Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #16
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albytaps View Post
As far as FL being populous, I wouldn't think it compares to NJ
Here's the two state's rankings. Yes, NJ may have some higher population densities in places, but Florida now has double the population. Florida is #4, about 200,000 behind NY 6 months ago. I bet it goes to #3 in the next year or so. Somewhat surprisingly (to me), NC is #10 on the list, just ahead of NJ.

Rank-State-7/1/12 est.-'10 Census-2000 Census

4-Florida-19,317,568-18,801,310-15,982,378
11-New Jersey-8,864,590-8,791,894-8,414,350

Kentucky, thankfully for me, is smack dab in the middle at #26, with about 4.3 million people, most of which is in three urban areas all at least 1 hour from me. Plenty of elbow room here, but close enough to plenty of more urban places I want to visit, to do so easily.

Last edited by grimley1968; 01-31-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: trying to make table easier to read
grimley1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #17
Albytaps
Mickey's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LekiaHall View Post
The only reason why this wouldn't realistically work for me is that I'm a city girl and can't think of anywhere in the Carolinas where I'd want to move. I just need the people, the noises and the sounds of the city.

If you enjoy a slower pace and need elbow room, go for it! I hear Charleston is nice or you could go even further down to Savannah, GA.
Yea I would love elbow room. I will have to visit Charleston and Savannah some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Barbie View Post
I actually know a couple who did that, true Disney lovers like me. They moved there and applied for jobs as Cast Members. With no special job skills, he wound up sweeping on Main Street, and she cleaned rooms at POR. Within 6 months, the magic was gone for them, and they quit to move back home.

I know others who live there, and they tell me Disney "gets old". They are even tired of the stream of visitors who come from out of state and want to stay with them to tour the parks. Love the place, but not living there keeps it special.
Ouch! This is what I'm afraid of. I've thought of working there plenty and was thinking that would happen. I have a cousin that works for Universal along with her husband. When I asked them if they go to the parks on their days off they laughed and said hell no.... and they used to love them!

WE LOVE DISNEY

Me DW DD DD DD DD

Albytaps is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
katt789
DIS Veteran

I would move down to FL in a heartbeat! Granted, I want to work for Disney, but still, I managed to get down to WDW 7 times in a 1 year period, and I live way up in Canada.

I don't think going that often, or living down there would take away the magic, or make it boring, I think it would be amazing, like, take a trip on the weekend just to go eat at a Disney restaurant!? Yes please!!

Instagram:Katt789
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #19
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968 View Post
I also live in a relatively rural place, where real estate (before the crisis and after) is pretty inexpensive and life is a little slower paced. Florida is now, I think, the third most populous state in the country (or 4th, depending on if it's passed NY by now). That many people together in a state not much bigger than many midwestern states is just too much for my tastes. I like some elbow room. I realize you don't get much at WDW, but at least when I'm there I know it's only temporary until I get home.
A popular misconception. Only south FL and the big cities are heavily populated. Much of Florida is rural. In fact, we live on 8 acres and have no nearby neighbors. Our county has a law that allows only one home per acre for new construction. All of the outlying areas here are farms.

Other than the main roads (and even some of them) most of the roads here are dirt roads!! We moved here from WV and this place is so country it makes WV look like big city living. The pace of life here is slow and easy. Nearly everybody knows each other and most people are in church on Sunday and Wednesday. It's the Bible belt.

If you've never experienced real FL, you have no idea what you're missing. It's nothing like Miami or what most people see of it in the tourist areas and cities. I'll admit I was shocked myself. I love it here. It's a great place to raise kids.

As far as the bugs, WHAT BUGS????? I have only seen a couple of houseflies in all the years we've been here. You can eat outside and not be bothered. There are also no gnats! Are you talking about Love Bugs? They are only out for a short time twice a year and are like mentally challenged lightening bugs. The look just like them but fly into stuff and just get stuck there. They are not a problem for us at all.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #20
Albytaps
Mickey's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Here's the two state's rankings. Yes, NJ may have some higher population densities in places, but Florida now has double the population. Florida is #4, about 200,000 behind NY 6 months ago. I bet it goes to #3 in the next year or so. Somewhat surprisingly (to me), NC is #10 on the list, just ahead of NJ.

Rank State 7/1/12 est. '10 Census 2000 Census

4 Florida 19,317,568 18,801,310 15,982,378
11 New Jersey 8,864,590 8,791,894 8,414,350

Kentucky, thankfully for me, is smack dab in the middle at #26, with about 4.3 million people, most of which is in three urban areas all at least 1 hour from me. Plenty of elbow room here, but close enough to plenty of more urban places I want to visit, to do so easily.
Those rankings, they're not taking the size of the state into consideration. Compare 10 fish in a jar to 100 in a pool... which has more elbow room? (or in that case fin room)

Population densities is what counts most imo.

WE LOVE DISNEY

Me DW DD DD DD DD

Old 01-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #21
W.E.D.
Haunted Mansion junkie

We wouldn't move to visit the parks. We would move to work there. Still our goal, although we may be at retirement age before that can happen
...hurry back......hurry back......be sure to bring your death certificate.
W.E.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #22
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRmS View Post
Floridians telling NY/NJ people about Hurricanes ... didn't NY/NJ just get blasted by a Hurricane? That should make no difference, sure Florida has a far greater chance of getting hit by a Hurricane but NY/NJ have a far greater chance of getting hit by a Noreaster Snow storm so as stated every place has issues.

with that said, I personally would not move to FL simply for the parks, there has to be other motivation

Maybe the beaches? FL does have 2-3 of the top 10 beaches in the world.

Maybe the outdoors? FL has some great outdoor nature type related things i.e. The Everglades, The Nature Coast.

Maybe Historical reasons? St. Augustine area is rich with History and an absolutely gorgeous area!

Maybe an Economic reason, Florida has some of the lowest home value right now. You could buy a mansion in FL for what it would cost to buy a shack in NY/NJ areas ... it's definitely a buyers market down here right now.

Then again, maybe it is the parks you seek ... I'll admit, we've been around 12 times this year. Sometimes just for a few hours we'll drive out. It is nice to have something in your back yard that many others spend years planning and years saving thousands and thousands of dollars to visit.

It's all up to you really!

and who can complain about wearing shorts and flip flops in Dec/Jan/Feb???
I realize every state has different natural disasters to be concerned about & certainly our NJ/NY residents got blasted with the recent hurricane, I was just pointing out that it's a more common worry here & something to consider.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #23
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

I would love to live in FL...even work at WDW. I grew up in Winter Park, FL from the time I was 1 till I was 12. We used to go over on the weekends (30 mins drive) and Disney used the ticket booklets then....great memories! (This was back in the '70's)
I tell my DH all the time that I would love to be back, but ALL of our family is right here with us (our parents, siblings and our newley married DD). I just dont think I could leave all our family. I know we are blessed to be able to live right by them all...as so many families have their family members spread out all over the country. Our kids have been blessed to have their grandparents right by them all of their lives.
If we didnt have family ties here...I think I would be in FL in a heartbeat!
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA/1 night at ASM
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (23) DS(18) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!

blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #24
Grandmatoniko
Mouseketeer

We are from Jersey too and we do consider Florida also. My husband keeps saying, just think, Disney any time we want. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Disney but am afraid it would become old like others are saying. We have such a difference in ages in our kids, college and elementary school so it would be hard for us right now. It is definately something we keep on the table as an option. It was interesting reading everyone's opinions...thanks for posting this.
POR 04, Contemporary 05, POR 06, POP 07, POP 08, POP 09, POP 10 and POP 12, POP 13 & POP 2015!!
Grandmatoniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #25
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albytaps View Post
Those rankings, they're not taking the size of the state into consideration. Compare 10 fish in a jar to 100 in a pool... which has more elbow room? (or in that case fin room)

Population densities is what counts most imo.
Yes, but Florida is not that much bigger than many other states in the south or midwest. It's MUCH denser than, say, Missouri.

I could live in Texas probably, if work required it. It's the second largest state in population, but also the largest geographically outside of Alaska.

Florida is a pretty densely packed state. Yes, there are relatively uncrowded areas in the state (as there are in any state) especially in the northern middle part of the state, but not much along the coasts or near the cities where you'd probably want to live to be close to WDW. My wife grew up in Cocoa Beach, FL and brags about how relatively sparse the population was there in those days (and about being able to be at WDW within 90 minutes). Not these days. There are millions of people along the Space Coast now, despite NASA's cutbacks.

Last edited by grimley1968; 01-31-2013 at 12:42 PM.
grimley1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #26
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post
A popular misconception. Only south FL and the big cities are heavily populated. Much of Florida is rural. In fact, we live on 8 acres and have no nearby neighbors. Our county has a law that allows only one home per acre for new construction. All of the outlying areas here are farms.

Other than the main roads (and even some of them) most of the roads here are dirt roads!! We moved here from WV and this place is so country it makes WV look like big city living. The pace of life here is slow and easy. Nearly everybody knows each other and most people are in church on Sunday and Wednesday. It's the Bible belt.

If you've never experienced real FL, you have no idea what you're missing. It's nothing like Miami or what most people see of it in the tourist areas and cities. I'll admit I was shocked myself. I love it here. It's a great place to raise kids.

As far as the bugs, WHAT BUGS????? I have only seen a couple of houseflies in all the years we've been here. You can eat outside and not be bothered. There are also no gnats! Are you talking about Love Bugs? They are only out for a short time twice a year and are like mentally challenged lightening bugs. The look just like them but fly into stuff and just get stuck there. They are not a problem for us at all.
Your area sounds like what my city/county was like once upon a time when we first moved here too. Over the last 2 decades the growth has been nothing short of phenomenal & my sweet, quiet rural area has been overrun.

I guess it's not JUST bugs either: Red ants, mosquitos, sand fleas, ticks, no-see-ums, wolf spiders, black widows, brown recluse, (we've found all 3 on our property at one time or another) palmetto bugs... and the snakes... pygmy rattlers, water moccasins, etc to name a few. Not necessarily all exclusive to FL, but just things to be aware of. We certainly didn't have all this in PA where I grew up, .
Old 01-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #27
Albytaps
Mickey's Biggest Fan

Yes, family and school are 2 things that are holding us here. We live in a town that is known for good schools. My wife is very active in the school board/PTA/whatever it's called and she knows a lot of people here. My girls are comfortable in this town with their friends and it would be tough to move out.

My wife and I are both only children so it's only our parents that are holding us in this area.

The plan right now is to stay in this town until the kids are in college (my youngest is 4 so it'll be awhile lol) and then I want to move to FL or wherever we may decide.

WE LOVE DISNEY

Me DW DD DD DD DD

Old 01-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #28
ChristineNic
Mouseketeer

We moved from NJ to FL 10 years ago. We didn't move because of the parks. We are in South FL, so WDW is a weekend trip for us. I can't just pop into Epcot for lunch on a whim.

As far as hurricanes - new houses in South Florida are built to post-Andrew building codes, so a house in Florida wouldn't sustain as much damage in a storm as a similar home in NJ. People are prepared for storms in FL - storm shutters and generators are common. I have never seen accoridian storm shutters on a house in NJ, but both houses we have lived in FL had them. We wouldn't buy a house without them, unless the house had impact resistant windows.

Real estate taxes are about equal from where I lived in NJ. However, homeowners or renters insurance prices can bring tears to your eyes and make your budget cry for mercy. Car insurance prices are relatively equal.

I wouldn't consider a move to Florida unless I had a job waiting. Unemployment and under-employment is a big issue here.

However, in spite of the negatives of living in FL, you couldn't make me leave. I love it here.
ChristineNic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #29
Albytaps
Mickey's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Yes, but Florida is not that much bigger than many other states in the south or midwest. It's MUCH denser than, say, Missouri.

I could live in Texas probably, if work required it. It's the second largest state in population, but also the largest geographically outside of Alaska.

Florida is a pretty densely packed state. Yes, there are relatively uncrowded areas in the state (as there are in any state) especially in the northern middle part of the state, but not much along the coasts or near the cities where you'd probably want to live to be close to WDW. My wife grew up in Cocoa Beach, FL and brags about how relatively sparse the population was there in those days (and about being able to be at WDW within 90 minutes). Not these days. There are millions of people now along the Space Coast now, despite NASA's cutbacks.
I hear ya. What I was trying to say is, there is more elbow room (since I heard that phrase early on in the topic) in FL than there is in NJ so it wouldn't bother me. I actually like SOME population... I rather not be located somewhere where Leatherface can get me LOL

WE LOVE DISNEY

Me DW DD DD DD DD

Old 01-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #30
John Paul
42 Wallaby Way

No no no

1st trip in 1974
1980 1984 Senior Trip (Missing River Country)1985 and 86 several times 1988Contemporary 1990Kissimmee 2000Kissimmee
2006 Pop Century 2008 Port Orleans French Quarter
2009 CBR 2011 CSR 2012 Poly and US and IOA 2013 to come!
John Paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: