Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 12:45 PM   #31
Disfan20
Mouseketeer

My wife and I seriously considered moving to central Florida for the same reason. We were not overly concerned with the bugs, hurricanes or heat. What detered us after doing a ton of research were the horror stories of all the crime happening right oustide the World and in the surrounding towns.

I know crime can happen anywere, but we didn't want to take a chance with three little ones.
Disfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #32
finbait
Earning My Ears

Not just for Disney, but for the state as a whole, YES!
But, I moved to VA from FL, so it would be going "home" to me! And my husband and I are actually concidering it now, to move to Cocoa, and a big thought on my side (not the top of the list, but big) is DIsney's right there! I would save thousands a year, by having it close enough to day trip!

Remember, we must always believe in our wishes, for they are the magic in the world.
Now, let's all put our hearts together, and make a wish come true. Blue Fairy

Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight. I wish I may, I wish I might,have the wish, I wish tonight.
We'll make a wish, and do as dreamers do,and all our wishes,will come true.

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
They're shining deep down inside of you.
'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives Jiminy

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/5v4dqfx4k1hknow6.png[/img]

Me Planner of our Magic!
Dh Provider of our Magic!
DD 9 Helps Plan our Magic!
DS 6 Enjoys all the Magic!
finbait is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 12:52 PM   #33
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

No. We've looked into Florida since we are hoping to move farther south, but their licensing structure for my husband's job is different. His certs/licenses would essentially be useless.

I didn't look much into it at the time since it was already a no from us, but I don't believe as a teacher that anyone wants to get near Florida schools (from what I've heard).
Old 01-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #34
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albytaps View Post
I hear ya. What I was trying to say is, there is more elbow room (since I heard that phrase early on in the topic) in FL than there is in NJ so it wouldn't bother me. I actually like SOME population... I rather not be located somewhere where Leatherface can get me LOL
True. I guess I need to rethink those Texas plans.

Just looked up the pop. densities by state, and NJ was numero uno, just ahead of RI. Florida was ranked #8. Florida and Ohio were the only non-Atlantic seaboard states (and DC) in the top 10. But I guess if you can deal with it in NJ, you can handle Florida.

I bought a car in Sarasota last year, and was very impressed at how "livable" much of that city is when I drove around it. My wife lived there several years in early adulthood (along with Orlando) and still says Sarasota is hands down her favorite place she lived in Florida. Still too crowded for my tastes, but it's something to consider (and not that far from WDW), if you're going to move to Florida for sure.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #35
scoutie
DIS Veteran

I'd have to be able to provide an equal or better quality life for my family, so the answer is a resounding no.
scoutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #36
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

The thought is nice, but having lived in Charleston for a few years I learned that I like my seasons in the Northeast.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #37
gwmort
DIS Veteran

We're thinking of staying seasonally once we retire.

does anyone know if "snowbirds" can establish residency for discounts on tickets?
Old 01-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #38
Albytaps
Mickey's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968 View Post
True. I guess I need to rethink those Texas plans.

Just looked up the pop. densities by state, and NJ was numero uno, just ahead of RI. Florida was ranked #8. Florida and Ohio were the only non-Atlantic seaboard states (and DC) in the top 10. But I guess if you can deal with it in NJ, you can handle Florida.

I bought a car in Sarasota last year, and was very impressed at how "livable" much of that city is when I drove around it. My wife lived there several years in early adulthood (along with Orlando) and still says Sarasota is hands down her favorite place she lived in Florida. Still too crowded for my tastes, but it's something to consider (and not that far from WDW), if you're going to move to Florida for sure.
I wouldn't want to live in the city of Sarasota, I would want to live near or on one of the keys... Siesta Key being my favorite... it's my dream to live there with water access but those houses are in the millions.

WE LOVE DISNEY

Me DW DD DD DD DD

Albytaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #39
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadedFairy View Post
Families with school-aged children with working parents have very different set of needs & resources than semi or fully retired couples.
When we moved here our youngest boys were 12 & 15. I still work 55 hours per week. Not sure what difference that makes but I can tell you the schools here beat WV hands down!

Our kids are grown now (youngest 19) and the last of them is in college but still lives at home. It really hasn't changed our view of the state at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedby3 View Post
I just dont think I could leave all our family. I know we are blessed to be able to live right by them all...as so many families have their family members spread out all over the country. Our kids have been blessed to have their grandparents right by them all of their lives.
If we didnt have family ties here...I think I would be in FL in a heartbeat!
I couldn't have left my family either. Both of my two grown daughters and their husbands decided to move down here as well. We decided on the move and were all here within a year. If not for that, we wouldn't be here. There is no place on earth I would chose over my family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadedFairy View Post
Your area sounds like what my city/county was like once upon a time when we first moved here too. Over the last 2 decades the growth has been nothing short of phenomenal & my sweet, quiet rural area has been overrun.

I guess it's not JUST bugs either: Red ants, mosquitos, sand fleas, ticks, no-see-ums, wolf spiders, black widows, brown recluse, (we've found all 3 on our property at one time or another) palmetto bugs... and the snakes... pygmy rattlers, water moccasins, etc to name a few. Not necessarily all exclusive to FL, but just things to be aware of. We certainly didn't have all this in PA where I grew up, .
I've heard lots of stories since I've been down here about rural to nightmare. I guess that has happened many places. My county and one of the neighboring ones just put laws in place a couple of years ago to hopefully slow down the population growth.

I guess I really shouldn't be on here telling people how awesome it is as I would like to preserve our way of life. So ... Florida sucks! Don't move here! It's hot and has bugs!

You got me on the fire ants and mosquitoes. I hate them both. We had plenty of mosquitoes up north, but even more so here. Fire ants are horrible! We try to keep our property free of them, but they are something you have to keep on top of in FL as they pop up overnight.

We had wolf spiders, black widows, and brown recluse up north also. In fact, I have only seen one black widow since we've been down here and none of the others. I saw plenty of them over the years in WV and MD.

Same with snakes. We had copperheads and timber rattlers in WV as we lived out in the country there also. Poisonous snakes are everywhere, so you always have to be cautious of them.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #40
Albytaps
Mickey's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
We're thinking of staying seasonally once we retire.

does anyone know if "snowbirds" can establish residency for discounts on tickets?
I was wondering that too. I'm assuming you would have to pick one or the other... better off picking FL since you'll get the perks.

WE LOVE DISNEY

Me DW DD DD DD DD

Albytaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #41
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albytaps View Post
I wouldn't want to live in the city of Sarasota, I would want to live near or on one of the keys... Siesta Key being my favorite... it's my dream to live there with water access but those houses are in the millions.
Cocoa Beach has houses with canal access (and ultimately ocean access) that are much less expensive. I like Sarasota more, but CB isn't a bad place. DW had some friends who lived on a canal in CB, and it was worth less than $500,000 I think. They had to sell that place to be able to afford a daughter's ongoing medical treatment, but they remained in Cocoa Beach and got a condo. They've lived there pretty much their entire lives.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #42
smj2610
Ready for my theme park fix

Moving to Florida is my dream that I hope to accomplish in the next few years, I will take the hot humid weather over Indiana winters any day, but I agree I orginally wanted to live right by Disney but decided as long as I am close enough to do long weekends there I am fine, my family jokes they will finally be able to vacation elsewhere when I finally move down
smj2610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #43
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

We live in FL (not because of Disney) and we get there once a month or so. Being so close has not dulled the magic. We're about 2.5 hours away.

I'd move to FL for Disney if the other conditions were right-- jobs, housing, schools, etc.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #44
DizzneyDi
Mouseketeer

My DS, 32, is production manager of a Broadway tour, and he's been actively pursuing employment at WDW for over a year now. He made it through 2 interviews without getting the job back in early 2012, but was encouraged to apply again if something in his field opens up. He has worked on the tour with an actor who is currently in the Finding Nemo show at AK, and we've talked to him about living in Orlando. He absolutely loves it there, loves his job and the easy access he and his family have to the parks. He commented that the summer heat is horrific, but the weather for the rest of the year more than makes up for it. He was originally from Wisconsin and DS and I live in upstate NY, so we can totally embrace the idea of NO MORE SNOW!

We have very little family here, DS isn't in a relationship right now (it can be hard when you travel as much as he does), and I just retired at the end of 2012--so moving to Orlando, something we've dreamed about doing for years, is starting to sound much more possible. Even if he doesn't eventually get the job he wants at WDW, he's been told by his tour owner that they don't care where his home base is--they just fly him where he needs to be. So it could happen for us sometime in the relatively near future...

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus -- Mark Twain
DizzneyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #45
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

No way. I hope my life is more rounded. I can't imagine Disney ever being "that" important. I have no desire to move to Florida so it would take a whole lot more than disney to make me reconsider.

LOL I have a coworker who moved from Delaware to Florida, she didn't sell her house (smart cookie) until she was sure she would love florida. After the 3rd hurricane she told her husband "that is absolutely the last time I am ever boarding up a house I live in". She moved back to delaware and the money she saved by not moving she spends the winters in various places. mainly California, hawaii and florida.

Lastly, I have no desire to work with the public especially once I retire. been there, done that and believe me all those guest are not the happy campers disney puts in it's advertisements. 5 days a week dealing with ill mannered guest? uhmm thanks but no thanks.

I'll take my magic for a few days and return home sweet home.

Last edited by eliza61; 01-31-2013 at 01:34 PM.
eliza61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: