Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reservations
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
mkissa
Earning My Ears

50s Prime or Sci-Fi Dine-In

Hello All! I Have been lurking here on the boards and reading trip reports like crazy. My Husband is a CM here at The Disneyland Hotel in Southern California and we are making our first trek across the US to visit WDW!! We are so so so excited.

I am trying to get our ADRs in place for our May visit and I (even after reading loads of trip reports) am still confused as to which of these two restaurants we should enjoy for lunch on our Hollywood Studios day.

Any and all advice and recommendations are much appreciated! Thank you!
mkissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:50 AM   #2
Jacquie668
Mouseketeer

We are going sci-fi all the way! That is one place I'm really excited about and well it just is my cup-of-tea haha. We are doing dinner there though and lunch I think we were looking at quick service.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 02:58 AM   #3
karenlynn416
Mouseketeer

I love love LOVE the "dining experience" at 50's prime time cafe. A lot of the foods they serve are a little heavy, (fried chicken, meat loaf, pot pies, etc.) so if you choose to go there, I'd say its more of a dinner type restaurant. I think they have some salads and a sandwich or two also.

I think what makes 50s one of my favorites is the interaction with CMs. It's just a really interesting experience, and we always spend a lot of time laughing when we go.

I like sci-fi, don't get me wrong... but if i had to pick one or the other, it would be 50s!
Old 01-31-2013, 03:43 AM   #4
kccne
Earning My Ears

We are doing the 50's cafe when we go, I've talked to several people who have been and they said that they LOVED it.

ME (28) DW (22) DS (8) DS (4) DS (2)
kccne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:55 AM   #5
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

We are squeezing both into our next trip, but 50's Prime Time is one of our favorites and a must do every trip. The sampler platter is great - a little bit of everything (pot roast, fried chicken and meatloaf). We really enjoy the atmosphere.

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
plutonic
Earning My Ears

We are doing Sci-Fi for dinner one night.. really excited about the whole "drive-in" theme!

March 2007 - Off-Site April 2007 - Grad Nite 2007 November 2010 - Coronado Springs Resort / FAWF May 2011 - Caribbean Beach Resort June 2013 - Grand Floridian Honeymoon October 2013 - Yacht Club / FAWF April 2014 - Flower & Garden Festival June 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside 1st Anniversary
plutonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
Judyfun
Mouseketeer

I have ate at both, and it also depends on the age group. My Granddaughter LOVE SciFI, but when I go with more adult age we love Prime Time.

planning my next two trips
Judy
Judyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

The theme at both are a lot of fun. I love SciFi more because i love the drive-in experience. The food is yummy.

With kids, i'd say SciFi. With adults only, I might go for 50's. But it all depends on the menu you prefer.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
Alabama Minnie
DIS Veteran

IMO everyone should do Sci-fi at least once. It is a different dining experience than you can usually experience elsewhere. We always get the burger and shakes there lunch or dinner.

50's is neat to see but IMO the experience is better for older folks (like us). We really do like the fried chicken there, being from the South, and they are one of the only places at WDW that have "sweet tea".

You can also split a lunch at Sci-fi and split the chicken dinner (it's 4 pcs.) at 50s for dinner and experience both. We have done this before but we don't usually do the DDP. Not sure what the rules are with it.

2013-(2/14)AoA/Dolphin/(12/13)WL***2014-(11/14) POLY with (ds) (ddl) and (dgs) 1st visit
2012-Universal/Dolphin**2011-BWI/POLY/WL**2010-POLY/ASMu/CSR**2009-AKL/Dolphin/CSR/Pop**2008-CR/ASMo/Pop**2007-FQ
Alabama Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Atmosphere is much better at SciFi, but the food there is terrible. It's cool to say you did it, but you probably wouldn't rush to go back. 50's food isn't too bad, but the portions are small. The waitress banter is a little over-hyped..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
daizieduck
DIS Veteran

DH and I ate at 50's Prime Time ONCE. We hated it and have never gone back. It's not a good place to eat if you like to be left alone while you eat. My friend on the other hand, is a single mom and doesn't get to go out a lot or travel much so she loved it when she went with her son. She said for her it was like dinner theater. DH and I love the Sci-Fi though. Love the 50's car hop theme and the clips of all the old cheesy sci-fi movies streaming.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:12 AM   #12
mkissa
Earning My Ears

Thank you everyone! Since we are doing lunch I have gone ahead and made an ADR for Sci-Fi. Seems that the menu is much more suited towards lunch vs 50s prime as well as an atmosphere that we are more comfortable with.

Thanks again! We can't wait for our trip!
mkissa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: