Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #346
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post
Oh this is an easy one. First of all, pretending for just a moment that $ was no object , I would install a PERSONAL TRAINER!
good one!

Pamela--I think (the way I understand it--and I did google it too) that the diaphragmatic breathing helps with core stability and strength. She thinks the pain in my piriformis is causing the pain in my back, so she is working on loosening up my back and strengthening it and my core. One of the things I read said that is common for the piriformis to overwork when other muscles are weak. I am already moving better and made it through a 2 hour meeting yesterday only having to get up once. (By the end it didn't feel too good, but I made it!)

Magdalena--Thanks for volunteering to host in June. I will probably coach the first week in April, so whichever other week you would like will work for me. I am guessing I will take April 1-4 since April starts on a Monday and then we will go Fridays after that. Send me a pm once you decide so I don't miss it. Do you have excel? That is how we are keeping track of the weights/% lost.

Hope everyone is having a great Friday. I am still going strong with my mile a day challenge. (I have run every day this year except one when my back was really hurting--I walked that day, so I am counting it. ) My weight--eh, not as good as I would like, but I am hanging in there.

ETA--I am a vegetarian---who occasionally has a hot dog or bacon. It's a sickness, what can I say. Ok, so maybe that doesn't make me a real vegetarian, but it is a very rare treat and I have to avoid so much other food that I don't feel too bad about it.

Last edited by Rose&Mike; 02-15-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Rose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #347
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Good morning all!

Fridays are so fun because I get to see all your PMs!

MysteryMachine, I thought of you yesterday when I saw there is a whole thread devoted to love of yoga pants on the Community Board.

Quote:
We must be on the same Galloway calendar! My next one is a 10k on 3/9 and a Half on 3/30. I haven't signed up for anything after that, but probably will tackle another 5k in May before the big Italy trip. If the March Half goes well, I just may hit up one or two more before the W&D.
I do enjoy local races -- it is so nice to eat your own food and sleep in your own bed the night before a race. Your half is coming up quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix13dust View Post
Hi ladies!

Do you like the Galloway training? I really want to train and register for the wine and dine half marathon. I'm new to running, I keep reading his running program on the runDisney site, but I just don't get it?? Really I'm a smart person but I must have a mental block for running. It must be a sign though, I was just rereading his program this morning and now it's mentioned in this thread! Thanks for any advise!

Melinda
I love the Galloway run/walk/run program! I do eCoaching with him. The introductory material in any of his training plans for beginning runners on RunDisney gives you a good overview. Also here is a link to a YouTube video that he did with RunDisney http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7zQFmzGi8o This one explains about the run/walk/run program. There are several others that he did for RunDisney -- he even refers to them in his running schools. Also jeffgalloway.com has a lot of info. Buffy has been using his 5K app so I'm sure she will pipe in -- C25K is too tough for me but I can run/walk/run 15 miles at a time. I am a "mature" runner, too. I started when I was 49.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post

That's me right now. I just finished my first level 2 workout. And I thought that I had gained strength... I was feeling like the total beginner... Well not with everything, but with most. So far the cardio part was when I could relax as I had quite a bit of endurance thanks to my running. The cardio nearly killed me today!!! The worst thing was that the moves needed so much coordination that I lacked and because I kept toppling over I feel like I did not work out hard enough. Well, I guess the workout wasn't too bad since I am rather drenched - waiting to cool down before I hit the shower.

Hey, but I feel great now for not giving up! Looking forward to day 2 of level 2 tomorrow!
So glad that you had a great workout! Sounds very tough but I know you can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza32 View Post
I once became vegetarian for 6 months, The guy I was seing at the time was a veggie, so I gave it a try. It was quite easy for me as I'm not a big meat eater anyway, but eventually I gave in to bacon!!! (We split after that, but not because of the bacon!)

My time as a veggie really opened my eyes about what else was out there - I don't like tofu, but can now do quite a lot with beans and lentils, and also try lots of other veggies. DH and I have a veggie day a couple of times a week now...in fact today was one of them. We had butternut squash risotto for dinner tonight, followed by a fresh fruit salad and fat free yoghurt. It was lovely,
Yep, I've heard of vegetarians straying for bacon, too! LOL!

Pamela, hope that you had a good night's rest after your long, busy day yesterday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sjayne View Post
Almost every ex veggie I know lost it for bacon. There's one lady told me the Costco hot dogs we're what broke her.; Your dinner sounds so good.

Was really proud of myself today, did weights yesterday and my pt exercises so that all I had to do today was the elliptical and I ended up hardly having time to do that so it worked pretty good. Also rode my bike to work. It's finally not freezing and foggy so I can ride home at night!
Got a new coffee maker today. Mine broke this AM and I insisted on my husband at least getting me a red one lol. So I found one on sale at Fred Meyer and so far I love it. There's the annual nominated animated shorts at the local art theater I saw this week so I hope I lose at least a pound tomorrow....
Your new red coffee maker sounds very pretty! You are a trouper riding your bike to work now!

BRB smilie police -- sheeze!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #348
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post
Good Friday morning and hello! I am Jill, your coach for this week

A little about myself~This is my 5th season of challenges here on the WISH. I love the support and great ideas everyone shares. I am 36 and a teacher of history (and all special ed) at a private alternative school for 5th-12th grades. I am married with 2 DSs (9 & 6) and we live in western PA. I am struggling to lose the last 10 pounds I need to loose, but I'm chugging along.

I am going to post the QOTD and then come back for replies.

QOTD Friday, February 15
If you could design your own home gym, what equipment would be a necessity to have? Or, if you already have a home gym, what equipment do you have and what do you use the most?

Jill
Thanks for coaching this week, Jill!

I do not have good success with exercising at home. My bad case of PF started with using the Wii fit and I just can't get into DVDs. My dream would be a pool with someone to take care of it! I really like my gym and they can get cool new stuff to try and have a lot of choices for classes. It's just blasting my butt out of bed that is hard sometimes!

Quote:
Morning

This is a hard one for me as I hate the gym. (A pool would be good as I love swimming, but no chance of that in the UK!!) I get most of my exercise from walking, so maybe a treadmill would be my best option. And maybe some free weights to help tighten my bingo wings (Hope you US guys know what these are!!). Definitely no mirrors for me though...don't want to watch myself exercising as I'm sure it isn't pretty!!!
Nope, you have to tell us what bingo wings are now!

Quote:
Thank you, I really enjoyed coaching!

I think I will sign up for another week of coaching before I leave on vacation. So, Pamela and Rose, do you already know when you will need someone to coach in March or April?

And I decided that I would sign up as hostess for the June challenge. According to the first post that month is still available. I will be back from my trip mid May and I think committing to hosting the challenge shortly afterwards will make sure that I get back on track immediately!

Getting involved in these threads instead of just lurking really made a huge difference for me! So all your lurkers out there: Start posting, we would love to hear from you!!!
Excellent point!

Quote:
On a side note, for the 3rd week in a row, I haven't lost and ounce! I am so right now, it's difficult to not let it get to me. Any encouragement you ladies can send my way today will be GREATLY appreciated!!
Kim, I know that old scale is really frustrating you. I am so sorry that it is not reflecting your efforts. But it will soon, I know it! You just finished a race this week-end so there may be some residual water weight from that. You are doing great! Keep up the good work!

I was so happy to have a 5 lb loss at WW yesterday. Thank goodness that whacked out gain went away as fast as it appeared. That puts me at 6.6 pounds lost since I joined WW 4 weeks ago!

Have a great day all and keep those PMs coming!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #349
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post

I was so happy to have a 5 lb loss at WW yesterday. Thank goodness that whacked out gain went away as fast as it appeared. That puts me at 6.6 pounds lost since I joined WW 4 weeks ago!

That is awesome!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #350
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Hello and happy friday!!!

A little update on the Yoga Pants, I am NOT wearing them because I have to mop, clean, etc and I do not want to mess them up. So I am back to sweats. I guess I need to get rid of the sweats in order to stay away from them.

Weigh in is on track this week.

I am not keeping a food diary or counting calories on paper. I do "count" loosely in my head because I do know ballpark calories of things and I label read. Using less ingredients makes things easier to "count" things.
I do count sat fat and I am looking (not counting) at sodium right now.

Last night was a great dinner night with orangy roughy (fish), pasta, steamed broccoli and sauted spinach with a glass of red wine and some french cheese on crackers as an appetizer.

The Biggest Loser scale has also been a huge help. We measured out the pasta dry beforehand to decide how much to cook. AHA!!! What a novel idea!!!No more dumping the whole box in the water to cook.

As far as the QOTD, well with my issues, I would love a stationary or recumbent bike and an elliptical.

I have an old treadmill that is very hard on the feet and a BOWFLEX that I have not used.

I do use my balance ball. I also have free weights, just a few. Oh and I have a reg. bike. I have to get it down though and dh can't do it right now.

Have a great weekend!!!!
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #351
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Oh my heavens to Betsy! My patience is GONE!! It is going to be a VERY long afternoon! The talking, tattling, poking..... I am SO done with 1st grade today!! Hopefully recess will get some of this out of their systems!

Off to read and reply before lunch!.........P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #352
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Thank you, I really enjoyed coaching!

I think I will sign up for another week of coaching before I leave on vacation. So, Pamela and Rose, do you already know when you will need someone to coach in March or April?

I honestly have NO idea! I guess I should look into that!

And I decided that I would sign up as hostess for the June challenge. According to the first post that month is still available. I will be back from my trip mid May and I think committing to hosting the challenge shortly afterwards will make sure that I get back on track immediately!

Getting involved in these threads instead of just lurking really made a huge difference for me! So all your lurkers out there: Start posting, we would love to hear from you!!!
Thanks for offering to take June!!

Quote:
Oh this is an easy one. First of all, pretending for just a moment that $ was no object , I would install a PERSONAL TRAINER! Having someone on my case to push just little bit harder would be great! Back to reality though, a treadmill would definitely be the first thing, along with a full set of free weights and a really good multi-use weight machine - one that would work out every body part. I had a Bowflex a couple of years ago, and it started out great, but those rods wore out in no time and lost their resistance. Talk about a colassal waste of money!

I have various pieces of workout stuff: ab ball, bands, 5lb hand weights, elliptical, and a ton of DVD's that I never use. I just can't seem to find the motivation to work out to a DVD at home. Plus I just don't have a good place to work out to one. We're building an outdoor tiki bar area complete with a tv, so maybe being able to work out in my back yard (basically) will be more inspiring .

On a side note, for the 3rd week in a row, I haven't lost and ounce! I am so right now, it's difficult to not let it get to me. Any encouragement you ladies can send my way today will be GREATLY appreciated!!
Sorry the scale is NOT cooperating. Not sure what I can say to help other than HANG IN THERE! It will happen. If you are still stuck next week I would officially call it a "plateau" and you need to start thinking about making some significant changes. More fiber, fewer carbs, more water, different exercise (more weight/less cardio or vice versa), weighing/measuring all portions, etc. Sometimes you need to do something drastic to shake up your body and get that metabolism moving again. Give it one more week though. WW doesn't officially call it a plateau unless it has been 4 weeks of less than 1/2 lb per week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Missed my plank yesterday, first day I've missed all month. My back is killing me and I tweaked my knee trying to get across the school parking lot. I hate it when I get moving and then have a set back. I'm also fighting a wicked migraine today.
I have a chiro appt for this afternoon, hopefully it will help.

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards
Sorry you missed the plank, but don't worry about it too much. What did you do in the school parking lot??

Chiro will make you feel better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
good one!

Pamela--I think (the way I understand it--and I did google it too) that the diaphragmatic breathing helps with core stability and strength. She thinks the pain in my piriformis is causing the pain in my back, so she is working on loosening up my back and strengthening it and my core. One of the things I read said that is common for the piriformis to overwork when other muscles are weak. I am already moving better and made it through a 2 hour meeting yesterday only having to get up once. (By the end it didn't feel too good, but I made it!)

Glad it is helping! I'll have to look at that myself!

Magdalena--Thanks for volunteering to host in June. I will probably coach the first week in April, so whichever other week you would like will work for me. I am guessing I will take April 1-4 since April starts on a Monday and then we will go Fridays after that. Send me a pm once you decide so I don't miss it. Do you have excel? That is how we are keeping track of the weights/% lost.

Hope everyone is having a great Friday. I am still going strong with my mile a day challenge. (I have run every day this year except one when my back was really hurting--I walked that day, so I am counting it. ) My weight--eh, not as good as I would like, but I am hanging in there.

ETA--I am a vegetarian---who occasionally has a hot dog or bacon. It's a sickness, what can I say. Ok, so maybe that doesn't make me a real vegetarian, but it is a very rare treat and I have to avoid so much other food that I don't feel too bad about it.
I laugh about the bacon and hotdogs because honestly, that is nothing that tempts me at all. If I was going to splurge on meat, it would probably be something like a nice rotisserie chicken or turkey leg. I miss poultry because we don't eat it very often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post

WOOHOOO! That is wonderful! You must have been smiling from ear to ear during your meeting!

Okay friends.... almost time to warm up my lunch so I can sit with the kiddos and eat. Neck pain is pretty bad today (although I can move okay) and coincidentally I did a full hour of incline work on the TM again last night.... probably not so much of a coincidence.

Looking forward to watching the new Survivor tonight as a family.... probably right after school. DS has robotics tonight but DD doesn't have swim, so we will have an after-school snack and watch it together before I throw dinner together and get the men out the door for 5:30pm.

Recess bell has rung, so I gotta dash! TTYL............P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #353
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Thanks for all the encouragement ladies! it's definitely helping me get my head back in the game.

I have to laugh at all the "veggies" out there. I am trying to head in that direction myself but boy do I love chicken! But hot dogs and bacon??! Blech!!! You would all LOVE an event that's going on down here at the Seminole Coconut Creek Casino - BaconFest! It's over 20 vendors cooking their best bacon dishes, a bacon poetry contest, and even an appearance by the Bacon Brothers...yup, THAT Bacon brother Kevin. It turns my stomach just to think about it. The bacon, not the brother. What is up with this crazy pig fat obsession??? So far all you pig fat fans, here's the link to the website. Drool away my friends!

http://www.seminolecoconutcreekcasin...t/baconfest-fl

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #354
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

PlutoBaby.......I only like lean pig not fat pig....bacon with no fat, we call it 'middle' in the UK, not that streaky stuff you all eat

For those who don't know and are curious...'Bingo Wings' is the UK name for the saggy bits of skin under your upper arms...if you hold your arms out to the sides they sag, looking like 'wings'!!!!
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #355
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

oops, duplicate post!!!!
Old 02-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #356
50sjayne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post
Good Friday morning and hello! I am Jill, your coach for this week

A little about myself~This is my 5th season of challenges here on the WISH. I love the support and great ideas everyone shares. I am 36 and a teacher of history (and all special ed) at a private alternative school for 5th-12th grades. I am married with 2 DSs (9 & 6) and we live in western PA. I am struggling to lose the last 10 pounds I need to loose, but I'm chugging along.

I am going to post the QOTD and then come back for replies.

QOTD Friday, February 15
If you could design your own home gym, what equipment would be a necessity to have? Or, if you already have a home gym, what equipment do you have and what do you use the most?

Jill
Welcome Jill :-)

A good sized nice mat, free weights, elliptical, top of the line tv and stereo system.

I really don't have anything at home anymore that I use anyway. Still have a mat, and the free weights--somewhere---. Have my bikes and my skateboard.
A few years ago I donated my exercise equipment to a garage sale (my local low cost non profit spay and neuter clinic) I gave them a stationary cycle, (the cool kind with back support and digital) an old stair stepper, (that was my favorite) and one of those fold up treadmills.
Since I do the yearly membership at my local parks and rec place I didn't use them much any more--nothing was as challenging for me as the stuff at the gym. Also my husband would have to move them every Christmas and Halloween because I wanted them in the front room with the stereo and the good tv.

I'm down 2 pounds this week! Cool I get to go to the animated short thing.
It's funny--I'm already at my goal for the challenge this month, but of course I made myself a new long term goal. I am getting more and more excited about getting the tattoo. It is extremely motivating-- plus I went and told everyone so that is added motivation.

Had a great V-Day yesterday, love my new coffee pot-- it's so pretty! Husband also got me a cadbury egg which are my favorite, waited until this am to have it, tried to cut it in half-- of course that didn't work so I ate it all lol.

Quote:
BRB smilie police -- sheeze!
Lol-- they are always after you. Yeah my new bike is a one speed so it's a little more work-- which I like--it's about a half hour ride if I'm doing a reasonable pace, of course I'm always going full speed and do it in about 20-25, depending on lights. People kind of give me trouble about it because it's so far, but I'm used to that-- people used to think I was nuts when I was a teenager and jogging all the time, then it got cool. I can't run anymore-- I'm too top heavy and heard about too many running related injuries. I have an extremely low pain threshold and really try to avoid any kind of mishap. I very much enjoyed it when I did it though.

Quote:
It's just blasting my butt out of bed that is hard sometimes!
I feel you there...I absolutely love laying in the bed for awhile in the morning. There's always cats around to cuddle with, and it's just so nice and warm and peaceful. the only thing that really gets me out is the promise of food lol. I just do not get people who don't eat breakfast.

Quote:
Last night was a great dinner night with orangy roughy (fish), pasta, steamed broccoli and sauted spinach with a glass of red wine and some french cheese on crackers as an appetizer.
Wow! Great dinner.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #357
50sjayne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
PlutoBaby.......I only like lean pig not fat pig....bacon with no fat, we call it 'middle' in the UK, not that streaky stuff you all eat

For those who don't know and are curious...'Bingo Wings' is the UK name for the saggy bits of skin under your upper arms...if you hold your arms out to the sides they sag, looking like 'wings'!!!!
I figured that was it...lol. I noticed that a few years ago when I was trying on a sleeveless dress at a thrift shop in Palm Springs for the first time and have been dedicated to arm exercises since then lol. I figure having a tatto on my arm will help with keeping up with that.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #358
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Thanks for all the encouragement ladies! it's definitely helping me get my head back in the game.

I have to laugh at all the "veggies" out there. I am trying to head in that direction myself but boy do I love chicken! But hot dogs and bacon??! Blech!!! You would all LOVE an event that's going on down here at the Seminole Coconut Creek Casino - BaconFest! It's over 20 vendors cooking their best bacon dishes, a bacon poetry contest, and even an appearance by the Bacon Brothers...yup, THAT Bacon brother Kevin. It turns my stomach just to think about it. The bacon, not the brother. What is up with this crazy pig fat obsession??? So far all you pig fat fans, here's the link to the website. Drool away my friends!

http://www.seminolecoconutcreekcasin...t/baconfest-fl
I'll have to have DH check out the link. He is a huge bacon fan. In fact, I found instructions on Pinterest on how to make bacon roses and was going to make him some for Valentine's day, but decided to go with the healthier strawberries. I know he loves bacon, but it is so dreadful for you, I didn't want to encourage eating it.

Quote:

Sounds a bit healthier.

We just call those chicken wings.... I like your name better! And I've got a lovely pair!!

OH MY GOSH! This class is driving me crazy today! Like.... INSANE! Like... drinking-on-a-Friday-night crazy!! THANK GOODNESS there is less than an hour left and I can relax tonight!! Not sure if it is a leftover sugar high from yesterday or what, but they are just being so very naughty!

I did not plan anything for dinner tonight because I wasn't sure until yesterday what the schedule was going to be, as I didn't have the swim entries yet and the Robotics schedule has been changing lately. As it turns out, DD and I will be home and the guys will be out. So I may just feed them before they leave and then share a healthy pizza with DD after they leave.

DD is swimming NHSA Regionals this weekend, but it will be later in the day on Saturday and Sunday (traveling about 90 minutes each way both days). I would much prefer to rise early and get the day started, but will adjust my schedule accordingly. That said, it will mean dinner on-the-go both days. I may make some quinoa stew tonight and pack my thermos both days.

Since the number on the scale this morning was NOT what I was looking for, I will need to be careful over the weekend. Maybe my weekend splurge(s) last weekend were too much?? Anyhow, time to take inventory of my fridge and freezer, plan next week's meals, and make sure I have a really great OP week next week!! I will post my menu and workout schedule tonight or tomorrow. Having some accountability here will definitely help, especially with the exercise! With DD not heading to the Y in the morning any more, it is a bit tougher for me to be motivated to get in all of the exercise that I should. I am also working at least two days next week, which will make things a bit tighter. But the money is appreciated, especially with a new roof in our near future!

TTYL............P

Old 02-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #359
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Quote:

I call that my wing span. And no matter how many pushups or tricep exercises I do, it never seems to go away!

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #360
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

I suspect I will have the same issue!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: