most awesome trip ever! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2565514
2012 BLT
8/25/12 First Cruise on the Fantasy to celebrate over 130 pounds lost!
cjnix29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #15
wdwmaw
planin' next trip

We love it!! I watched an interview about Walt and he said he wanted to build a place where he could take his daughters and feel safe. That's us, we feel so safe at WDW. We feel like Walt set a standard of morality that we want our family surrounded by and we just have not found that other places. We love the kindness of the majority of the CM's. We are not well off by any means, (I work a second job to pay for our yearly Disney trip), but when we are there we feel like millionaires.

We love that......
* We can surround our selves with so many cultures, so many guests from all over the world. We want this for our kids
* Our kids are 16 and 20 and when other people talk to them about memories of their childhood, they always bring Disney up and never mention any of the other places we have traveled to.
* We LOVE that is like an all exclusive resort (room,tix,food)
* I have motion sickness real bad yet I can enjoy almost everything at WDW, at Kings Island for example I can't ride anything, seriously.
* I like the busses, my husband gets lost in the mall, less stress for all of us and we can split up or move about the resort seperatly easlily.
* My husband LOVES it, everywhere else we go he is just not happy or not excited about the trip
* Once your tickets are bought MYW, hopper, WP option then we are good to go from sun up to sun down so to say with so many choices. Other travel destinations our budget for the day is usually spent in an hour and then there we are telling the kids, we have spent enough today.
*The cleanest hotel rooms we have ever been in

24 trips and plannin' the next 1
wdwmaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: